Silversea vs Regent

darn88

For those familiar with Silversea of years past, you have got to cruise on the Muse, new Moon and soon to be launched Dawn. I was uber impressed by Muse 14 months ago. I understand that these newer ships which have a few major (to me) improvements in the Dolce Vita Bar and slightly arger (and superb) Atlantide restaurant. Then there are the other 6 dining venues which, apart from Hot Rocks which I don’t care for either, deliver wonderful quality and authenticity, according to its theme. Did I mention the above the authentic above pool deck pizza restaurant? Bellissima! Muse and her sisters have real ie longer and deeper swimming pools and a wonderful top deck walk/run around track than does Seabourn. Very appealing! Super for warm weather cruises! Waaaay different from my time on the old Whisper and Cloud. As mentioned above, Seabourn is better for entertainment and spontaneity, in my view. Formal, casual and informal dress codes are ok with me; we pack for all occasions since we can and recall when glamor and atmosphere lived happily together.

I admit I know nothing about Regent. So nothing to suggest. Not likely to join it either in the next 2 years. I have great cruises on Silversea’s newer ships and all the Seabourn ships diarized, some paid- for fully.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Please let me clarify my post above about Regent’s base level suite sizes. Only the two newest ships, Explorer and Splendor have those too-small base level suites — I hesitate to call them suites. The other ships in Regent’s fleet have nice sized base suites. I haven’t measured and calculated, but the base suites on these other Regent ships feel about the same size (or larger) than those on Silversea’s Wind and Whisper.

Lois,

I am big on swimming and the Muse offers the best pool on any ship I have experienced. In contrast and in relation to passenger ratios, the Seabourn ships are paddling pools- short and shallow, more suited to standing about and socializing. The Muse pool waaay is longer and deeper.

That said, the Seabourn ships’ poolside activities such as Caviar in the Surf, actually in the pool, is a winner. Unless it is conducted on one of its renowned beach barbecue days in Thailand, the Caribbean, the UAE or somewhere else, it is in the pool. So much fun. I have never been on a Silversea crossing of the equator but Seabourn does a wonderful pool side event with King Neptune and his court. All thanks to their CDs and large entertainment team, larger than I have encountered on Silversea ships.

Back to what can be improved on Silversea, and in one phrase, it would be the CD and entertainment depth and quality, ie that part of the software, and I know that will take more investment. The food and hardware of Muse, and now her sisters, are more than good enough for me!

Edited by markham

10 minutes ago, markham said:

Lois,

I am big on swimming and the Muse offers the best pool on any ship I have experienced. In contrast and in relation to passenger ratios, the Seabourn ships are paddling pools- short and shallow, more suited to standing about and socializing. The Muse pool waaay is longer and deeper.

That said, the Seabourn ships’ poolside activities such as Caviar in the Surf, actually in the pool, is a winner. Unless it is conducted on one of its renowned beach barbecue days in Thailand, the Caribbean, the UAE or somewhere else, it is in the pool. So much fun. I have never been on a Silversea crossing of the equator but Seabourn does a wonderful pool side event with King Neptune and his court. All thanks to their CDs and large entertainment team, larger than I have encountered on Silversea ships.

Back to what can be improved on Silversea, and in one phrase, it would be the CD and entertainment depth and quality, ie that part of the software, and I know that will take more investment. The food and hardware of Muse, and now her sisters, are more than good enough for me!

Hi, I thought you mentioned something about activities at the pool that was in the "mass market" category......what was it that was not enjoyable? I am really just curious because normally there is a very relaxing vibe at the pool......without any loud music or games (that I can remember)......

Lois,

I have not encountered anything mass market about poolside activities on Silversea or Seabourn. And yes, Silversea poolside is calm and relaxing.

What I meant to address was the cringing intros performed on my last Silversea cruise in the Panorama Bar and the same childish tone and content carried on the tannoy when the CD decided to entertain himself rather than behave in keeping with the quality of the ship. That manner does not impress me at all. Of course, who doesn’t like fun and frivolity on occasion, and poolside I maintain this is well executed by Seabourn CDs, as mentioned above. Ditto their officers on deck party with various contests, and also the amateur boat building contest, in addition to what I mentioned above. Just more entertainment, so to speak. Plus those big sail away parties with opera or maybe dancing. Good on Seabourn’s CDs and their department’s organization!

Sorry for any confusion. 

2 hours ago, cruiseej said:

On Silversea, when we sailed the Cloud, I was disappointed that while there is a forward observation lounge, it does not have a bar -- so it isn't as great a place to gather for drinks before dinner watching the sun go down, or after dinner for drinks and piano music. We'll be sailing on the Wind this winter, but I see it also has only a small forward observation lounge labeled as "observation library," so I assume it also lacks a bar and piano.

It (Cloud and Wind) does come equipped with a telephone and a drink or two is no more than a short call away. The other, slightly larger ships have a bar.

Edited by Silver Spectre
  • Like 1

Only been on 1 Regent (Explorer in the Med) but was not a fan of the way they handled the tours.  Take your tour ticket to the theatre, stand in line to turn it in for another ticket, sit until they call your number, parade out to bus with group.  The food was great, the service was great except for the morning buffet.  The ship seemed glitzy-er than Ss ships.

Would those prevent me from sailing Regent again?  No.  However, as someone said above, Regent's current solo fares are a deal breaker.  I am constitutionally opposed to a 100% markup.

16 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

It (Cloud and Wind) does come equipped with a telephone and a drink or two is no more than a short call away.

Yes, indeed; there is no possibility of suffering from a lack of libations. 😉 

But the lack of a forward observation lounge being a bit larger and having a bar makes it a completely different kind of place. On our Cloud trip, there were rarely many people in the observation lounge, and it was hushed like a library. That can be great if you want a quiet place to gaze out at the water or passing scenery. But it lacks the wonderful ambiance and character of other ships' forward observation lounges where people gather throughout the day and evening. I know the Cloud and Wind are quite a bit smaller than the other Silversea or Seabourn ships, so I understand -- I just feel something is missing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiseej said:

Yes, indeed; there is no possibility of suffering from a lack of libations. 😉 

But the lack of a forward observation lounge being a bit larger and having a bar makes it a completely different kind of place. On our Cloud trip, there were rarely many people in the observation lounge, and it was hushed like a library. That can be great if you want a quiet place to gaze out at the water or passing scenery. But it lacks the wonderful ambiance and character of other ships' forward observation lounges where people gather throughout the day and evening. I know the Cloud and Wind are quite a bit smaller than the other Silversea or Seabourn ships, so I understand -- I just feel something is missing.

As the expedition leader on the Cloud said to me when I complained about him waking me up too early ‘you don’t come on an expedition cruise to sleep or enjoy yourself’, so maybe that applies to drinking in Tor’s Observation Lounge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

As the expedition leader on the Cloud said to me when I complained about him waking me up too early ‘you don’t come on an expedition cruise to sleep or enjoy yourself’, so maybe that applies to drinking in Tor’s Observation Lounge.

You don't come to sleep? I agree, and I'll get up as early as necessary to partake in what the voyage has to offer.

You don't come to enjoy yourself? Umm, wrong! We're not coming there to work. We're not exploring uncharted territory. We're coming to vacation. To see. To explore. To experience. And also to drink, dine, meet people and to enjoy the atmosphere of being on a cruise. (At least on Seabourn or Silversea; perhaps not if you book passage on a freighter.)

Take a look at the pictures and descriptions of the new Silver Origin, or Seabourn's new Venture, and try to tell me that they're not selling personal enjoyment. I guess the fire pit at the back of the aft lounge is there to help heat the ship, not for enjoyment, eh? 😉 

Again, no one shall suffer from having a quiet observation lounge without a bar (especially when a drink can be summoned via a quick phone call); I'm only saying I find a full-service forward observation lounge  a special place I enjoy on most of the ships I've sailed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not to knock Regent but we find that Regent is a more inclusive Oceania.  Definitely less formal that Silversea.  Food is a preference, but both are good. 

For us we are itinerary driven.  SS does tend to do more special itineraries that we prefer.  Expeditions both North and South continents,  West Africa and our next SS which is a circumnavigation of Japan.  Regent has one Japan cruise in 2022 but it only does the South and misses the Cherry blossom season.

When we search for a cruise, we generally look at Crystal, SS and RSSC in that order.

Edited by PaulMCO

I'm also trying to compare the onboard experience between Regent and the new Silversea ships.  Like cruiseej I spend a lot of time in the forward observation lounges.  In looking at the Moon deck plan it seems to me the Panorama lounge would be the equivalent gathering place just looking aft.  Would Silversea/Regent folks comment on this.  TIA.

The observation lounge on our first Regent cruise (Voyager) was an absolute blast.  There was a very vibrant & friendly crowd before and after dinner.  The waiter and bartender were absolute gems, we were always greeted with a smile and they knew our drink preferences after 2 days.  Quite often in the afternoon around 3 I'd walk to the observation lounge and get my wife a chardonnay and myself a champagne.  After the second day I never had to ask the bartender would just hand them to me with a smile, I actually had to ask her to pour less of the Chardonnay.

Unfortunately our observation lounge experience on our second Regent cruise (Mariner) was a stark opposite.   There were so few people there after a few days we stopped going.   The service was cold and un welcoming.   On one occasion we sat and waited for 5-10 minutes while the staff had a conversation behind the bar.    When I went to get our afternoon chardonnay and champagne the bartender (definitely not smiling)  poured my champagne and didn't wait for the bubbles to subside to re pour  thus handing me a 1/2 full champagne.  My wife's chardonnay was maybe a third full, the bottle was empty I guess she was to busy to open another, the bar was empty.  I actually had to start asking her to pour more in the future.  The champagne was also of much lower quality.

This is an interesting discussion, and a  timely one for me. We are considering either Regent or Silversea for our next cruise. We are experience cruisers and travelers, but haven't sailed on either line.  I find  appealing cruises an both lines when I search.

So it boils down to itinerary (most important), ship(500-900 passengers preferred), excellent food and service, and nice public areas.

When I read this thread it seems much like any similar one on the Holland America or Celebrity board.

The same gripes and comparisons, although not nearly as much about cost cutting.

I suspect either Silversea or Regent will be enjoyable.

6 minutes ago, rervousneck said:

This is an interesting discussion, and a  timely one for me. We are considering either Regent or Silversea for our next cruise. We are experience cruisers and travelers, but haven't sailed on either line.  I find  appealing cruises an both lines when I search.

So it boils down to itinerary (most important), ship(500-900 passengers preferred), excellent food and service, and nice public areas.

When I read this thread it seems much like any similar one on the Holland America or Celebrity board.

The same gripes and comparisons, although not nearly as much about cost cutting.

I suspect either Silversea or Regent will be enjoyable.

Hi, welcome aboard😃....I suppose that is the "life of a message board"..........compare and contrast......

I sailed with Celebrity for nearly 15 years on a regular basis. 2017 happened and I was able to try SS.

I have never looked back........there really is a difference when you compare 2500/3000 guests to 500/600 guests.   

Funny thing is I rarely go up to the lounge everyone is talking about. I prefer the AFT area.....Panorama Lounge and that outside area...I love that location....there are couches out there......so enjoyable.😃

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 6:24 AM, alainciao said:

I'm also trying to compare the onboard experience between Regent and the new Silversea ships.  Like cruiseej I spend a lot of time in the forward observation lounges.  In looking at the Moon deck plan it seems to me the Panorama lounge would be the equivalent gathering place just looking aft.  Would Silversea/Regent folks comment on this.  TIA.

The Panorama Lounge probably is the equivalent but on the Moon deck plan there is a forward facing Observation Library but the card room takes up some space that would have been Observation Lounge space on the older ships.  I guess you could still order coffee or a drink there but the ambiance may not be as lively.  

I love being in the observation lounge early mornings as the ship pulls into port so that will still be possible on the Moon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Funny thing is I rarely go up to the lounge everyone is talking about. I prefer the AFT area.....Panorama Lounge and that outside area...I love that location....there are couches out there.

Just to clarify: although I wrote above about my enjoyment of the forward Observation Lounge on several ships, I would like it to be clear that I spend time in ALL lounges on every ship, and enjoy them all. 🙂

• Like 4