Silversea vs Regent

darn88

So...I have booked my first Regent cruise for next year.  Absolutely can't wait to experience this cruise line for the first time as I have heard/read so many great things about it.

In searching through itineraries, I also found one we like on Silversea which is another cruise line I have not sailed on as of yet.  

Could someone who has experience with both lines give me some sort of idea of the differences (positive and negative) between these two lines?  I have not found a great source of information on this.  It appears that Regent is the better value which is one of the things that attracted us in the first place.  Just want to make sure we made the right decision.

Thanks in advance for your help with this.

• Like 1

well, I have over 250 days on Regent and over 150 on Silversea.  For traditional cruising, we prefer Regent as we prefer the dining on Regent in general.  Not to say that Silversea doesn't have great food.  It is just more European.  The suites are very comparable.  Both very comfortable.  

We mostly do expedition cruising on Silversea as Regent doesn't offer that.  We like the active excursions, etc.  Sometimes depending on itinerary, you can find a hiking excursion on Regent, but not routinely.  

But I would happily sail on either.  I would just pick the itinerary that appealed most, and if you find a good price as well, even better. 

• Like 4

I had many nights on Regent before they stopped offering reasonable single supplements.  I was accustomed to paying a 40% premium.  Now it is often 100%.

Regent is a fine brand, but I prefer Silversea for various reasons:

• IMHO, the perks for regular guests are more generous on Silversea (e.g., free laundry after 100 nights, substantial discounts on cruises after reaching various levels, free seven night cruise after reaching 350 nights (I am writing from memory).
  • Butler service to all guests on Silversea.  Regent offers this service only on higher priced categories.  The butler can be very helpful.
  • Less of a class system on Silversea.  On Regent access to various perks, priority booking, etc., depends upon how much one has paid for passage.
  • (For a solo traveler), much more reasonable single supplements on most Silversea sailings booked reasonably far in advance. 
  • Like 4

For a balanced perspective on both lines, suggest you also post this Silversea vs. Regent question on the Silversea board.

We have over 200 days on both lines; having about 25 days booked on Silversea this year.  We have about 25 days booked on Regent next year with 39 days booked on Silversea in 2022 (Expedition voyages)

For classic voyages we will generally pick Regent over Silversea as we have more fun on Regent during the daytime.   We enjoy the games and how the officer and entertain staff (they run the games) participates with guests in friendly games.   The cruise director on Regent during the day is much more active on Regent during classic voyages.  Also, we enjoy the dance classes given by the Regent entertainment team  For expedition voyages (Antarctica, Svalbard, Africa, Australia (Kimberley region) we choose Silversea as Regent has no Expedition option.

We enjoy the dining & service experience on both lines but prefer the Italian venue on Silversea (Italian line originally now majority owned by RCL).  We love being able to get an expresso or Cappuccino any time we want at the self serve machines on Regent.  On Silversea if you want coffee before 6:30am you have to order room service.

As gym rats we find the Regent gym/spa experience better as the gym is better equipped, personal trainers give more classes and the Spa experience is more enjoyable. Fitness classes have more space on Regent in devoted and reasonable spaces vs small class areas or no fitness class space on Silversea.

We enjoy the culinary teaching experience on Silversea much more than we have on Regent.  Silversea has a dedicated Executive Chef (David Bilsland) who not only gives cooking demonstrations, knife classes and small cooking classes; this month he now will help implement Silversea's newest culinary experience  in Greece on the Silver Moon's near dozen Greece voyages,  called S.A.L.T (Sea and Land Taste).  We have done Market shopping with David in Spain, buying an Imberico ham that he carved and served as appetizers in the restaurant venues that evening.   Silversea also has their own wine ambassador, Lawrence D'almedia who gives outstanding wine classes at no charge and fabulous tastings (Super Tuscans anyone) for a small charge.

The suites on both Regent and Silversea are wonderful.  We like the soap/shampoo on Regent (L'occitane vs Bvlgari) more than on Silversea.  Silversea for a nice touch includes a small flashlight to use at night complimentary on you suite's nightstand when boarding.

We believe the frequent floater program on Silversea far exceeds that on Regent (we got 5% of all future cruises and free laundry at 100 days cruised on Silversea vs 200 on Regent to earn free laundry, we will get 10% off future Silversea voyages after the maiden voyages of Silversea's newest ship, Silver Dawn this November.  And next year after 350 days sailed we will get a complimentary seven day cruise.

As posters above note both lines are enjoyable, we are blessed/fortunate to be able to sail both lines.

Hope this helps.

Edited by WesW
  • Like 5

We have cruised on both lines.Being from the Colorado Mountains, we find Silversea a bit too formal (what is this thing called a tie?). But we do like it’s smaller size. We find Regent ships a bit too large for our liking, and the Explorer and Splendor have tiny suites at the base level. (You will want to upgrade on those). So, for us, it all comes down to available itinerary and price. We have found things like food and service to be about equal.  

17 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

the Explorer and Splendor have tiny suites at the base level. (You will want to upgrade on those).

My recollection from my latest RSSC cruise was that the entry level suites were generally comparable in size to those on Silversea. 

I had heard complaints about suite size from friends who had moved from Regent to Silversea, but I have not travelled on these (more recent) Regent ships, so I was not aware of the details.  

I just checked, and the results were surprising to me.  The entry level suites on Splendor are 219 or 253 sq ft (not including balcony).  The entry level non-balcony Vista suite on SS's latest ship, Moon, is 334 sq ft.  It would appear that standard balcony suites on Moon are 323 sq ft.  On the other hand, it seems as if balconies on most basic Splendor suites are larger than those on Moon. 

Interesting thread.  Would the enhanced shipboard activities and smaller suites on Regent be a result of the larger pax count than SS?  Wondering also about tour group size between the two.

Edited by Gourmet Gal
Msp

Now that both lines include shore excursions in the fare, it's also necessary to compare the shore excursion offerings.  If those on a particular cruise don't really float your boat, the value proposition goes right out the porthole!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolebludger said:

Being from the Colorado Mountains, we find Silversea a bit too formal (what is this thing called a tie?). 

Being from Colorado, that’s what we love about Silversea. People like us who live in such a causal environment can dress up as formally as we like in the Restaurant or La Dame, while other Coloradans can enjoy not dressing up in the other dining venues on the same night.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, amusea said:

I just discovered that excursions are not included on the 2021 Alaska Silversea sailings.

That’s the way it’s always been.  

Included excursions, and subsequently, more expensive cruise fares, don’t start until various dates in 2022.  For example, although excursions are included on the Moon for these 2021 Greek restart voyages, they are not included in this upcoming winter’s voyages in Asia.  And, as Spinnaker noted, the SALT Lab excursions on the restart voyages also come with a rather hefty price tag.

• Like 1

This thread led me to research Silversea.  We’ve mainly cruised Regent and Seabourn.  I looked at the deck plans for the newer ships and am curious about the entertainment experience.  The theater seems to be small and yet there are several venues.  Can anyone shed some light on the differences?  TIA😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alainciao said:

This thread led me to research Silversea.  We’ve mainly cruised Regent and Seabourn.  I looked at the deck plans for the newer ships and am curious about the entertainment experience.  The theater seems to be small and yet there are several venues.  Can anyone shed some light on the differences?  TIA😀

I am not certain that I understand your question. I assume that you are speaking of evening/after dinner entertainment.  

I have never been unable to get a seat for a show in the main theater.  You will not find on Silversea the lavish production shows you will find on much larger ships.  Many of the shows are by the Voices of Silversea, a group of young singers and dancers room one will see around the ship and may come to know personally by the end of the cruise.

In certain ports with overnight stops or very late departures, a local group will be brought on board to entertain.

There will always be music in Panorama and in Dolce Vita.

Finally, there is the wonderful supper club, Silver Note, on the recent ships.

The current 2 larger ships of Silversea are the same size as the Seabourn Encore and Ovation. The production shows are more sophisticated and also the number of entertainers on Seabourn ships is greater. This is apples to apples. On a related note, the CDs on Seabourn are more outgoing, friendly, visible and in tune with their guests, in my view. None of the hokey ie cringing and loud humor from mass market lines which to me diminishes the ambience of a luxury line. I saw a bit activity of this last year on Muse and was disappointed.

In my view, there are many things to like on both lines but here Seabourn excels. That’s why we sail on both.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, markham said:

...the CDs on Seabourn are more outgoing, friendly, visible and in tune with their guests, in my view. None of the hokey ie cringing and loud humor from mass market lines which to me diminishes the ambience of a luxury line. I saw a bit activity of this last year on Muse and was disappointed.

I can think of a number of SS CDs who are just as "outgoing, friendly, visible and in tune with their guests" as I would want.  But I have also encountered on SS one CD who apparently thinks he is on a mass market line (I believe he previously was) and who insists on doing his lame comedy act on the PA system throughout the ship. Matters alcoholic figured conspicuously in his comments.  Perhaps this CD was the one you "enjoyed" on Muse.

It was about apples to apples re entertainment ie on ships of similar sizes. Someone had mentioned bigger ships and I wanted to explain that it is not not only bigger ships that have what I consider better entertainment.

It’s ok to mention Seabourn unless I have missed something. And of course you can tie things back to Regent! Over to you.

33 minutes ago, docmark said:

I thought this thread was comparing SS to Regent, how did Seaborn get in here?

I suppose because those who have cruised all three lines (I have done at least 5 on each) find Seabourn superior - but in answer to this particular query,  if I had to choose it would be Silversea.  A touch more refined, with better staff.  And the smaller ships.

On Regent, avoid the Navigator which frustratingly has the best RSS itineraries. It's their smallest ship.  I like Regent a lot, especially the informal ambience, but for me the drawback is the lack of any expedition experience  and the fact that none of their ships have a forward-facing observation deck/lounge. 

Silversea is just as good, with better ships, but is more formal.   I have major misgivings about Silversea's dining options.  Paying for Le Dame etc is a major no-no and I absolutely detest that 'hot rocks' thing.

Seabourn is the best of all worlds.

51 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

For me the drawback [of Regent] is the lack of any expedition experience  and the fact that none of their ships have a forward-facing observation deck/lounge. 

I agree that a forward observation lounge can be one of the nicest places to relax on a ship, but that's not correct. On Voyager, the main Observation lounge in on Deck 11 at the front of the ship. And Mariner is similar, but it's Deck 12 at the front of the ship. We sailed Mariner in Alaska, and I spent a lot of time in that lounge (and popping outside for pictures).  On the newer Explorer and Splendor, there's a forward observation lounge on Deck 11. Only the smaller, older Navigator in the Regent fleet is lacking a forward observation lounge.

On Silversea, when we sailed the Cloud, I was disappointed that while there is a forward observation lounge, it does not have a bar -- so it isn't as great a place to gather for drinks before dinner watching the sun go down, or after dinner for drinks and piano music. We'll be sailing on the Wind this winter, but I see it also has only a small forward observation lounge labeled as "observation library," so I assume it also lacks a bar and piano. I know we all not lack for drinks onboard. 😉 But I find something magical about a forward observation lounge which is equally suited to sightseeing during the day, unwinding as people gather before dinner, and relaxing after dinner. 

And while we're comparing this specific feature, I'll add that all the Seabourn ships have a nice forward Observation lounge/bar. (On the Odyssey/Sojourn/Quest triplets, it's on deck 10, so we and friends have subsequently called all observation bars "10 Forward", in a tip of the hat to Star Trek. 😉 )

Edited by cruiseej

4 hours ago, markham said:

The current 2 larger ships of Silversea are the same size as the Seabourn Encore and Ovation. The production shows are more sophisticated and also the number of entertainers on Seabourn ships is greater. This is apples to apples. On a related note, the CDs on Seabourn are more outgoing, friendly, visible and in tune with their guests, in my view. None of the hokey ie cringing and loud humor from mass market lines which to me diminishes the ambience of a luxury line. I saw a bit activity of this last year on Muse and was disappointed.

In my view, there are many things to like on both lines but here Seabourn excels. That’s why we sail on both.

What kind of pool activities are you talking about? Just curious......I have been on 3 sailings and don't remember anything outlandish at the pool.