Specialty Dining Prices

dfish

5 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

5 star mariners  will save a few $$

So what?  If the restaurant doesn't deliver the dining experience that I expect it to deliver, then I have wasted what ever I spent regardless of the "savings".  Tamarind and Canalleto specifically come to mind along with any visit to a PG when I wonder:  what will this dining experience be like.

The only recently consistent specialty restaurant on HAL that I have experienced--stand alone or pop-up--is Sel de Mer.  I'll pay for a quality experience when I know it will be consistently good will do so quite willingly.  This business of a "crap shoot" with a booking at PG, etc. as to satisfaction has grown "old".  

2 hours ago, zelker said:

IIRC, someone posted recently that they were going to start applying an 18% service charge to specialty dining.  If you add 18% to the former pricing, these new prices reflect that, right?  Or is there 18% on TOP of these new prices?  😳

The prices OP posted -

• Canaletto     $22.40
  • Pinnacle Grill     $46.00
  • Sel de Mar (pop up)   $57.80
  • Tamarind     $34.20

So adding 18% to old pricing comes out to -

• Canaletto $19 + 18% = $22.40
  • PG   $39 + 18% = $46.00
  • Sel de Mer   $49 + 18% = $57.80
  • Tamarind  THIS one stumps me - I thought it was $25 which should then make it $29.50 according to my theory but this reflects a 37% increase ... maybe someone in Accounting can't do math 🙄

Ahh now it makes sense.  I thought the 18% would be in addition to the new price.

Thanks for doing the math 🙂 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

With an excellent Chef in charge of the Pinnacle Grill and a Manager that properly manages the restaurant, the increase is worth it.

Sel de Mer--stand alone or pop-up--if my dining experience remains, or improves, from what I have had--the price increase will be willingly paid.

For the others others, let them fade into the past.  Promising when they were introduced?  Yes.  The promise was never properly executed, consistently, on HAL ships.  

Consistency is the key.

If there are dedicated chefs and crew they are all good.

I never liked the Canaletto until I had it on the Prinsendam.  It was fabulous.

Only did the Tamarind on the N Amsterdam and it was very good.

My Pinnacle experiences have varied on ships so there is where I have seen the challenges for consistency.  Some have been excellent, some good and one we gave up on.  

My best experiences have been on the P’dam and Rotterdam and Westerdam for PG dinners.  You could tell the Manager took pride and liked what they did and everything showed.

But it all reflects from the top down IMO.  A good HD (and captain) exude the enthusiasm to do a good job and it shows.

Hopefully with just a few ships starting, we’ll see some honing of skills and consistency that may spread throughout the fleet.  After all, it’s not that big anymore and with the service charge added it may inspire.  🤞 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Red Haired Lady said:

I found this information from 2015 about a complimentary set lunch menu in the Tamarind.  I doubt it is still correct, but sure would be nice!  Anyone know if it still existed pre-shutdown?

A Look at the Dim Sum Lunch in Holland America’s Tamarind Restaurant (travelingwiththejones.com)

It doesn’t unless they start it back up.  The Tamarind lunch was cancelled some time ago.  We had it and honestly, it wasn’t all that great.  Dinner is the star.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

Consistency is the key.

If there are dedicated chefs and crew they are all good.

I never liked the Canaletto until I had it on the Prinsendam.  It was fabulous.

Only did the Tamarind on the N Amsterdam and it was very good.

My Pinnacle experiences have varied on ships so there is where I have seen the challenges for consistency.  Some have been excellent, some good and one we gave up on.  

My best experiences have been on the P’dam and Rotterdam and Westerdam for PG dinners.  You could tell the Manager took pride and liked what they did and everything showed.

But it all reflects from the top down IMO.  A good HD (and captain) exude the enthusiasm to do a good job and it shows.

Hopefully with just a few ships starting, we’ll see some honing of skills and consistency that may spread throughout the fleet.  After all, it’s not that big anymore and with the service charge added it may inspire.  🤞 

I generally don't book Canaletto unless going with friends because it is so carb heavy.   

Interestingly, the only time I had some disappointment in the Pinnacle was on the Westerdam.   We ate there twice.  The first time the service was not so good.  The second time we had the same waiter and all was wonderful.  I guess he was just having an off night the first time.  We were such good customers at the Pinnacle on the Rotterdam one summer that they sent us a plate of chocolates.  Service was excellent on that cruise and we really enjoyed our dinners there.  

5 minutes ago, kazu said:

Hopefully with just a few ships starting, we’ll see some honing of skills and consistency that may spread throughout the fleet.

How many posts have I made on CC that advocate the theory that is the ship's Master and HD that make the difference in one's cruise experience?  

I will add that the ship's Executive Chef makes a difference as well in what my taste buds experience.  

• Like 1

Yay @dfish!!   Thank yooouuu for this thread.  I've been watching for dining, but didn't check today.  Now all set with sailaway Pinnacle and final night Tamarind for Alaska.   It makes it seem so real!  😊

Btw...we had The Best Pinnacle chef on Oosterdam right before the pandemic shut everything down.  We were so excited that he was with HAL.  Everything that came out of his kitchen was just perfect.  I suppose that gifted young man has gone on to other things.  😞   

Maybe he will come back!  👨‍🍳

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Yay @dfish!!   Thank yooouuu for this thread.  I've been watching for dining, but didn't check today.  Now all set with sailaway Pinnacle and final night Tamarind for Alaska.   It makes it seem so real!  😊

Btw...we had The Best Pinnacle chef on Oosterdam right before the pandemic shut everything down.  We were so excited that he was with HAL.  Everything that came out of his kitchen was just perfect.  I suppose that gifted young man has gone on to other things.  😞   

Maybe he will come back!  👨‍🍳

I'm laughing because we booked just the opposite - Tamarind for the first night, Pinnacle for the last night and the pop up Sel de Mer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zelker said:

IIRC, someone posted recently that they were going to start applying an 18% service charge to specialty dining.  If you add 18% to the former pricing, these new prices reflect that, right?  Or is there 18% on TOP of these new prices?  😳

The prices OP posted -

• Canaletto     $22.40
  • Pinnacle Grill     $46.00
  • Sel de Mar (pop up)   $57.80
  • Tamarind     $34.20

So adding 18% to old pricing comes out to -

• Canaletto $19 + 18% = $22.40
  • PG   $39 + 18% = $46.00
  • Sel de Mer   $49 + 18% = $57.80
  • Tamarind  THIS one stumps me - I thought it was $25 which should then make it $29.50 according to my theory but this reflects a 37% increase ... maybe someone in Accounting can't do math 🙄

My guess is all the prices are the same as pre pandemic with the exception of Tamarind, Instead of $25.00 they have raised the price to $29.00,  which then falls in line with everything ending with $9.00 😉  I just went in and booked our Tamarind, since we have the new current Have it All Promo for July 24th we need to wait till July 7th to make reservations for Pinnacle since that will be included with the Have it All.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rucrazy said:

Wonder if Pinnacle Lunch increased 18% as well?

I am guessing yes. If all specialty dining is receiving the service charge, the lunch should as well.

Have not seen any listing of the "Night at the Librije", which used to be on Eurodam and Rotterdam VI!

We have a booking on Eurodam and it is not listed under specialty dining. Would be sad if this were no longer available in my personal opinion, did see that Jonnie Boer is still a member of the culinary council.

7 hours ago, rucrazy said:

Wonder if Pinnacle Lunch increased 18% as well?

Still a great deal, especially with the Mariner discount.  Hopefully they don’t raise the base fare though like it appears they did with Tamarind.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, zelker said:

Still a great deal, especially with the Mariner discount.  Hopefully they don’t raise the base fare though like it appears they did with Tamarind.

They need to be careful not to price themselves out of the market.  Pinnacle dinner is very good but IMO not worth the high current price, especially with the new SC added.  You have to consider that you are paying for a MDR dinner in your fare on top of that (that you skip).

Now, once you are 4 or 5 Star, the value changes alot given the discount.

1 hour ago, Alphen said:

Have not seen any listing of the "Night at the Librije", which used to be on Eurodam and Rotterdam VI!

We have a booking on Eurodam and it is not listed under specialty dining. Would be sad if this were no longer available in my personal opinion, did see that Jonnie Boer is still a member of the culinary council.

I don’t think it is, sadly.  When we sailed on the Rotterdam, it wasn’t offered.  I was disappointed as I had so looked forward to it.  I think Sel de Mer has replaced it ?