Will Carnival ship be sailing full over the summer, or is it limited?

pokerguy90

I stopped going on carnival ships a while ago because I can’t stand how they pack it in. I love oasis size royal ships and never feel crowded ever. My 22 year old son who is in college wanted to try the sunrise and talked me into the aug 14th sailing. I am surely hoping it will be less capacity. We were on Oasis the last cruise out before covid, and now we will be on first sailing out on sunrise. 

13 minutes ago, renza said:

I stopped going on carnival ships a while ago because I can’t stand how they pack it in. I love oasis size royal ships and never feel crowded ever. My 22 year old son who is in college wanted to try the sunrise and talked me into the aug 14th sailing. I am surely hoping it will be less capacity. We were on Oasis the last cruise out before covid, and now we will be on first sailing out on sunrise. 

We took two Royal cruises in 2019 for the same reason. Carnival is just bad at handling large crowds. A week on a ship like the Vista, Sunrise or even the Dream can feel like a week of paying to stand in lines. Now I still love Spirit class ships with Carnival. That is where the Carnival experience shines in my opinion. 

I expect reduced capacity at least into September/October. 

Edited by asalligo
  • Like 3

I saw cruisecritic chris say rcl wouldnt open the buffet at dinner until capacity of 65% is reached. This sounds like people arent booking more than the cruiselines are not letting people book past a certain amount. 

Though I'll enjoy reduced capacity. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, asalligo said:

...Carnival is just bad at handling large crowds. A week on a ship like the Vista, Sunrise or even the Dream can feel like a week of paying to stand in lines. Now I still love Spirit class ships with Carnival. That is where the Carnival experience shines in my opinion. 

I agree, love the Legend and Pride.

• Like 2

There is no need to worry about full occupancy. So far the cruises that have operated across all lines are getting about 25-30 percent capacity. They are not limited to that number. There are just too few people who want to put up with all the hassles and uncertainty that go along with cruising until the covid stuff is over with. The cruise lines are also shooting them selves in the foot with constant schedule changes and cancellations.

Lower capacity will likely mean reduced staff and services so it does have a price.

• Thanks 1

I think something that is forgotten in all these discussions is also the ports.  I do not know if any of the ports are limiting capacity but if they are, then the cruise ships would have to keep that in mind when they are booking these ships.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Happicruzrr said:

Most industry news sites, and my experience,  says bookings are way up, and most sailings seem nearly sold out for the remainder of this year. Perhaps its propaganda. 

2022 bookings are way up. Prices this year seem way up - one way to limit capacity. The cruise lines can't lie about bookings - as a corporation they have to give accurate guidance.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Happicruzrr said:

Most industry news sites, and my experience,  says bookings are way up, and most sailings seem nearly sold out for the remainder of this year. Perhaps its propaganda. 

Maybe a little of both. Bookings are up in 2021 .. not necessarily for 2021 cruises, maybe for 2022 and 2023 made this year. Let's see how full some of these sailings go out before assuming they are nearly sold out or maybe at a lower capacity. 

1 hour ago, Cowboys4ever said:

I think something that is forgotten in all these discussions is also the ports.  I do not know if any of the ports are limiting capacity but if they are, then the cruise ships would have to keep that in mind when they are booking these ships.  

I think most of the foreign ports are small, aside from Cozumel.

Key West had port restrictions that were passed as a ballot initiative- i.e. direct democracy voted for by the people of Key West last November- basically 1 ship/1500 passengers debarking max.  But the Florida legislature added an amendment to a broader transportation bill this April and made port restrictions by ballot initiative illegal for all 15 FL ports.

1 hour ago, Happicruzrr said:

Of course bookings are way up for 2021 over 2020. 2020 was a year that sailings came to a halt. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/22/2021 at 3:22 PM, BlerkOne said:

2022 bookings are way up. Prices this year seem way up - one way to limit capacity. The cruise lines can't lie about bookings - as a corporation they have to give accurate guidance.

I agree--prices were way up until this week! We grabbed an 8-day cruise in July 2021 for $580 each (balcony!) --it had been $1300 just a few days ago! Under $600 was too good to pass up. 

5 minutes ago, Runaway Parent said:

I agree--prices were way up until this week! We grabbed an 8-day cruise in July 2021 for $580 each (balcony!) --it had been $1300 just a few days ago! Under $600 was too good to pass up. 

Sounds like the law of supply and demand at work. With all the uncertainties about what the cruise experience will be like on the initial cruises, it sounds like a lot less people are saying I am willing to cruise, especially at higher prices.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Sounds like the law of supply and demand at work. With all the uncertainties about what the cruise experience will be like on the initial cruises, it sounds like a lot less people are saying I am willing to cruise, especially at higher prices.

I agree--I just checked now, and the same cruise/same date is showing $1104 pp for a balcony. I'm glad we booked this morning!