Why Wait Until 2022 for Alaska?

jbpcalifornia

Just curious, are people awaiting for 2022 Alaska cruises because of personal reasons unrelated to covid?  Or are their significant concerns about the safety of going on an Alaska cruise in 2021, even though the cruises are for vaccinated passengers and crew only?  We've had concerns about the safety,  even though we've obviously been vaccinated, but are still considering a 2021 Alaska cruise.  We thought we'd await to see how a few cruises go and then decide, even though that will leave us with slim choices.  

14 minutes ago, jbpcalifornia said:

Just curious, are people awaiting for 2022 Alaska cruises because of personal reasons unrelated to covid?  Or are their significant concerns about the safety of going on an Alaska cruise in 2021, even though the cruises are for vaccinated passengers and crew only?  We've had concerns about the safety,  even though we've obviously been vaccinated, but are still considering a 2021 Alaska cruise.  We thought we'd await to see how a few cruises go and then decide, even though that will leave us with slim choices.  

Well, if you want to book a 2021 Alaskan cruise, you HD better book now.

They are going fast.

Yukon is having a bad outbreak (for us - not in U.S. standards) and people are being asked not to come.  Hopefully, it doesn’t travel.  🤞 

Everyone has to be have their own level of comfort.  If you are comfortable now, go and book and if you are not,  wait for 2022.   I don’t think you are going to have much of a chance to see how sailings are going without risking not getting a cabin you want or a cruise you want.  JMHO.

I am waiting only because Canada is closed.   I will be doing Denali, Yukon, cruise and then the Rocky Mountaineer in 2022.   That option is not available this year.  I am actually curtailing my travel this year.  I have been traveling in the last year but I am tired of half open cities, understaffed services and closed businesses.  I am saving my money for 2022. 

There are fewer ports of call in 2021, and it's the outside passage.  The marine life sightings in the inside passage are spectacular!

L.

Edited by leerathje

Had a cruise on Oosterdam for July 25 because it went to Hubbard Glacier rather than on Eurodam for July 24 that went to Glacier NP. Although I understand why HAL chose to cancel our cruise and offered us the July 24 cruise, we declined as we had already been to Glacier NP and wanted a new port. Sitka was a new to us port on both cruises. We are booked for our original itinerary in 2022. 

2 hours ago, cruzn single said:

I am booked and have already made final payment.  Can’t wait to board a BHB! 

Ditto.  Might even do it again next year, it's all we got if international borders stay closed to Americans.

I am confused here: My HAL Rep. specifically told me in Jan. 2021, ‘Your two 2021 ALASKA cruises you paid for are hereby cancelled. Period.’ Therefor, I am now rebooked (by HAL.. not a travel agent) for Sept, 2022 on the Noordam. QUESTION: Exactly who is absolutely, positively cruising to Alaska with HAL in 2021? Not I. 

10 hours ago, LocoLoco1 said:

I am confused here: My HAL Rep. specifically told me in Jan. 2021, ‘Your two 2021 ALASKA cruises you paid for are hereby cancelled. Period.’ Therefor, I am now rebooked (by HAL.. not a travel agent) for Sept, 2022 on the Noordam. QUESTION: Exactly who is absolutely, positively cruising to Alaska with HAL in 2021? Not I. 

Niew Amsterdam 8/21 Seattle/Seattle

10 hours ago, LocoLoco1 said:

We are on the Nieuw Amsterdam 9/4/21 to Alaska roundtrip Seattle/Seattle 

• Like 1

We're Cruising on Nieuw Amsterdam on July 24, 2021 which will be the first Cruise since the "Pause".

For us there are Pros to Cruising in AK for 2021.  There will be Reduced Capacity of Passengers Onboard, Less Ships Sailing in AK for 2021 which means less Passengers in the Ports, a full Sea Day instead of stopping in Victoria (been there, done that) and a longer day in Ketchikan.  

The Ship will be fully Vaccinated so we have no concerns about it.  If things aren't 100% the same as before the "Pause", we will just "go with the flow" and be happy we're back Onboard and Cruising again!  

Edited by idiebabe
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, idiebabe said:

We're Cruising on Nieuw Amsterdam on July 24, 2021 which will be the first Cruise since the "Pause".

And we'll all be watching and waiting for the Live reports.  😁

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, idiebabe said:

I just edited my Post and meant to add that Lisa "LaffinVegas" will be having a "Live".  Thanks!  

Yes and I can't wait!  Looks like you only have a month to go.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, idiebabe said:

For us there are Pros to Cruising in AK for 2021.  There will be Reduced Capacity of Passengers Onboard, Less Ships Sailing in AK for 2021 which means less Passengers in the Ports, a full Sea Day instead of stopping in Victoria (been there, done that) and a longer day in Ketchikan.  

The Ship will be fully Vaccinated so we have no concerns about it.  If things aren't 100% the same as before the "Pause", we will just "go with the flow" and be happy we're back Onboard and Cruising again!  

Excellent attitude!  If I wanted to go to Alaska I definitely would be right there with you.  But I'll have to be content to wait for our cruise later in the fall.  Cannot wait to hear everything!

• Like 1

I am so very excited for my Alaska 2021 cruise on NA. I am booked for 2022 with my mom but will be going on my first solo cruise which I booked a couple weeks ago. I couldn't resist with: limited capacity onboard and reduced number of ships in port, onboard experience basically back to normal, extremely rare opportunity for a US only cruise on a large ship, round trip from my hometown of Seattle. Should be an easy, relaxing and much needed vacation. 

10 hours ago, zgscl said:

I am so very excited for my Alaska 2021 cruise on NA. I am booked for 2022 with my mom but will be going on my first solo cruise which I booked a couple weeks ago. I couldn't resist with: limited capacity onboard and reduced number of ships in port, onboard experience basically back to normal, extremely rare opportunity for a US only cruise on a large ship, round trip from my hometown of Seattle. Should be an easy, relaxing and much needed vacation. 

Yay! All the more reason to go. I’m looking forward to my 9/25 cruise. It’s my first time with HAL What date is your sailing? 

6 minutes ago, tmt218 said:

Yay! All the more reason to go. I’m looking forward to my 9/25 cruise. It’s my first time with HAL What date is your sailing? 

I’m going out on 8/14. 

We love HAL, I hope you have a fabulous sailing 

OP, @jbpcalifornia, maybe some people are like us.  We weren't badly burned by the covid cruise fallout.  We missed some travel, but cancelled in time to get quick refunds and there  was no stress over any of our changed plans.  That probably is making us braver to dip a toe back in and see what happens.  If we were still waiting for refunds or had been shuffled around a lot, we'd probably be more cautious.  

We have confidence in the vaccines, so aren't nervous about that.  If ports are missed, sailing in Alaska is beautiful no matter.  And the sea air is a tonic.  So we're boarding in September, God willing, and really looking forward to it.