How would I fit in on Cunard?

AtSeaWithChris

7 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

My goodness if you have to asked a question like this you certainly haven't done enough Cunard homework. I'm a bit confused, you mention "travel agent training" , presumably this is needed for the product you sell  ?

Dress codes and sophisticated evenings after 6pm are very much part of the DNA of Cunard .

Will you be directed to the Buffet in a Polo shirt ( assuming you mean without a jacket ) ?  I'm afraid you will. 

Cunard have additional venues for those guests who prefer to relax and dress more casually in the evenings   

There are a few oddities in the dress code / public space mappings - for example the G32 nightclub is casual dress, but the only access is via the Queens Room. The Queens Room is not only dress code compliant, its where the 'theme' is mostly observed.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I haven't been on any of Cunard's Alaska itineraries, but it's my understanding that the dress codes have indeed been slightly relaxed on those itineraries with jackets optional the evening of embarkation day in Vancouver. I've read a report here that jackets were optional during the last evening of QE's Alaska itineraries as well.

That is what made me take a second look at Cunard. I am still looking. We have our 30th coming up and neither I nor my DW are socialites and we have gone to several "nice" events black tie optional and such but we are not really that comfortable in high fashion places. So who knows yet what we will do. Thanks for your time. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

There are a few oddities in the dress code / public space mappings - for example the G32 nightclub is casual dress, but the only access is via the Queens Room. The Queens Room is not only dress code compliant, its where the 'theme' is mostly observed.

You are quite correct , however, the majority of those who visit the G32 after hours are usually the overflow from the Queens Room. Those who enjoy an early evening in the Buffet and perhaps casual dress  ( rather than Elegant Casual ) are usually  in bed before midnight and are not really night owls. 😅 

OP, I'm curious (truly, just curious, not questioning) what led you to consider Cunard rather than the many other major cruise lines that go to Alaska, transatlantic, and elsewhere.  Princess, Holland America, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity all have many itinerary choices, and all would fall somewhere in between Carnival (casual) and Cunard (formal).

I can vouch for the evening formality onboard Cunard.  Even on the first and last nights, I don't think I've ever seen a man not wearing a suit or sportscoat, usually with a tie, and as noted above, that applies to the theater, most bars and lounges, etc.  There are a few casual venues, but not many.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

That is what made me take a second look at Cunard. I am still looking. We have our 30th coming up and neither I nor my DW are socialites and we have gone to several "nice" events black tie optional and such but we are not really that comfortable in high fashion places. So who knows yet what we will do. Thanks for your time. 

Although the dress is fancy, the people are just people. When everyone is dressed up, it becomes part of the scenery (unlike when you're going to a black tie event on land, and are surrounded by the rest of the world in non-formal clothing.) 

You'll come across some snobs on Cunard, but you'll come across those people everywhere, and the majority of the people I've met on Cunard have been absolutely delightful. 

And the daytime dress is casual - a polo is totally appropriate for daytime (including breakfast and lunch in the MDR). It's just after 6PM that the dress code takes effect. (But no swimsuits/gym clothes in the majority of the ship at any time, unless you're going from pool/gym back to your cabin.)  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, neeuqdrazil said:

Although the dress is fancy, the people are just people. When everyone is dressed up, it becomes part of the scenery (unlike when you're going to a black tie event on land, and are surrounded by the rest of the world in non-formal clothing.) 

You'll come across some snobs on Cunard, but you'll come across those people everywhere, and the majority of the people I've met on Cunard have been absolutely delightful. 

And the daytime dress is casual - a polo is totally appropriate for daytime (including breakfast and lunch in the MDR). It's just after 6PM that the dress code takes effect. (But no swimsuits/gym clothes in the majority of the ship at any time, unless you're going from pool/gym back to your cabin.)  

Thanks!

29 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

OP, I'm curious (truly, just curious, not questioning) what led you to consider Cunard rather than the many other major cruise lines that go to Alaska, transatlantic, and elsewhere.  Princess, Holland America, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity all have many itinerary choices, and all would fall somewhere in between Carnival (casual) and Cunard (formal).

I can vouch for the evening formality onboard Cunard.  Even on the first and last nights, I don't think I've ever seen a man not wearing a suit or sportscoat, usually with a tie, and as noted above, that applies to the theater, most bars and lounges, etc.  There are a few casual venues, but not many.

Well, I just completed training in Cunard and I got excited for the history and quality of service. We have been wanting to upscale our cruising experience and with the benefits that Commodore status and the Alaska itinerary and some great pricing for 2022 I thought it might be something we could take a look at. Everyone I tell that to the first thing out of their mouth is the dress code. So I thought I'd jump in here and find out from you guys to see how it might go. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 57eric said:

What is Commodore status?  I thought that was something given only to captains.

It's the highest level of training in Cunard. It comes with some pretty good loyalty perks if we sail as well as a chance for a free cruise. 

20 hours ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

I don't like dressing up but I will when I have to. I love being casual and myself. I love the fun on Carnival and carnival is all we have done. I am nowhere close to pretentious and those attitudes are not welcome. I want to try a "finer" cruise experience and I don't know much about Cunard.I did the travel agent training in case I ever need to know about it and want to possibly try it to have the experience. How would I fit in at Dinner if I wear a nice Polo or would we be turned to the Buffet? 

I think you would enjoy  a Cunard voyage. You say you are not comfortable wearing a jacket. There are many kinds of dress jackets. Perhaps you could find a very lightweight fabric and have it tailored and you would find that it is much more comfortable. We are not “dressy” people. We live in t-shirts and shorts at home, but on The Queen we dress up and enjoy the ambience or the ship. It is worth it for us and I would encourage you to not miss the experience due to a jacket. Of course you know how much you can stand, but it may just be you haven’t found the “right” jacket for your comfort. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

It's the highest level of training in Cunard. It comes with some pretty good loyalty perks if we sail as well as a chance for a free cruise. 

Who awards the Commodore status?  Is it a travel agent association?

It does seem unusual for “the highest level of training in Cunard” to be achievable without ever experiencing a Cunard ship.  

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Who awards the Commodore status?  Is it a travel agent association?

It does seem unusual for “the highest level of training in Cunard” to be achievable without ever experiencing a Cunard ship.  

It's the training for Cunard and it's for travel agents. Part of Commodore training level is a free cruise to experience the product, which I have qualified for. They only give away 250 a year so it's like winning the lottery. That is their training so whatever they do is what they do. 

Never been on Carnival but the impression I get is that it's about as far from Cunard as it's possible to get on the mainstream cruise lines. 
I like Cunard but not for every cruise. Wearing a jacket is compulsory every night in the dining rooms and you are not even allowed to walk through a room where a formal event is taking place (usually the ballroom) if you are not appropriately dressed.
You will enjoy it if you embrace it - don't go on Cunard and try to fight it.
Personally, this is why Princess is my sweet spot - formal when it needs to be, smart-casual otherwise.
But I do think there should be certain minimum standards in formal dining rooms - shorts and backwards baseball caps belong in the buffet or the Lido.

• Like 3

Hello OP. As someone who has sailed both Carnival and Cunard and enjoyed them both, I thought I'd put in my 2 cents. For background information, my family is about as plain-jane ordinary and laid back as they come. At home, I am a die-hard t-shirts and yoga pants sort of girl. I rarely ever dress up. My husband is a large man who overheats very easily, so at home, suits are out of the question. My children are both teenagers and are much like us. We stopped dressing up on Carnival and Disney cruises some time ago. However, on Cunard, its different. We love the dress code. The sophisticated atmosphere is part of the experience. As a woman, I've been able to find plenty of comfortable outfits for myself and my daughter that are suitable evening attire. As for my husband, he loves QM2 so much, he now owns 2 tuxedos and recently purchased a formal kilt. He's dying to show off his Scottish heritage on our upcoming cruise in November (fingers crossed). My teenage son, who is still growing, sticks with dark suits. Even the kids appreciate the formal atmosphere. Its breathtaking to watch the finely dressed dancers take to the floor in the Queen's Room. They looked forward to the balls every gala night. So, in short, even a t-shirt family can have an incredible time on a Cunard cruise. Let me warn you though, they will become addictive! I speak from experience.

Edited by arielmomma
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

On 6/23/2021 at 7:23 PM, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

I don't like dressing up but I will when I have to. I love being casual and myself. I love the fun on Carnival and carnival is all we have done. I am nowhere close to pretentious and those attitudes are not welcome. I want to try a "finer" cruise experience and I don't know much about Cunard.I did the travel agent training in case I ever need to know about it and want to possibly try it to have the experience. How would I fit in at Dinner if I wear a nice Polo or would we be turned to the Buffet? 

With out eady the rest of the general outburst of please do not sail Cunard, let me add my vote. No a nice or not nice polo shirt will not be even remotely acceptable for sinner and generally only slightly less for lunch in the main dining room. Pretention is in the eyes of the beholder and you may feel that many on board will be such if you enjoy the bucket of beer atmosphere on Carnival. 

Cunard is the last of the true lines that hold to tradition of the finer life. And finer life does not usually find gentlemen out of proper attire while on board. There are many many other cruise lines to pick from that will allow both a casual style and take your money in the name of finer. Best of luck.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

Would I be allowed to shed the jacket after dinner?

No unless you wish to remain in the lido area. Finer does really mean finer in a "traditional" sense not in the US let it all hang out sense.

• Like 2

Thank you everyone. I would  not dream of trying to skirt the dress code. It is what it is and if we choose to try Cunard I would wear appropriate clothing. I am just trying to see how much different it is. I too think the culture of Cunard should be respected and I wholeheartedly agree that some custom need to be kept. Thanks again!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

It's the training for Cunard and it's for travel agents. Part of Commodore training level is a free cruise to experience the product, which I have qualified for. They only give away 250 a year so it's like winning the lottery. That is their training so whatever they do is what they do. 

Then, you should play the game in accordance with its rules.  You would not be doing any service to people you book on a Cunard sailing without letting them know what it is all about -- and, to do that, you really should do it yourself -- without cutting any corners - like just a blazer and tie on formal night -- formal means dark suit for a man (MINIMUM), and comparable attire for a woman, and that means in virtually all parts of the ship after 6:00 PM.  Suggesting anything less would be letting down your customer - and, by extension, everyone who sails on the same itinerary with your customer.

Frankly, I am a bit surprised by your initial post, and the attitude it reflected, as coming from one who could  have paid much attention at Cunard training sessions.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Then, you should play the game in accordance with its rules.  You would not be doing any service to people you book on a Cunard sailing without letting them know what it is all about -- and, to do that, you really should do it yourself -- without cutting any corners - like just a blazer and tie on formal night -- formal means dark suit for a man (MINIMUM), and comparable attire for a woman, and that means in virtually all parts of the ship after 6:00 PM.  Suggesting anything less would be letting down your customer - and, by extension, everyone who sails on the same itinerary with your customer.

Frankly, I am a bit surprised by your initial post, and the attitude it reflected, as coming from one who could  have paid much attention at Cunard training sessions.

I didn't intend to show any attitude, I was just too succinct without introduction and I didn't mean to come across as anything but respectful and curious. Sorry for my bluntness. You have some great points.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

The training emphasized casual attire several times thus my quest for opinions here about to what extent is ok. As we all know sometimes the training / brochure information doesn't reflect the feet on the ground experience.   

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

Thank you everyone. I would  not dream of trying to skirt the dress code. It is what it is and if we choose to try Cunard I would wear appropriate clothing. I am just trying to see how much different it is. I too think the culture of Cunard should be respected and I wholeheartedly agree that some custom need to be kept. Thanks again!!

I'll probably be  flamed for this - but whatever. The dress code is far less fierce on board ship  than it is on this board! 

We are casual and my partner didn't own a suit that fitted when we booked Cunard. Now sailing out of Sydney  in 2020 he did NOT need to wear a jacket except on formal nights.  So he could have got away with one dark suit, a white shirt to  go with it, plus some nice shirts (not polos) on the other nights. This is an Australian season rule - but I suspect may apply in Alaska too - you'd need to check that. 

There is no code during the day - except no wet clothes inside - and you have to wear some type of shoes. We were in the tropics and there were lots of men and women in shorts up until 6pm, including in the Queens Room dancing prior to 6pm. The statement in this thread about a polo shirt being on barely acceptable at lunch is ludicrous.  Most men wore shorts and t-shirts during the day on our cruise. Actually so did many women. 

It was warm - so jackets were 90% taken off in the MDR, and 100% when dancing in the Queens room - even on gala evening. Those who are used to dancing - brought waistcoats - much more comfortable to dance in - but don't worry unless you are an actual ballroom dancer. 

Attached photo was a day time dance class in the Queens room. 

As a man a dark suit, white shirt bow tie or other tie, plus a different jacket and a couple of different shirts, and pair of dark leather shoes will work fine. As women my clothes take up less space. 

P1090554.JPG

• Like 2

On 6/24/2021 at 12:23 AM, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

Good morning Mama.

As probably one of the few Brits that have cruised with Cunard and Carnival,  and had a great time on both...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2018/02/09/carnival-dream-a-very-pleasant-surprise/

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/01/02/queen-mary-2-remastered-trans-atlantic/

...my best advice having read a few of your comments is to you is 'stick with Carnival' and enjoy your cruising your way.

Have a nice day.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

I didn't intend to show any attitude, I was just too succinct without introduction and I didn't mean to come across as anything but respectful and curious. Sorry for my bluntness. You have some great points.

Hi again Mama.

It's me again and I only popped back purely because I'd noted from your 'Signature' that we have something else in common - we are both booked on Virgin's Scarlet Lady: in my case a little earlier than your good self.

And therein lies the secret: I'm heading to Scarlet Lady with a totally different mindset from that which I'll be adopting on my next Cunard Voyage. 

I'm also confident my wife and I will enjoy both equally as we will be adapting to the separate characteristic nature and spirit of each cruise line.

I trust you find my views informative.

PS. I was rather impressed with your Carnival cruise record: particularly as a shareholder. 😉😉 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Okraf said:

Never been on Carnival but the impression I get is that it's about as far from Cunard as it's possible to get on the mainstream cruise lines. 

Go on, dare you. Take a look at my review...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2018/02/09/carnival-dream-a-very-pleasant-surprise/

😅😅    

1546812189_DecksHairyChest2.thumb.jpg.79ab2c4978a76ef5ddb613c5aa8f227a.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

You come across as someone I'd be delighted to share a dinner table with.

Ask a dress question on this board and you'll get various answers, some of which are aspirational. Picking through the aspirational to get to the reality is a bit difficult.

I wouldn't dream of flaming Lissie for her contribution because as a newcomer to Cunard, she has some good points to say but I think her experience  was from down under and isn't based on a QM2 crossing for example.

Polo shirts under a jacket might fit the 'shirt and jacket' casual evening code but not the spirit but for someone to suggest a polo shirt for lunch is barely acceptable attire is ludicrous. My husband, a very conservative dresser always wears polo shirts during the day but with chinos rather than shorts, which are also acceptable day wear around the ship, including the restaurants.

Polo [turtle] necked tops with jackets are seen around the ship in the evenings and if you look at the Cunard guide, a crew neck sweater is given as an example. Pushing casual too far for my tastes but still advocated by the company.

If you do decide to give Cunard a try, be mindful a crossing really is more traditionally Cunard than a cruise on her sisters.

Pack a jacket, pick a cruise and go and enjoy what Cunard has to offer. Then you can add experience to the training and see for yourself, there's casual and then there's Cunard casual.🙂

• Like 3