How would I fit in on Cunard?

AtSeaWithChris

7 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

If casual style is your thing, why are you thinking about Cunard at all?  Their traditional approach is what really sets them apart from the kind of experience you seem to prefer.  For the price of a Cunard experience, you could have a somewhat  "higher end" Alaska experience on Princess or HAL - and certainly on NCL. 

The bottom line:  do not sail Cunard if you do not want the Cunard experience -- remember, having compatible interests with the majority of your shipmates can make for a more enjoyable cruise,

Cunard has many other things to recommend it. The dress code may be one, but there are lots of other things - the peacefulness, the calming decor, the lectures, (usually) the food, the quiet kindness and efficiency of the staff.  Go for it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

I am 100% with you on keeping the attire code to a higher standard as it really makes the entire sailing special. As few as 10 years ago, ladies were wearing dresses and hats for afternoon tea in the Queens Room and there was always a goodly number of gentlemen in blazers for lunch and afternoon tea. Now there are few ladies and gentlemen on board but plenty of men and gals. Sad but we traditionalists are fighting a rear guard action in sooo many aspects of society. But we shall keep on keeping on. My luggage count to allow for a "proper" sailing runs to 6 bags plus a carry on to spruce up from boarding in blazer and tie and proper slacks etc. Never ever jeans nor T's. Those I leave at home for the gardner.

Well, I nearly always wear a dress for tea, because I nearly always wear dresses, not as an indication of refinement, but because it is quicker to dress if you don't have to find separates that match. However, between 1997 and this day, the only hat I have ever seen at tea is an occasional and irrational male baseball hat.

On 6/25/2021 at 11:51 AM, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

Thanks, I have your blogs saved and will check them out asap. I do Love Carnival. Carnival is a very fun and boisterous experience. They have great staff that are allowed to be cheeky and with innuendo and they have great service. 

I expect you will find the service on Cunard quite different!  I picture our dining room waiters as practically "invisible", even though every course showed up exactly as requested.  No "Hey, Mister Whiskers" banter that we get on some other lines.  Personally, I really like it, but at first I thought we were being ignored.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say they were invisible. I am almost invariably addressed by name, or rather title and name, they get to know my orders, particularly for breakfast, they get to know how I like things, that I drink a lot of water, so keep my glass constantly filled, and have been known to tease about this in a gentle way. Some have told me a bit about their families, and we often discuss ports they have visited but I haven't. So rather a civil relationship.

33 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

I've  never sailed an American "party" line, or UK equivalent. However I don't find Cunard service to be different to other UK Lines.

It is my understanding that the White Star service strives to go the extra mile in service. Something that when happens causes you to turn your head and realize that that was White Star service.

2 minutes ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

It is my understanding that the White Star service strives to go the extra mile in service. Something that when happens causes you to turn your head and realize that that was White Star service.

The majority of people who sail Cunard, know and expect White Star service is because they live that way in on shore lives. Not saying they have "people" but when they go places they know proper service. Cunard provides such service because their passenger know it and expect it. Other lines know  they can get away without such levels of service and in at least one line's case have done away with linen on the table in the main dining room and fine china and flat ware because they know their clientele does not ever experience such things at home. So to those who wish to skate along the bottom of the dress code beware that Cruise lines monitor chat sites and they use the remarks  such as "I don't care as long as I am cruising" to cut expenses etc. To poo poo the dress code by explaining how one can still enjoy the ship is just playing into the bean counters arguments. Better to dress to the upper limits (there really are none) rather than the bottom.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

Other lines know  they can get away without such levels of service and in at least one line's case have done away with linen on the table in the main dining room and fine china and flat ware because they know their clientele does not ever experience such things at home.

That's true. Some of it is a percentage that is not as concerned in the china and the pomp and circumstances or even know of it. Or, do know of it and don't care for it. It is becoming where only a few places maintain that level of service. And most of the places that do are private places that are not advertised. If you are not in the know you don't know. This is true across the income spectrum. Or it's priced above the average income. So fewer people today experience that level of service on a daily basis. I personally have had a few times where I experienced that level of service and it is so rare these days.

8 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

beware that Cruise lines monitor chat sites and they use the remarks  such as "I don't care as long as I am cruising" to cut expenses etc. To poo poo the dress code by explaining how one can still enjoy the ship is just playing into the bean counters arguments

Yes, I agree and if you would like a tradition upheld or a service retained, speak out. People so willingly ready to dismiss something because they don't use it. That just lets them know where the relative painless places to cut corners. But at the end of the day, times, they are a changing and not all are for the better. But if enough people speak out they will listen. So it's a double edged sword.

38 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

The majority of people who sail Cunard, know and expect White Star service is because they live that way in on shore lives. Not saying they have "people" but when they go places they know proper service.

38 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

The majority of people who sail Cunard, know and expect White Star service is because they live that way in on shore lives. Not saying they have "people" but when they go places they know proper service. Cunard provides such service because their passenger know it and expect it. Other lines know  they can get away without such levels of service and in at least one line's case have done away with linen on the table in the main dining room and fine china and flat ware because they know their clientele does not ever experience such things at home. So to those who wish to skate along the bottom of the dress code beware that Cruise lines monitor chat sites and they use the remarks  such as "I don't care as long as I am cruising" to cut expenses etc. To poo poo the dress code by explaining how one can still enjoy the ship is just playing into the bean counters arguments. Better to dress to the upper limits (there really are none) rather than the bottom.

My husband doesn't have 'people', but he certainly does in the singular at times!

Sorry, I have to reply.

I don't go enquiring of my fellow passengers' home situations as I am one of those who enjoy anyone's company, irrespective of station in life but  I would have thought all those who sail Cunard expect a decent service because that's what we pay for, irrespective of our various onshore life styles.

I have seen ladies in slippers and cardigans of an evening [on the world cruises]  which might not meet some exacting standards but their faces show how happy they are. That might be considered to be lowering the tone but I couldn't care less and I would like to think all the people I have met over the years and those I hope to meet will have the same attitude.

Most passengers scrub up well for formal nights and that suits me.

By the way, I'm a formal passenger and 'scrub up' to the highest level of the required  code every evening.

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Tonopah said:

I am definitely laughing at your mansplaining the difference between a suit with a coat and tie, and a DARK suit. I’ll be sure to write that down to make sure I’m not scraping.

Coat and tie != suit

7 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Heavens.

The dreaded dress code is bad enough in its interpretation but tell a Brit to pack a coat and tie for evening wear and  the wearer would probably expire from heat exhaustion! 😄

Your observation for many British male ‘two weeks holiday’ cruisers is spot on

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Not quite sure what you mean but I would have thought not many passengers usually pack a coat unless the weather is going to be very chilly, in which case, a coat would be useful when taking a turn around the deck.

Might upset a few on here but regarding "White Star" service having done over 50 cruises with varying cruise lines with regards to waiter service in Britannia restaurant and bar service throughout the ship I have never known it be anything special or any better than on other cruise lines.

8 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Might upset a few on here but regarding "White Star" service having done over 50 cruises with varying cruise lines with regards to waiter service in Britannia restaurant and bar service throughout the ship I have never known it be anything special or any better than on other cruise lines.

I agree , Cunard white star service is just the good service you'd expect in any decent restaurant .  It is good service no doubt , but not unique.

OK decent service is thought to be old fashioned, but it still exists on other cruise lines (but not all by the sound of it) and in many UK restaurants, and in USA if you look for it.  

Dress code is  different ,  there are very few restaurants that still have a jacket dress code. However it's not difficult to pack a jacket. As long as Cunard keeps the temperature below 21c / 70f no problem wearing one. Dressing up on gala nights is part of the fun of the cruise.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Heavens.

The dreaded dress code is bad enough in its interpretation but tell a Brit to pack a coat and tie for evening wear and  the wearer would probably expire from heat exhaustion! 😄

What ever happened to Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the noon day sun" Eh Gads Madam, Have the British lost all sense of empire?

5 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

My husband doesn't have 'people', but he certainly does in the singular at times!

Sorry, I have to reply.

I don't go enquiring of my fellow passengers' home situations as I am one of those who enjoy anyone's company, irrespective of station in life but  I would have thought all those who sail Cunard expect a decent service because that's what we pay for, irrespective of our various onshore life styles.

I have seen ladies in slippers and cardigans of an evening [on the world cruises]  which might not meet some exacting standards but their faces show how happy they are. That might be considered to be lowering the tone but I couldn't care less and I would like to think all the people I have met over the years and those I hope to meet will have the same attitude.

Most passengers scrub up well for formal nights and that suits me.

By the way, I'm a formal passenger and 'scrub up' to the highest level of the required  code every evening.

You have confused station in life with manners, and knowing what is correct and what is not correct. Many a quite church mouse poor person has the game well in hand while many with boat loads of money have nary a clue.

One only has to have a quiet chat with the Queens grill Maître 'D off the record to learn that reality.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

You have confused station in life with manners, and knowing what is correct and what is not correct. Many a quite church mouse poor person has the game well in hand while many with boat loads of money have nary a clue.

One only has to have a quiet chat with the Queens grill Maître 'D off the record to learn that reality.

No. I'm not confused at all.

I accept allcomers  and take them as I find them. I wouldn't dream of catagorising people by their dress sense as you seem to do.  I wouldn't look down on anyone for their dress sense or supposed lack of it and I most certainly wouldn't laugh at anyone behind their back. That would be bad manners in my book.

This board is here to hopefully help each other. You hanker after the old days and the advice you give is what you aspire your fellow passengers to live up to. I look forward to the future of the line and will give advice which keeps to any Cunard code but is based on reality. The gilded age of hats and gloves to accessorise tea dresses to partake of  afternoon tea is over. It most certainly won't be coming back. If the odd lapse of dress sense, which does happen,  is taken up and run with then future new passengers asking questions here may be put off by the utter unbending fustiness of a very small cohort of diehards.

We want the line to survive and I will smile when an older lady wears her slippers after dinner for comfort and ignore the fact a chap takes off his jacket in the restaurant if he's getting over heated. Life is for living and harbouring grumbly thoughts about lack of dress decorum., real or perceived would not be conducive to a relaxing time for me.

The majority of Cunard passengers abide by advice given  for the day and that's fine by me.

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

13 hours ago, exlondoner said:

What on earth is a 'two weeks holiday' cruiser, male or female, British or not?

The inference is clearly  they are some sort of sub species .

Is it due to the fact that they only cruise for two weeks  a year.

Or is it they think of the cruise as a holiday,  to be enjoyed ( irrespective of what others wear).

I expect Cunard think of them as their key customers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1