Tick Tock, Tick Tock, TICK TOCK....

SmoothFlying

You don't know what you know, until you know it.  I think that when you get to a particular age, you are reminded that you are not as young as you used to be.  It makes me mad that I can no longer do some of the activities that I once did, or I won't because I have been severely reminded of a foolish decision.  I am in my 60s and I've already had friends pass; not because it was statistically their time, but because something just happened.  That could be me.  For me, it is important to stay as healthy as possible and I work at it.  I talk to my kids multiple times per week, and see them as much as possible.  We do not live near each other.  Early this year, my M-I-L died in FL.  My husband said, "as long as we have our warm clothes packed, why don't we go to Hawaii from here".  I thought about all of the hoops we had to go through to make that happen, but this time he took charge, and it was so great to vacation again.  Since then, I have been "revenge vacationing."  I went hiking with a friend for a week in Arizona, went to my nephews college graduation in Wisconsin, and went to see my kids in NJ and in MT.  I am looking forward to my first cruise back to my own state of Alaska in September.  I can't wait, but in the meantime, I'll be doing little day trips here and there, to feel normal again.  I tell my husband, my kids and my friends that if something happened to me, I didn't make it all the way to the finish line, but I had a great life.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, winemama said:

we are 68-72 and covid put a real dent in our cruising, but we made it through.  Like everyone else, we really realize  how lucky we are.  We both don't want to cruise till 2023, and we decided to do a WC, thinking who know anything anymore

My wife always jokingly says I'm hardheaded cuss BUT if I've learned one thing since I've reached my seventy plus years, it's GO !  Don't put it off any longer than humanly necessary. Her brother suddenly passed away last year, just barely sixty and I had a childhood friend, I'd known since he was five and I was eight pass away this year at sixty seven. I'm afraid if I waited much longer (five years) my health could be compromised by a sudden depressing turn of events.

Mac  

• Like 2

Time is nobody's friend....

One could said Covid has stolen 2-3 year of holidays......

But looking round the world has caused havoc... death, ongoing health issues, lost of jobs etc

So personally it has restricted our lives,  but we are lucky being retried, no jobs to worry about..

and so far  all the family is doing ok..... so we all good.... and we have not spent as much money.

So as time move forward, all we can do is wait and watch, to see how things unfold.....

One day the world will return to somewhere where it was... but only time will tell.

Don

• Like 4

You can tell there may be a generational difference when I read the title and thought the thread was going to be about TikToks on cruising 🤣

While I am no where near retiring yet, my parents are and I do think about this. My mom and I love cruising and traveling so obviously the pandemic took a huge toll (me being a nurse and getting Covid didn’t help).

We are very grateful for what we have, but it’s okay to miss the opportunities lost. We had some great family vacations planned which have been pushed back a couple years, and I think about that as we all get older.

Still, it’s not like time is something I have control over. Just have to make the most of it. Plus, planning vacations is a lot of fun (maybe because we don’t have to spend any money).

10 minutes ago, sergel02 said:

While I am no where near retiring yet, my parents are and I do think about this. My mom and I love cruising and traveling so obviously the pandemic took a huge toll (me being a nurse and getting Covid didn’t help).

Don't blink, because before you know it, it'll be here ! I know from experience because I STILL remember my high school graduation night in June 1968 and it still seems like it was just yesterday. Cherish the moments with your family and close friends as the ole saying goes, 'You will never pass this way again'.

Mac

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SmoothFlying said:

Don't blink, because before you know it, it'll be here !

I am not as old as most posting here, but I have real world experience all of you from my direct family. My daughter is away on a church trip this week, she will gone another week next week, home a week, and then gone another week. It is just a quick glimpse of what will be from what was. She will be off to college in a few years and then it is empty nest. As long as college is covered, we will vacation more during non-peak times to save money. But what I am getting at is that this time approaches way too fast and you need to enjoy the ride before it ends.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SmoothFlying said:

Don't blink, because before you know it, it'll be here ! I know from experience because I STILL remember my high school graduation night in June 1968 and it still seems like it was just yesterday. Cherish the moments with your family and close friends as the ole saying goes, 'You will never pass this way again'.

Mac

Yes, time does fly by. I remember putting my son on the bus for kindergarten for his first day in school. And now he is 40+. Where does the time go?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Although I cruised twice,in the early 1970’s and mid 1990’s I did not realize the enjoyment of cruising until we did a family cruise for my 70th.birthday.I wish that I became a cruise regular in the 1970’s.

ABIG 'Amen!' to that my 'cruise brother' I was almost thirty seven (1987) when I took my first and only cruise till 2007. How I wish I'd followed up with so many more in those thirty four years after my first one.

Mac

It is interesting reading people's thoughts....... One agrees do not keep putting things off...

Some of the holidays one considered year ago... just couldn't do now.... then made a decision at the beginning of the year... to get healthier..... So far  have lost 23 % of my overall weight... stop taking one of blood pressure tablets ( doctor very happy ) only have a few more kilos to reach my goal..... ( one may move the goal posts )

Point is you are only as old as you feel... I feel better now... so one must be younger ???

looking in the mirror  ahhh No...  but all my clothes are loose.......

We have just had our Nov 21 cruise cancelled... so took the replacement on Nov 22.....

Cheers and enjoy life.. you only have one

Don

Edited by getting older slowly
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Point is you are only as old as you feel... I feel better now... so one must be younger ???

looking in the mirror  ahhh No...  but all my clothes are loose.......

Know what you mean. I've lost a good deal of weight over the last year and remembered thinking when I was thirty that was ALWAYS my only goal. NOW how I wish I could lose the same numbers, but have it in years, isn't possible but how I wish...

Mac

22 hours ago, SmoothFlying said:

ABIG 'Amen!' to that my 'cruise brother' I was almost thirty seven (1987) when I took my first and only cruise till 2007. How I wish I'd followed up with so many more in those thirty four years after my first one.

Mac

If you are physically able you have years ahead to cruise.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

If you are physically able you have years ahead to cruise.

Yessssssssssireee ! As long as the body's willing and the mind is, well we will NOT touch that department ! OLLL ! We've booked a ten day Alaska the latter part of next year. sooo we're hoping ole father time is looking the other way and we can slip by without being slapped back with an evil eye glare an a 'Ohhh nooo, you don't ! Though you'd give me the slip, huh??'. So we're keeping our fingers (and everything else) crossed ! Would LOVE to see Alaska again. Had this same cruise booked just before they started shutting ANY thing involving transportation OR crowds down. So disappointing. Hope things in Alaska will definitely improve even more by then !

Mac

5 minutes ago, SmoothFlying said:

Hope things in Alaska will definitely improve even more by then !

I am grateful to all of those who are traveling there this year so the wheels will be greased by the time you and I get there!

10 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I am grateful to all of those who are traveling there this year so the wheels will be greased by the time you and I get there!

You and I are certainly in agreement there ! Hope you have a safe and wonderful cruise. Wish it wasn't so long till the trip. Time seems to drag till the cruise, THEN when we're on the ship it ZOOMS ! Especially whew Alaska's concerned.

Mac

• Like 1
  • Haha 1