Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

1 hour ago, cltnccruisers said:

agreed - but did you use the medallion on board at all?

---

I have the medallion to unlock the door and to show crew when they need to see it.

At this time IMO I have no use for the medallion for any other reason.

---

Edited by RSS from SF
  • Like 1

We were on a ship with which we were not familiar.  It was helpful finding our way around. 

---

I'm glad you found the medallion to be helpful to you!

In my case, the medallion is something I put in an RFID sleeve so that crewmembers can't look me up when I pass them in the hallways.  😁

---

• Like 3

We were on a ship with which we were not familiar.  It was helpful finding our way around. 

I liked it for opening our cabin door.  Used in in 2018 and 2019 also.  

I liked it to find my friends, family and DH on the ship.  I could see where they were and join them.

It also is a great tool for ordering drinks or food, wherever you are on the ship.

Critical now if you’re near a positive case of covid.  They will notify you.

Also, If you fall overboard.  It’s waterproof!!!   Not sure how long it works!!    Lol

Anyway, we like it.

3 hours ago, jonikal said:

Since I don't plan to read all 71 pages of postings of which many of them seem to be addressing problems and frustrations with the Medallion app, here's a question:

Why do we have to download this app at all?  We don't intend to use it for the waiter to find us to serve drinks, so can we do without?  

The short answer is yes, you can do without the app.  You will need the medallion to open your cabin door and pay for drinks and other purchases; but the app and the medallion are two separate entities.  The app operates through your smartphone or other smart device, but the medallion doesn't need the app to provide its two basic functions.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RSS from SF said:

---

In my case, the medallion is something I put in an RFID sleeve so that crewmembers can't look me up when I pass them in the hallways.  😁

---

The RFID sleeve is a GREAT idea; thank you. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, f-mattox said:

The short answer is yes, you can do without the app.  You will need the medallion to open your cabin door and pay for drinks and other purchases; but the app and the medallion are two separate entities.  The app operates through your smartphone or other smart device, but the medallion doesn't need the app to provide its two basic functions.  

Put succinctly!!

The medallion and the app are definitely separate.  Many of us sailed with medallions long before the app.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

I liked it for opening our cabin door.  Used in in 2018 and 2019 also.  

I liked it to find my friends, family and DH on the ship.  I could see where they were and join them.

It also is a great tool for ordering drinks or food, wherever you are on the ship.

Critical now if you’re near a positive case of covid.  They will notify you.

Also, If you fall overboard.  It’s waterproof!!!   Not sure how long it works!!    Lol

Anyway, we like it.

You will need to scan it to get off and on the ship. That is, if we get off anywhere.

(The medallion).  Just like you used the cards in the old days. 😂 

Its 2022

Like mentioned above, Medallion is TWO things.

1.  The Medallion (small circle device) you Wear onboard, that opens your cabin door, can purchase things,  works like a tracking device onboard, etc.😌

2.  The Medallion APP,  that's on your smartphone, to Register you for sailing, enter your personal info before sailing and can order drinks when you're onboard, etc.

I really wish the Names were different for the 2 different things.😏

Its the Medallion APP that most have frustrations with, and you CAN get by without,

as long as you Register in person with hardcopies of everything when you checkin embarcation

day.  Which you need to have on you anyway!  Like Neg covid test, passport, etc.

So can you do Without the Medallion APP?  The short answer is Yes.

Happy New Year

• Like 3

18 hours ago, jonikal said:

Since I don't plan to read all 71 pages of postings of which many of them seem to be addressing problems and frustrations with the Medallion app, here's a question:

Why do we have to download this app at all?  We don't intend to use it for the waiter to find us to serve drinks, so can we do without?  

Depending on how soon you will be sailing, Princess is supposed to be reinstating the ability to do everything to pre-register via their cruise personalizer on the web site.  Although they've been promising this option for months but no soup yet...

18 hours ago, jonikal said:

As of three days ago, once onboard you do still have free access to Ocean Concierge using MedallionNet which can be a valuable work-around if you're having issues with the MedallionClass app while cruising.  

To do that, make sure your device of choice is in airplane mode, open a browser, then type login.com which should connect you to MedallionNet.  At the top of the page, you'll see the options for connecting to the internet, which you do not need to do to get to the Ocean Concierge.  That link will be at the bottom right of the same page (may need to scroll down to see it).  I also added it as a bookmark to my home screen, making it easy to check my stateroom account balance, as well as open a much more user-friendly view of daily events compared to the beautiful but exceedingly frustrating JourneyView provided through the MedallionClass app.  

Hope this helps!

• Thanks 3

17 hours ago, RSS from SF said:

---

---

Like they have nothing better to do 🙄

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, RSS from SF said:

---

---

19 hours ago, f-mattox said:

The RFID sleeve is a GREAT idea; thank you. 

If your that worried about being tracked wrap your medallion in a piece of aluminum foil. It works just as good & makes it easier to fit. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Doug R. said:

Like they have nothing better to do 🙄

---

Have you seen how some of the crew sometimes scroll through pages of our photos/names/info 5-10 minutes at a time, especially when a supervisor is not around?  Sure, it might sometimes be one of those things that are "better to do" -- but then, maybe sometimes not.

---

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

If your that worried about being tracked wrap your medallion in a piece of aluminum foil. It works just as good & makes it easier to fit. 

I think the sleeve would be a lot more convenient than unwrapping and wrapping the medallion back up every time I wanted to use it.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

---

When I carry my medallion in my pocket, I prefer it in a slightly larger than credit card sized clear plastic sleeve.  The very thin RFID sleeve fits inside the slightly larger clear plastic sleeve.

I already had RFID sleeves that I use to hold my credit cards (in the larger clear plastic sleeves), so it wasn't any bother to take one to use for the medallion. 

Aluminum Foil:
Yes, I have used foil!  The problem I have with a piece of foil wrapped around a medallion is that it's harder to discretely remove the medallion from the crumpled wad when its time to be "visible". 

When I leave my cabin my medallion is in my RFID sleeve and I am "invisible".  My medallion slips quickly out of the sleeve discretely when I need to be "visible", and just as quickly and discretely I slip the medallion back in the sleeve to enjoy anonymity again.

BTW, both my spouse and I have been putting our Princess medallions in an RFID sleeve since November 2019.  The RFID sleeve method definitely works well for us.

---

Edited by RSS from SF
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, RSS from SF said:

BTW, both my spouse and I have been putting our Princess medallions in an RFID sleeve since November 2019.  The RFID sleeve method definitely works well for us.

Of course that means folks can't use the Medallion to find each other if needed - unless they are always together or don't ever care about location of the other person.

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

Of course that means folks can't use the Medallion to find each other if needed - unless they are always together or don't ever care about location of the other person.

---

There are only my spouse and me, and we know where we'll be on the ship if we are apart -- or we set a pre-agreed time and place to meet up. 

==>  We don't care where everybody else is. 😁

But as I mentioned above, this particular RFID sleeve method has been working for us since November 2019.  (There weren't any cruises for us from March 2020 to September 2021, but we have been on 7 more Princess cruises from October to December 2021 -- all on which we always carried and used the RFID sleeve when wanting to be invisible to medallion scanning.)

---

Edited by RSS from SF

12 hours ago, RSS from SF said:

---

When I carry my medallion in my pocket, I prefer it in a slightly larger than credit card sized clear plastic sleeve.  The very thin RFID sleeve fits inside the slightly larger clear plastic sleeve.

I already had RFID sleeves that I use to hold my credit cards (in the larger clear plastic sleeves), so it wasn't any bother to take one to use for the medallion. 

Aluminum Foil:
Yes, I have used foil!  The problem I have with a piece of foil wrapped around a medallion is that it's harder to discretely remove the medallion from the crumpled wad when its time to be "visible". 

When I leave my cabin my medallion is in my RFID sleeve and I am "invisible".  My medallion slips quickly out of the sleeve discretely when I need to be "visible", and just as quickly and discretely I slip the medallion back in the sleeve to enjoy anonymity again.

---

Either using foil or a sleeve does work but what I don't understand is why you want to stay invisible to others since they know how much your spending or what your preferences are.

They know what DR you eat in & your selections.

They know at which ports you leave the ship & when you return. 

I'm not taking either side but just curious.

Why go to any trouble to hide your location?

Maybe there's something I'm missing. 

13 hours ago, RSS from SF said:

---

Have you seen how some of the crew sometimes scroll through pages of our photos/names/info 5-10 minutes at a time, especially when a supervisor is not around?  Sure, it might sometimes be one of those things that are "better to do" -- but then, maybe sometimes not.

---

No, I haven noticed that at all. But even if they did look up your medallion information, what could they possible use it for other than to see if you were in your cabin?

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

No, I haven noticed that at all. But even if they did look up your medallion information, what could they possible use it for other than to see if you were in your cabin?

This is WAY OFF topic.  IT’s supposed

yo be about the APP not the Medallion .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I just got off the Caribbean on a B2B over the holidays.

2 things to be aware of regarding the app and the TV

1. twice I ordered a salad on the TV and twice I waited over 2 hours and never received. I was told there was a glitch and canceled . This was 2 different days.

2. On the app on the preferences before I left I put in a request and they did not know about it. I had checked it twice. I guess my fault should have asked my PVP

Happy New Year

Kathy