Debarking a cruise early

rjrpar

We are on a 10 day cruise in January ‘22 on the Constellation.  We are considering debarking 2 days early in Puerto Plata to spend a few weeks at a resort in the DR. Has anyone had any experience in doing this with Celebrity. 
Thanks in advance for any info.

Call Celebrity.

So many things have changed as sailings start up again, past experience is no guarantee that the same will happen in the future.

And they are the only ones who can make the decision.

The DR has a say in this too, although it's mostly a formality. While the current entry requirements shouldn't preclude a US citizen from debarking, the process for entry as a cruise passenger for the day and the process for entering the country as a visitor are different.

I would also caution that there have been times due to weather/seas that Dominican Republic stops have changed or skipped- the port was changed on a cruise we were previously on and I have heard of inablity to tender due to rough seas on others

23 minutes ago, cruisinsusin said:

I would also caution that there have been times due to weather/seas that Dominican Republic stops have changed or skipped- the port was changed on a cruise we were previously on and I have heard of inablity to tender due to rough seas on others

Good point!

1 hour ago, cruisinsusin said:

Thanks for the response.  Is Puerto Plata a tender or docking port?

Yes, we did this in Tokyo. All we did was ask if it was OK and they had no problem with us leaving a day early. It allowed us an extra day to do things on our own vs the time it would take on a tour or having to spend time getting back to the ship. It was our last port of call.

What everyone is missing is that if you disembark downline on what is otherwise a closed loop cruise, it causes issues with that situation.  While you won't be causing a violation of the PVSA, I recall that it DOES require extra paperwork on the part of the ship, since not everyone made the closed loop cruise.

It often isn't an issue if you are not sailing out of the US, and downline disembarkation is more normal in Europe and Asia, but very UNUSUAL in the US.    

You need to request this NOW, in writing, through your travel planner if you have one.  It may not be permitted due to US regulations and paperwork hassles.   It also changes how the ship turns in paperwork in the DR.

We’re booked on the Edge for next May and I asked if we could debark a day early in Naples as we’re staying on the Amalfi Coast for a few days post cruise. I was told at this time that this has been discontinued due to Covid and there is currently no date released to start back up. 

25 minutes ago, Algebralovr said:

What everyone is missing is that if you disembark downline on what is otherwise a closed loop cruise, it causes issues with that situation.  While you won't be causing a violation of the PVSA, I recall that it DOES require extra paperwork on the part of the ship, since not everyone made the closed loop cruise.

It often isn't an issue if you are not sailing out of the US, and downline disembarkation is more normal in Europe and Asia, but very UNUSUAL in the US.    

You need to request this NOW, in writing, through your travel planner if you have one.  It may not be permitted due to US regulations and paperwork hassles.   It also changes how the ship turns in paperwork in the DR.

Correct. You can't leave whichever port you want without preauthorizing.  I've done it twice with Celebrity, once on the inaugural cruise on The Edge (disembarked in St. Marten instead of FLL) and once on the Millie on a Transpacific cruise disembarking in Japan instead of China. Both times it needed to be preauthorized with the Downlining Form filled out and the fee paid.

We had to the same when we wanted to leave the ship in Cochin India and return to the ship in Goa.  
The request was approved and when our cruise started the Documentation Officer met with us to get all the paperwork in place for both ports.  Apparently there had been problems with people who did something similar being allowed to enter the port in Goa, even though they and the Port Agent had the necessary documents.  The Documentation Officer was from Goa and told us he would be off the day we returned to Goa but that he would be at home with his family.  He gave us his personal phone number, his family’s number and told us to call if we had any problem.  When we got to Goa our driver gave the paperwork to the security person at the gate, a few minutes later someone came and personally took us to the head of the line of vehicles to enter the port.  I’m sure there was far more than $65 worth of time in preparing the paperwork.  To this day among the most memorable Celebrity employees was Daglish the Documentation Officer.  

We have done it a couple of times.    The fee to my knowledge is $65 for processing each stateroom.   They have to check to make sure it is legal by port restrictions and make sure that Customs is available to process you.    It usually takes them a day or two to process -

Instructions are below -   Not you have to call and give them a Credit Card to expedite

Please be advised that we have received your request to embark/debark at an alternate port. After reviewing said request we are happy to advise that currently there are no regulatory restrictions that will prohibit an approval.

There is a $65 USD or CAD equivalent per booking handling to finalize your approval and arrangement. Please contact us at your earliest convenience and provide us with a valid credit card payment.

We can be reached 7 days a week, 24 hours a day at:  Domestic: 1-800-256-6649 (prompt #1) or International: 305-539-4107.