Should I be worried about my kiddos?

Unlvswezel

19 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I have also heard/read that there are doubts about the study.  Every other study conducted so far indicate that the vaccines are very effective against that variant.  

Well since we are forbidden to talk science now this cannot be addressed adequately here.  

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Well since we are forbidden to talk science now this cannot be addressed adequately here.  

Exactly! One would think, if you were sharing scientific data/info, it would improve the safety onboard and the overall health of cruisers. Knowledge can be a wonderful thing.........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CAicruiser said:

I don't think is a good idea.Your kids can be asymptomatic and spread that to you and you become asymptomatic and can easily spread to passengers who are immune compromised.

You will  be the muderer of the passenger death.

This is ridiculous. . 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CAicruiser said:

I don't think is a good idea.Your kids can be asymptomatic and spread that to you and you become asymptomatic and can easily spread to passengers who are immune compromised.

You will  be the muderer of the passenger death.

If you take away the last sentence, is the rest reasonable?  Based in fact or not?

• Like 1

Parents who want to cruise with their children – up to age 18 – and provide enjoyment, entertainment and a good fitting vibe for their children, will not choose Celebrity. They will choose X because of their own selfish reasons and the fact that they do not want to cruise on ships that cater to the young folks. It’s that simple.

If you want to cruise on Celebrity ships, leave the kids at home. If you want to cruise with the kids, Royal, Carnival, Disney and NCL will be a much more enjoyable vacation for them. Again, with children, the cruise is not really about the parents. Make all the excuses and comments you want, if you cruise with your kids on Celebrity you are not thinking of them at all.

My cruise line of choice is Celebrity. However, when taking grandkids along it’s Royal and Carnival, because that’s what they want and like. My enjoyment comes from watching them enjoy and have fun, so much more of that for children on cruise lines other than X. Pre-Covid, post-covid, it makes no difference.

Of course, parents, if you can’t take the high-energy, fast-paced environment of “young ships”, perhaps a land based vacation is more appropriate.

Edited by Spif Barwunkel
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, zitsky said:

If you take away the last sentence, is the rest reasonable?  Based in fact or not?

No.

If covid is that big a risk for somebody, he or she should probably not be traveling.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Parents who want to cruise with their children – up to age 18 – and provide enjoyment, entertainment and a good fitting vibe for their children, will not choose Celebrity. They will choose X because of their own selfish reasons and the fact that they do not want to cruise on ships that cater to the young folks. It’s that simple.

If you want to cruise on Celebrity ships, leave the kids at home. If you want to cruise with the kids, Royal, Carnival, Disney and NCL will be a much more enjoyable vacation for them. Again, with children, the cruise is not really about the parents. Make all the excuses and comments you want, if you cruise with your kids on Celebrity you are not thinking of them at all.

My cruise line of choice is Celebrity. However, when taking grandkids along it’s Royal and Carnival, because that’s what they want and like. My enjoyment comes from watching them enjoy and have fun, so much more of that for children on cruise lines other than X. Pre-Covid, post-covid, it makes no difference.

Of course, parents, if you can’t take the high-energy, fast-paced environment of “young ships”, perhaps a land based vacation is more appropriate.

I think this statement is a little broad and insensitive.   Most parents will likely always put their children first.  We will cruise with Celebrity because some itineraries are more to the needs of our family.  Additionally,  most cruise lines with exception of Disney have limited offerings for children under 5.  We tried RCL 2 years ago with our toddler and found food to be poor with minimal activities.  At least with Celebrity, he will eat well.  We also do not like exposing him to the excessive drinking often found on Carnival.  Disney is often unreasonably expensive but will use them occasionally.   Most families who choose Celebrity will often be very considerate of others which you sometimes don't see on other lines.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion but unfair to generalize in this manner. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Did it get shut down?

Yes. Unfortunately, there were multiple “attitude” threads popping up last month and CC decided to shut them all down including the vaccine thread to get folks refocused on cruising. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Yes. Unfortunately, there were multiple “attitude” threads popping up last month and CC decided to shut them all down including the vaccine thread to get folks refocused on cruising. 

I see the big warning banner.  Can we ask about rules for cruises?  Masks required, what tests are needed etc?

4 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

If you want to cruise on Celebrity ships, leave the kids at home. If you want to cruise with the kids, Royal, Carnival, Disney and NCL will be a much more enjoyable vacation for them.

You paint with too broad a brush.

Most parents know their own children better than strangers do. I would not have enjoyed Royal, Carnival, Disney or NCL as a child and neither would my own DS. Not everyone wants or needs to travel in 24/7 party land or a pretend world of amusements at sea. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I was away on the Apex maiden voyage when the thread was closed, and didn't have a chance to thank you.  In the beginning of the pandemic not only I didn't know if I was going to be able to go on a cruise again, I also didn't know if I was going to be able to work as a dentist again. I used to spent hours reading everything that my friends and colleagues shared, but believe it or not, your thread was my place to go everyday, and for that I want to thank you.  The truth is, that vaccines were the light at the end of the tunnel. This picture was featured on the latest Captain's Club  newsletter, we traveled with some of our closest friends, ten of us doctors.  With our #TeamPfizer, #TeamModerna and #TeamVaccines t-shirts we wanted to paid tribute to the vaccines that made our cruise possible... 

F87A64F9-FE5F-4AFA-9D86-57F9E2EB5847 copy.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, zitsky said:

If the rules allow unvaccinated children to sail, and you are an immunocompromised individual, perhaps it is you that should not be on the ship?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

There is a lot of judgment in this post. My son has enjoyed every cruise he’s been on. From Disney to Carnival to Princess. He travels with us to Las Vegas. He’s an only child, extremely imaginative and self-reliant. He doesn’t need hundreds of other kids on board to have a good time. He enjoys hanging out on the balcony with us. He enjoys going to the pool and the dining room. Yes, he also enjoys going to the kids club. In case you aren’t aware, Celebrity has a kids club that has great educational and entertaining programming that will be right up his alley. So, I will rest easy knowing that when we cruise with him on Celebrity he will have a great time no matter what someone like you may think. 

• Like 4

I have to be honest, we are elite+ with about 20 Celebrity Cruises and I have to say kids are rare. So no complaints about unruly kids. 

My experience with our son, in the 90s through early 2000s my job had me on the Gulf Coast so we took a lot 4-5-7 day cruises from New Orleans. That was with NCL and Carnival. Lots of kids, so he had a great time. Later when he was in college we always took him on a 7 day Caribbean Christmas break cruises. Those cruises were with Princess & Celebrity. On these cruises he was too old for the kids/teen clubs so he had to extend himself to find things to do. I recall on a Princess cruise he did find a group of fellow college kids and they had good time. I have to commend the Princess recreation staff on one particular cruise, seeing this group they initiated activities for them. On the Celebrity cruise, I actually felt sorry for him with no one his age on the cruise. Did not even see that many young kids. He was forced to hang out with us which I realize was not what he hoped for on his Christmas break.

Thread is entitled "Should I Be Worried About My Kiddos?"  It is all very complicated.  Parents have difficult choices.  It seems to have become the norm very quickly in my area (PA) for kids under 12 to not wear masks at all.  Indoors or outdoors.  Crowds.  Restaurants,  Churches.  Does not matter.  No masks.   Maybe some of them were COVID+ previously and are protected with natural immunity.  But not the majority of them.  CDC still recommending masks for schools this fall.  Delta variant is out there.  I hope the EUA for vaccines for children under 12 gets approved by school time.  And parents choose to get their kids vaccinated.  Risk of COVID is greater than risk from vaccines by a landslide!

At least on cruise ships kids are tested for travel and on the ship.  Maybe they need to at least wear a mask in certain ship situations.    Better than what they face on land.  It is about the kids health- not about whether an unvaccinated kid will expose little-old-fully-vaccinated-me on my cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Thread is entitled "Should I Be Worried About My Kiddos?"  It is all very complicated.  Parents have difficult choices.  It seems to have become the norm very quickly in my area (PA) for kids under 12 to not wear masks at all.  Indoors or outdoors.  Crowds.  Restaurants,  Churches.  Does not matter.  No masks.   Maybe some of them were COVID+ previously and are protected with natural immunity.  But not the majority of them.  CDC still recommending masks for schools this fall.  Delta variant is out there.  I hope the EUA for vaccines for children under 12 gets approved by school time.  And parents choose to get their kids vaccinated.  Risk of COVID is greater than risk from vaccines by a landslide!

At least on cruise ships kids are tested for travel and on the ship.  Maybe they need to at least wear a mask in certain ship situations.    Better than what they face on land.  It is about the kids health- not about whether an unvaccinated kid will expose little-old-fully-vaccinated-me on my cruise.

My son wears masks in almost all indoor situations unless we are with a small group of people who we know to be vaccinated and who we know to take precautions when in public. Outdoors, it’s a mixed bag depending upon how many people we’re in proximity to. We kept him out of school all of last year and did virtual, even though he had the option to go back 2 days and eventually 4 days. Next year, we anticipate he’ll be back in school full-time. I don’t know if they’ll require masks, but I expect he will wear one. Unfortunately, I don’t think the vaccines will be allowed for younger kids until later in the fall. I hope I’m wrong. We’ll get it for him as soon as available, just as we did for ourselves. 

33 minutes ago, schittenden said:

My son wears masks in almost all indoor situations unless we are with a small group of people who we know to be vaccinated and who we know to take precautions when in public. Outdoors, it’s a mixed bag depending upon how many people we’re in proximity to. We kept him out of school all of last year and did virtual, even though he had the option to go back 2 days and eventually 4 days. Next year, we anticipate he’ll be back in school full-time. I don’t know if they’ll require masks, but I expect he will wear one. Unfortunately, I don’t think the vaccines will be allowed for younger kids until later in the fall. I hope I’m wrong. We’ll get it for him as soon as available, just as we did for ourselves. 

I am not commenting or judging anybody's parenting with their kids.  That is not my intent. It is difficult as I said before.   But I am making a personal observation.  And wondering what others are observing in their areas.  In my limited part of the planet and the USA,  the vast majority of kids under 12 do not wear masks indoors or outdoors.  It is very noticeable compared to a couple of months ago.  When the CDC relaxed the mask rules for vaccinated adults it seems to now be translated by practice to unvaccinated kids. 

21 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I am not commenting or judging anybody's parenting with their kids.  That is not my intent. It is difficult as I said before.   But I am making a personal observation.  And wondering what others are observing in their areas.  In my limited part of the planet and the USA,  the vast majority of kids under 12 do not wear masks indoors or outdoors.  It is very noticeable compared to a couple of months ago.  When the CDC relaxed the mask rules for vaccinated adults it seems to now be translated by practice to unvaccinated kids. 

I think it is because most people realize that (1) data shows the risk to kids of severe illness is nearly zero and (2) a cloth mask really doesn’t do much.

Just look at data from schools that were open all last year. There were not any huge outbreaks reported. Look at all of the youth sports taking place. I’m not seeing widespread reports of entire teams being quarantined, or deaths among the athletes. The numbers just do not back up the armchair scientists who talk up the risks.

Edited by ch175

5 minutes ago, ch175 said:

I think it is because most people realize that (1) data shows the risk to kids of severe illness is nearly zero and (2) a cloth mask really doesn’t do much.

Just look at data from schools that were open all last year. There were not any huge outbreaks reported. Look at all of the youth sports taking place. I’m not seeing widespread reports of entire teams being quarantined, or deaths among the athletes. The numbers just do not back up the armchair scientists who talk up the risks.

The data on the potential of youth to contract and transmit Covid is evolving.  Perhaps the following recent update might be of interest:  https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/science-briefs/transmission_k_12_schools.html 

• Thanks 1