Labadee, Haiti-What happens if unrest?

38 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

I thought most of the food came from the ship, if so, you would be eating the same stuff if you staid on the ship.

It does come from the ship and I would think that the burgers would be better since they are cooked on a BBQ.  Windjammer has more options than Gains Burgers and rubber chicken.  I don't eat any of the type of food they serve on the island with the exception of the fruit.

4 hours ago, loman said:

I stopped eating there a while ago . We go back to the ship to eat . Windjammer has less flies.

Besides dive bombing flies,  almost no one washed their hands at BBQ.  I wasn't impressed.

9 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

It does come from the ship and I would think that the burgers would be better since they are cooked on a BBQ.  Windjammer has more options than Gains Burgers and rubber chicken.  I don't eat any of the type of food they serve on the island with the exception of the fruit.

Coco Cay buffet is decent, we eat at Snack Shack. Burgers are worth the walk over. You do have to fight off the chickens though.

On 7/11/2021 at 1:39 PM, christinand said:

What do people think of these 2 itineraries?

Jewel of the seas: labadee, san juan, st. Maartens, st. John antigua

Radiance of the seas: puerto plata, st. John, antigua, crosstown , barbados, st. Lucia, charlotte, amalie, st. Thomas

The jewel of the seas trip is cheaper as it had  no single supplement. I am less concerned with unrest in labadee, than that it seems a bit of a throw away port although if i look at it as a day at the beach it sounds ok. I also want to go to the other ports on that cruise but feel 5 ports is better value.

With labadee do you have to take an excursion or can you walk to the beach? It sounds like san juan you can walk to the town although there is a food and culture tour that sounded interesting.

Both would be great cruises. I wouldn’t worry about the extra port day - they all start to run together somewhere after the third or fourth island. Speaking just for me, I’ll always take the cruise that stops at St Martin. But you can’t go wrong with either. 

25 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

Just received an email from Royal about our August 29 Symphony cruise. Due to unrest,  Labadee is cancelled and instead we will go to Nassau. 

UGH.  Sorry to hear this.  That's over a month away !  Anything could happen by then....

• Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 8:10 AM, Joseph2017China said:

OBC?  Discount?  What you will get is a refund of port charges only, which might be a few dollars....but no, you are still on a ship, and you only pay for days on the ship.  You aren't paying for a stop, so you would be entitled to no money.  I have had ports canceled from everything including "too foggy" to "hostile air force buzzing the ship, previous cruise".  

Sometimes, they give free champagne (we got it twice for missed ports).

"You aren't paying for a stop" - in a sense, you are paying for a stop (destination); that's why prices are so different (might be tripled amounts) for the same ship, same number of nights, same month, no holiday but different itineraries.  Therefore, missing a stop on a bucket list location or an expedition tour (typically, on luxury cruise lines) is a big deal.

Edited by kirtihk

• 5 months later...

When we were there some of our party went on the zipline and had to travel a short distance outside the RCL compound. There they saw military style men armed to the T. They said it was for their protection and they would shoot agressors on site. Daaaammmmm! That was Dec 29, 2019.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rokwldr said:

When we were there some of our party went on the zipline and had to travel a short distance outside the RCL compound. There they saw military style men armed to the T. They said it was for their protection and they would shoot agressors on site. Daaaammmmm! That was Dec 29, 2019.

There were armed guards at the border of the property when I first went there in September 1991. Of course, that was just two weeks before the coup d'état. If I remember correctly, we were the last to visit Labadee for a while.