Help with locating a cruise consultant

scamper

I am on hold with Holland America.  I called when Moses was in diapers.  The on-hold "music" (I use the term loosely) is an abomination, and I don't care how much HAL appreciates my patience.

Nevertheless...

A very nice young lady from HAL called me last month to offer assistance with booking.  I didn't have any cruise plans so I told her I would keep her in mind when I was ready.  She sent a follow-up email with her contact information, but when I deleted literally thousands of old emails that were gathering dust in my in-box recently, it appears I deleted hers as well.  I'd like her assistance, although I have a travel agent I use from time to time, but does anyone know if they keep records of contacts?  I know it's a shot in the dark, but I'd really like to find her.  I'm assuming they have a quota in sales, or might even earn a commission on saIes. I tried to start an email, hoping that typing "Holland America" in the addressee line would bring something up, but no dice.  If anyone has any experience or suggestions for finding this consultant, I would appreciate it.

Contact the Mariner’s Society Monday morning and they will be able to give you her name and contact information.  They should be able to track you by name and/or Mariner number.  My PCC works Monday through Friday from 7am to 3:30pm Pacific Time.

Edited by oaktreerb

1 hour ago, scamper said:

I am on hold with Holland America.  I called when Moses was in diapers.  The on-hold "music" (I use the term loosely) is an abomination,

Is there a reason why you are calling on a week-end day and not a regular work day?  Companies are often short on staff during a week-end.  

3 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Is there a reason why you are calling on a week-end day and not a regular work day?  Companies are often short on staff during a week-end.  

A shot in the dark.  But if that interminable wait time was why, I won't be making that mistake again.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

Contact the Mariner’s Society Monday morning and they will be able to give you her name and contact information.  They should be able to track you by name and/or Mariner number.  My PCC works Monday through Friday from 7am to 3:30pm Pacific Time.

Thanks a bunch.

5 minutes ago, bozemanman said:

Not meaning to steal this string...but does anyone know if you can take a booking from an online agency back to HAL? My agent is no longer with the agency and they are really dropping the ball

At one time, you could transfer a HAL booking to an agency, but I don't recall reading where someone did the reverse. Sorry I can't help.

11 minutes ago, bozemanman said:

Not meaning to steal this string...but does anyone know if you can take a booking from an online agency back to HAL? My agent is no longer with the agency and they are really dropping the ball

I think if you contact HAL to discuss your issues with your agent/agency, they sometimes allow returning the booking back to HAL.  At least give it a try.  

19 minutes ago, scamper said:

At one time, you could transfer a HAL booking to an agency, but I don't recall reading where someone did the reverse. Sorry I can't help.

I believe the agency has to drop the booking, but if there are problems you can discuss them with HAL (or whatever cruise line) and possibly get help.

I'm sure with what has happened with the pandemic, there must be some agencies that have gone out of business and the cruise lines would have to take the bookings back. I know I spoke to our TA recently and he said he has had no money come in and if way back at the start of this he knew what the future would bring, he is not sure he would have maintained his business. (He is President of his agency, but they are now down to him and one employee.)

45 minutes ago, bozemanman said:

It can be difficult (with any cruise line including HAL).  The problem is that agencies have contractual relationships with the cruise lines and, in a sense, the agency owns the booking (and gets the commission).  If the agency is in business and voluntarily gives up the booking (they would need to tell this to HAL) then you would be home free.  But if the agency is still in existence and does not want to give up your booking (giving it up means they lose their commission) then you get into a tricky situation.  If you have good cause to move the booking directly to HAL then you need to make your case to HAL.  But I doubt if the loss of an agent (within an agency) would be considered good cause.  When an agency loses an agent most will normally have somebody else pick up the ball or just have you deal with a "customer service desk."

Hank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bozemanman said:

You can.  Technically the agency has to agree to give up your reservation and transfer it back but…

57 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I think if you contact HAL to discuss your issues with your agent/agency, they sometimes allow returning the booking back to HAL.  At least give it a try.  

Agree, first TRY to get the agency to agree.  If they realize they have dropped the ball, they might pick it up and assign you to someone who is decent and then problem solved.

If they don’t and they won’t then definitely call HAL, explain the situation and they may take it back for you.  I did it once but it was a long time ago before my current TA who’ve I had for a while.

but, if you call the travel agency, get the boss or a supervisor and explain your frustration you might well get re-assigned and problem solved.  🤞 

• Like 1

Always consider your option to cancel and re-book.  We often forget we have that option. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

It can be difficult (with any cruise line including HAL).  The problem is that agencies have contractual relationships with the cruise lines and, in a sense, the agency owns the booking (and gets the commission).  If the agency is in business and voluntarily gives up the booking (they would need to tell this to HAL) then you would be home free.  But if the agency is still in existence and does not want to give up your booking (giving it up means they lose their commission) then you get into a tricky situation.  If you have good cause to move the booking directly to HAL then you need to make your case to HAL.  But I doubt if the loss of an agent (within an agency) would be considered good cause.  When an agency loses an agent most will normally have somebody else pick up the ball or just have you deal with a "customer service desk."

Hank

Agree, you need to make a good case of not getting the assistance you need and ready to cancel the booking if necessary. I hit an issue once and was livid.  Talked to HAL when I wasn’t livid 😉 and they agreed to take the booking back.  

Question?  Are you within the final payment/penalty phase?  If you are not, you can cancel and rebook if need be.  The Perks may not be the same though but it’s an option.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your help. I understand agencies have been severely hurt by Covid...and I will try again to get my problems solved there first. Doubtfull I will cancel and rebook as pricing has increased about 1/3rd the booked price...and the perks...I have time on my side as the cruise isn't until May '22

• Like 2