NCL is Suing the State of Florida over the State's Covid Policy

donaldsc

34 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

There were def not 5%, not even sure it was 1%.  Exemptions are for everyone not just kids.  That is why I changed the post.

Right, but there were more than 0%. The whole issue here is that FL's law does not allow cruise lines or anyone else to deny service to unvaccinated customers. By requiring 100% vaccination, they will explicitly be denying service.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Show me the data on what the NCL customer wants (unless there is just one), a ridiculous comment to presume that.  Let’s see what is smarter 60% occupancy and all the revenue that goes with it or macho Frank throwing down the gauntlet and getting zero revenue and hefty legal bills that the decision will be appealed no matter which way it goes (and I would be shocked to see the state lose, but it is immaterial) and your sailing delayed.

I appreciate your "concern," but my NCL sailing is moving along just fine and will be 100% vaccinated.  60% revenue likely reflects 0% profit.  I think your buddy Frank is the smartest guy in the room.

Have you read the threads here?  It is clear that the NCL zealots want 100% vaccinated.  That said, my comment was clearly hyperbole.  Most folks pick up on that.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, KennyFla said:

One paragraph caught my attention:

"The upshot places NCLH in an impossible dilemma as it prepares to set sail from Florida: NCLH will find itself either on the wrong side of health and safety and the operative federal legal framework, or else on the wrong side of Florida law."

Florida can easily argue that other cruise lines are adhering to both the CSO and Florida Law.

But the other cruise lines are adhering by allowing unvaccinated passengers onboard. Obviously NCL prefers 100% vaccinated. I think that’s smart, especially given the recent rise in cases due to the more contagious and virulent Delta variant. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

But the other cruise lines are adhering by allowing unvaccinated passengers onboard. Obviously NCL prefers 100% vaccinated. I think that’s smart, especially given the recent rise in cases due to the more contagious and virulent Delta variant. 

Do we know if any of the cruise lines have been fined or not? There is currently no way to know when and if Florida will enforce the law.

6 minutes ago, saltsandknit said:

Do we know if any of the cruise lines have been fined or not? There is currently no way to know when and if Florida will enforce the law.

So far, I do not believe any of the lines have had to turn any unvaccinated away, so there would be no cause for the fine.

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Did Carnival bring suit?  No

Did Carnival work with the governor?  Yes

Does Carnival have to allow any unvaxers?  No

Sure sounds like they did to me.  

Unlike NCL, they are not requiring 100% vaxxed guests. You are comparing apples and oranges. I’m very happy NCL has sued the state. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Unlike NCL, they are not requiring 100% vaxxed guests. You are comparing apples and oranges. I’m very happy NCL has sued the state. 

You need to give this some thought before you post. 100% will never happen at all. You can be as happy as you want. Totally impossible.

As for apples and oranges, The are both cruise lines with cruise ships. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

You need to give this some thought before you post. 100% will never happen at all. You can be as happy as you want. Totally impossible.

As for apples and oranges, The are both cruise lines with cruise ships. 

Why can't it happen? It's happening out of Seattle to Alaska in under a month on several lines.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

If they do not allow unvaccinated children that cannot get vaccinated. Hello discriminations lawsuits against NCL.

For example, from Princess' website for Alaska cruises:

Yes. These cruises are available for guests who have received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise and have proof of vaccination, in accordance with CDC guidelines.

Proof of COVID-19 vaccination and the dates given will be required and will need to be shown at the terminal prior to boarding. Failure to provide this evidence will result in denial of boarding.

There is no age restriction on this series of cruises but guests of all ages must be fully vaccinated. 

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

If they do not allow unvaccinated children that cannot get vaccinated. Hello discriminations lawsuits against NCL.

From Holland America's website:

Our 2021 cruises are available for guests who have received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise and have proof of vaccination.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well.html#FAQ

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

What law do you think would make that discrimination?  Viking Ocean has never allowed children.  Virgin Voyages is 18+ only also.  

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

🤣  Do you really think that NCL is going to back down from their 100% vaccination requirement because somebody cries "age discrimination?"  I know that there are folks ready to sue for anything, but would be interested in seeing how they claim damages.  "Mean old NCL wouldn't let my kid get on the ship to catch/spread COVID; I want a bazillion dollars!!  Wah, Wah, Wah...."  They are scarred for life because they couldn't attend Guppy Academy (or whatever that is called...)

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

🤣  Do you really think that NCL is going to back down from their 100% vaccination requirement because somebody cries "age discrimination?"  I know that there are folks ready to sue for anything, but would be interested in seeing how they claim damages.  "Mean old NCL wouldn't let my kid get on the ship to catch/spread COVID; I want a bazillion dollars!!  Wah, Wah, Wah...."  They are scared for life because they couldn't attend Guppy Academy (or whatever that is called...)

Multiple cruise lines already bar children from sailing, even pre-COVID. This is clearly a non-issue.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

On what basis would that be discrimination? Does that mean when the club or the sundeck on the ship says "18+" or when Royal's solarium says 16+, they are going to get sued?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Cruise lines, IMO, have the right to set the rules and protocols to cruise with their cruise line.  Unvaccinated persons are not permitted due to their protocols.  It's not discriminatory, it's their protocols in order to protect their staff/crew and fellow passengers. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

On what basis would that be discrimination? Does that mean when the club or the sundeck on the ship says "18+" or when Royal's solarium says 16+, they are going to get sued?

When I was 16, every bar in town 'discriminated' against be because of my age!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Right, but there were more than 0%. The whole issue here is that FL's law does not allow cruise lines or anyone else to deny service to unvaccinated customers. By requiring 100% vaccination, they will explicitly be denying service.

Unless I misread it, the Florida is only about the ability to mandate asking for Vaccination proof.  I have never seen anything about pecentages.

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

So far, I do not believe any of the lines have had to turn any unvaccinated away, so there would be no cause for the fine.

Unvaxers have to apply to cruise with Carnival thru and exemption.  Many have been denied.

3 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I appreciate your "concern," but my NCL sailing is moving along just fine and will be 100% vaccinated.  60% revenue likely reflects 0% profit.  I think your buddy Frank is the smartest guy in the room.

Have you read the threads here?  It is clear that the NCL zealots want 100% vaccinated.  That said, my comment was clearly hyperbole.  Most folks pick up on that.

There is no doubt Frank is a smart guy.  He has been more outspoken then his peers for sure.  He is also the only one not currently sailing.  All that said, I have no dog in this fight, was just curious as to motives.

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Of course not.  Some folks are just grasping at straws at this point.  Refusing to be vaccinated but hating the fact that the rest of us will soon be having great fun.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Of course not.  Some folks are just grasping at straws at this point.  Refusing to be vaccinated but hating the fact that the rest of us will soon be having great fun.

All should be allowed to board.  Those who can't produce vaccine proof should walk the gangplank.

(I'm of course referring to the timeframe before the ship leaves the dock....  🤣)

9 hours ago, Joebucks said:

The judge ruled on the CSO that the fact is there was no science to require vaccinations on cruises alone.

My understanding was that the judge ruled on whether or not the CSO could stand, deciding instead that the cruise lines could self regulate, the requirement for vaccines was not ruled on

In essence Florida sued for the cruise lines to self regulate but are similarly denying them the opportunity, I can see why FDR is suing, for clarification 

Does anyone have any idea of timeframe?

Edited by SpainAlien