P&O Covid Testing

himan

We are wanting to book IONA for the Canaries cruise from Southampton leaving 9 October this year but I am unable to get through to P&O to check on their Covid testing protocols. It says on the site that if you are over 18 and have had both vaccinations you need to take a test at the cruise terminal. My interpretation of that,. is it will be on the day of sailing and therefore most likely to be a lateral flow test but it doesn't actually say that anywhere. I have today just cancelled our cruise that was booked for same date on Anthem of The Seas as Royal Caribbean stipulate a PCR test to be carried out within 72 hours prior to sailing and so we were unable to meet this requirement due to where we live (off mainland UK) and will be spending the previous day or two travelling down, only arriving in the evening prior to sailing, they also would not accept a PCR test done at home. I would be grateful if anyone has any info on type of test and timescale  of getting the test done before boarding as I am reluctant to pay full amount if it turns out a PCR test is needed.

Thanks in advance for any replies received.

1 hour ago, Stokie33 said:

It's also done as part of the check in process so all done when you arrive on the day of departure 

Brilliant, thanks so much for the good news. At least I can go ahead and book now as knowing testing is done on cruise day eases the strain of trying to get everything in place and not having to rely on postal samples etc which can be affected by fog where we live. 👍

7 hours ago, davecttr said:

Do you do the test yourself under guidance or does someone else get to tickle your tonsils and brain?

The staff do it and it’s nasel only. 

Edited by Stu UK
  • Like 2

Guest Snaxmuppet
1 hour ago, Stu UK said:

Just one

Just back from 4N on Britannia... my test was both nostrils done by the staff.

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

OK, thanks, one nostril or both? one of mine is almost blocked by bone

I'm sure if you mention that to P and O staff they will be fine with one nostril as that is what the self testing kits advise

Further to the previous comments, I am taking my family including children of school age to Caribbean in October. I have been advised by P&O that the children will need to undergo a PCR test within 72 hrs of embarkation which along with LFT for vaccinated adults is complimentary.No further information is supplied. I am feeling a little uneasy about this because I dont know where to go for the PCR test and wether it needs to be booked in advance. How far from my home is the testing Laboratory? How am I -or P&O informed of the results and what to do if I have not received results on day of travel? If anyone can put my mind at ease I would be very grateful.

After you drive up and do the lateral flow test, am I right in thinking you then drive on to CPS and check-in?
Do you have to wait in your car until the test result comes through to your phone? 

On 7/16/2021 at 12:45 PM, kevboy said:

Further to the previous comments, I am taking my family including children of school age to Caribbean in October. I have been advised by P&O that the children will need to undergo a PCR test within 72 hrs of embarkation which along with LFT for vaccinated adults is complimentary.No further information is supplied. I am feeling a little uneasy about this because I dont know where to go for the PCR test and wether it needs to be booked in advance. How far from my home is the testing Laboratory? How am I -or P&O informed of the results and what to do if I have not received results on day of travel? If anyone can put my mind at ease I would be very grateful.

I would give them a call if I were you. I know its a long wait time at the moment, but at least you'll (eventually) get to speak to a human and should get a relatively sensible answer.

When you've had COVID lateral flow tests can show positive for upto 90 days after. 

I spoke to Princess (who are using the same procedure and terminal staff - being Carnival) as I recently (mid June) had COVID. 

They reassured me that if your LFT comes back positive due to a recent COVID recovery they can do a rapid PCR test to clear things up.

11 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I am doing lateral flow tests for work and my blurb stipulates throat and then both nostrils.

Indeed it does , however my neighbour has been taking 2 tests per week for months and does not use the throat as they immediately gag and may vomit. They do 10 'circles' in each nostril. when I start at the end of the month I have the added problem of one nostril constricted by bone. Should be fun!. Apparently P&O only test one nostril?

edit - I seem to be repeating myself, a senior manifestation apparently 🙂

Edited by davecttr

On 7/20/2021 at 12:42 PM, TheGinBoy said:

When you've had COVID lateral flow tests can show positive for upto 90 days after. 

I spoke to Princess (who are using the same procedure and terminal staff - being Carnival) as I recently (mid June) had COVID. 

They reassured me that if your LFT comes back positive due to a recent COVID recovery they can do a rapid PCR test to clear things up.

Its the PCR test that can pick up previous infection. The lateral flow only shows up as positive if you're currently infectious. 

1 minute ago, ScratchTheRat said:

The instructions in my lateral flow pack from the NHS says both tonsils 4 rotations then ONE nostril 10 rotations.

Correct, my bad, however for children you can do 10 rotations in each nostril so I just doubled up on that one. Also it has been reported here than some passengers have had just one nostril tested.

12 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Its the PCR test that can pick up previous infection. The lateral flow only shows up as positive if you're currently infectious. 

Thanks for that info, I just checked online and found a reference from Richmond Council that says LFT's can not show if you have had Covid. However the Gov sites only seem to say "lateral flow testing is less likely to return a positive result outside the infectious window" Which means that it can give a positive result, maybe because 'bits' of virus are still floating about inside you!  This is why they will then do a rapid PCR test which will tell whether you have a new infection or just the dwindling remnants of an old one are not shedding virus.

simple eh! 😵