July 25, 2021 Live From Majestic Princess Alaska sailing

12 hours ago, cruzrbachoua said:

Thanks we may do this.  We typically like to eat at the earliest time 5 ish..

We always bring envelopes with us as I am a super planner and I usually have envelopes pre labeled with Steward, waiter, asst waiter and then add their names once I meet them and then toss in a couple extras for other staff.  One time we tipped a photographer.  It seemed we saw her everywhere all the time and she would recognize us and wave us over to her on the port pics and when she did the casual and formal photos on the ship she always tried some new ideas out on us and they came out great, she was very lovely.  We also filled out the card for her to say how wonderful she was as I know those cards are GOLDEN to them when it is report to corporate they did a great job.  

There are no more “atta boy” cards on board the ship. The only way to recognize crew is to do so in the email survey sent after you get off. I took photos of the crew and their badges so I could accurately remember & report how great they were. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

There are no more “atta boy” cards on board the ship. The only way to recognize crew is to do so in the email survey sent after you get off. I took photos of the crew and their badges so I could accurately remember & report how great they were. 

Thanks for the info our last cruise was November 2019 and they had some but I will now be prepared and do like you did.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I don't like that at all. I filled those in while on the ship. I doubt most folks will be as diligent as you in getting the info or remembering to put it in the survey. Heck, the survey only offers maybe 2 spots for crew accolades. The last time I wanted to commend multiple crew members I ended up having to send a separate email as there just wasn't space in the survey.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I don't like that at all. I filled those in while on the ship. I doubt most folks will be as diligent as you in getting the info or remembering to put it in the survey. Heck, the survey only offers maybe 2 spots for crew accolades. The last time I wanted to commend multiple crew members I ended up having to send a separate email as there just wasn't space in the survey.

I am with you on that feeling. But it is what it is. The world changes and we adapt.  I’m doing my post cruise survey now and there are 5 departments you can commend. So within those departments you you can commend multiple people. I was planning on poking the 8/1 folks on Friday to let them know about this. I am finding the pics I took incredibly helpful.. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Thrak said:

I don't like that at all. I filled those in while on the ship.

And the cards are sent on to the people mentioned. Often crew will put them on display in their cabins.

If the card is sent in early enough, the recipient may have it before the end of the cruise and may thank you for submitting it.

12 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I am with you on that feeling. But it is what it is. The world changes and we adapt.  I’m doing my post cruise survey now and there are 5 departments you can commend. So within those departments you you can commend multiple people. I was planning on poking the 8/1 folks on Friday to let them know about this. I am finding the pics I took incredibly helpful.. 

Happy to hear they have improved the survey. Many thanks for the info. So often there are crew members who really do make a big difference in the cruise experience and they should be commended. I've been told by some of them that a "made a difference" card was vastly more valuable to them than any tip they could possibly receive.

• Like 2

On 8/4/2021 at 7:52 AM, kml246 said:

Glad you had smooth sailing (pun intended). Thank you for your information during the cruise.

One correction about Seattle Express: they DO pick up at SeaTac hotels. We're staying at the Crowne Plaza Airport this Saturday night and have a reservation on Seattle Express for Sunday morning at 10:15am. We made reservations on their website here

Glad you caught my mistake ... I meant to say they ONLY pick up from SeaTac hotels.  I said 'or' when I meant only.  I'm sure you've saved some people some grief ... thank you!!  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Glad you caught my mistake ... I meant to say they ONLY pick up from SeaTac hotels.  I said 'or' when I meant only.  I'm sure you've saved some people some grief ... thank you!!  

My pleasure. We're all here to help!

• Thanks 1

On 7/29/2021 at 9:36 AM, Thrak said:

YES!!! This makes me happy. The ads were totally annoying and such a waste of paper, ink, time, effort, etc.

And they don't print out all the photos anymore either.  It's all done by facial recognition.  This is probably even a bigger savings than all those flyers.  

I also loved the fact that the room steward only has to come in once a day.  I didn't think about this in the survey but I would have kind of liked a choice of morning or evening service.  I think Carnival started that.  It doesn't really matter all that much to me but we would have actually preferred our room to be tidied up after we got ready for dinner.  I'm thinking maybe we could have arranged that if we really wanted it that way. Once a day is plenty for us, though.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/29/2021 at 7:32 AM, nona0541 said:

I would think, that due to Covid, they would eliminate this due to the waving of the napkins.  Personally I do not like everyone waving napkins that have wiped mouths and possible blown noses.  

In case anyone hasn't already posted this, they did do the baked Alaska parade and it was just so nostalgic.  We were happy to see it.  There was only one table at the very back of the dining where the passengers were waving their napkins in the air.  Glad we were seated up towards the front.  Everybody else seemed to understand that was not a great idea!  

On 7/29/2021 at 5:25 AM, kml246 said:

Thanks for the update. Glad you're having a wonderful cruise. 

Regarding the show last night, were they at 7PM and 9:15PM? Do you know about tonight's show (times and act)? Trying to adjust dinner reservations accordingly. JourneyView is still not active for the 8/8 cruise.

Thanks,

Kevin & Nan

Sorry for the very late reply.  The WiFi would sometimes do funky things when logged into Cruise Critic while onboard.  I would have a reply nearly ready to send and it just would jump to another screen and the reply would be deleted.  It was not always so fussy but I did give up after a while.  

Anyway, I hope this still helps but for a relaxed paced dinner, I found the 6:20 PM time was perfect for catching whatever was going on in Princess Live at 8:15 PM for whatever event was happening in there (they were usually really fun) and then head to the late show in the theater at 9:15 PM.  Because we were at 60% capacity, there were never a problem getting a seat for these shows.  When there is a higher capacity, I am thinking we might try to reserve the 6:00 PM dining time.  

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, caribill said:

And the cards are sent on to the people mentioned. Often crew will put them on display in their cabins.

If the card is sent in early enough, the recipient may have it before the end of the cruise and may thank you for submitting it.

There were cards. We used them to submit a couple kudos onboard. Turned them in to the front desk directly. You have to ask for them, and they don’t have the little boxes near the desk to put them in when filled out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/3/2021 at 9:10 PM, rawtravel said: 

I found it interesting that in a post someone asked Ms Swartz about the Veteran benefits being retained and the response was something to the effect that Princess (or she) would work hard to retain the benefits.  Why would that even come up as a question if Princess had not just reduced benefits for platinum/elite members?  

Jan talked about how she was around when they originally launched the veteran benefit program. And she kind of laughed and said there were no plans to take any of that away. She wasn’t saying that she was fighting to keep our benefits, but that there was absolutely no one talking about taking those away.  

On 8/3/2021 at 3:16 PM, Nece and PawPaw said:

First time cruisers on Princess sailing Sept 5th.  We have the premium drink package.  Is there a need to pre-order bottled water?  Also, I noticed a footnote that there was a limit of alcoholic beverages, but don't see where it tells what that number is.  (asking for a friend. LOL!).  Thanks for all the info you guys have been providing.  I am one of those nervous travelers, who get anxious when I don't know what I am doing, and you have been great giving insight on many things.  THANK YOU!

I had the package and still ordered the water so they were in the room straight away. It’s only $7 and it’s convenient. The cabin fridges however will never chill the water as they just aren’t cold enough. You can still grab a bottle of water from any bar you walk by, including giant size 32 ouncers, and those are ice cold.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ChangeOrder said:

There were cards. We used them to submit a couple kudos onboard. Turned them in to the front desk directly. You have to ask for them, and they don’t have the little boxes near the desk to put them in when filled out. 

Wow that sucks. I did ask at the front desk!  Milos said they did not exist anymore. 

1 hour ago, ChangeOrder said:

I had the package and still ordered the water so they were in the room straight away. It’s only $7 and it’s convenient. The cabin fridges however will never chill the water as they just aren’t cold enough. You can still grab a bottle of water from any bar you walk by, including giant size 32 ouncers, and those are ice cold.

Did you check the knob inside the fridge that is the temp setting? I often has found it set at the high end and after moving it to the cold end had much better cooling of beverages.

• Like 3

I’m reading that approximately 60 days before the cruise you could reserve things like boarding times, shows, etc. Could other people share their experience?

I'm on the first cruise on the Ruby, October 31 from dry dock, so it will be interesting to see how things are going & if they are still trying to figure some things out. 

Thanks to everyone for your responses!

Tom😀

On 7/27/2021 at 7:12 PM, left the dog at home said:

So happy to see you here again, and read your input!!  From what I've read, your wonderful M&G was due in a big part to you!  Maybe some time you could post a forum on how to plan a great M&G!  I would definitely follow! 

Thank you again!!!  Happy cruising!

If your considering hosting & M&G, I have helped many people & have copies of my letters to officers inviting them to our meeting & flyers that I use that I’m willing to share. Yes it’s special if you get the main officers there including the captain. I’m enclosing a photo of my last M&G,  I’m wearing a shirt from the 50th Anniversary Cruise of Princess on the Pacific Princess that was signed by all of the Love Boat cast. Something I’ll always treasure. . I can be reached at trbarton743 at aol dot com. 

image.jpeg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, trbarton said:

I’m reading that approximately 60 days before the cruise you could reserve things like boarding times, shows, etc. Could other people share their experience?

I'm on the first cruise on the Ruby, October 31 from dry dock, so it will be interesting to see how things are going & if they are still trying to figure some things out. 

Thanks to everyone for your responses!

Tom😀

Right now, it looks like about 10 days before embarkation, the MedallionClass app starts showing some activities.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, trbarton said:

If your considering hosting & M&G, I have helped many people & have copies of my letters to officers inviting them to our meeting & flyers that I use that I’m willing to share. Yes it’s special if you get the main officers there including the captain. I’m enclosing a photo of my last M&G,  I’m wearing a shirt from the 50th Anniversary Cruise of Princess on the Pacific Princess that was signed by all of the Love Boat cast. Something I’ll always treasure. . I can be reached at trbarton743 at aol dot com. 

image.jpeg

Thank you!! What a special memory!! 

On 8/5/2021 at 4:10 AM, caribill said:

Yes, so true.  I did a complement card about Matt O. 

The CD talked to him and gave him the card.

He thanked me at the next event where I saw him. He said it means so much to each crew member when complemented personally by their superiors.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, trbarton said:

image.jpeg

Great picture and thank you for being willing to share your letter format 🙂 

20 hours ago, trbarton said:

Hi Tom I am interested in your help however your email address trbarton743@aol.com will not connect. Would you please message me or provide another way to contact you as I am planning similar event for two opening cruises coming up. Thank you.

1 hour ago, gmcwalker said:

Hi Tom I am interested in your help however your email address trbarton743@aol.com will not connect. Would you please message me or provide another way to contact you as I am planning similar event for two opening cruises coming up. Thank you.

Sorry as I usually don’t have any problems with that address. Try this address trbarton at icloud dot com. FYI…I never spell our my address so I can’t be hacked. 

Let me know if you have any problems. 

Tom😀