BEWARE of flying Southwest Airlines to the cruise ports (potential multi day delay)

NMTraveller

On 7/27/2021 at 7:28 PM, CruiserBruce said:

Is the horse dead yet?

No, I found some new news suggesting SWA schedules are aspirational in nature:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/dealing-with-airline-flight-schedule-changes/

Before Amadeus, Southwest had the ability to make schedule changes — but they were done manually to reaccomodate passengers, said Snyder. “So it didn’t happen much. But now that function is automated, allowing them to do more,” he said.

Southwest now has a pattern when it comes to schedule changes. “First, it creates an aspirational schedule. Then a month or two out, it makes cuts or changes with a better sense of reality,” said Snyder. “Then they start adding back to the schedule.”

3 hours ago, SelectSys said:

No, I found some new news suggesting SWA schedules are aspirational in nature:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/dealing-with-airline-flight-schedule-changes/

Before Amadeus, Southwest had the ability to make schedule changes — but they were done manually to reaccomodate passengers, said Snyder. “So it didn’t happen much. But now that function is automated, allowing them to do more,” he said.

Southwest now has a pattern when it comes to schedule changes. “First, it creates an aspirational schedule. Then a month or two out, it makes cuts or changes with a better sense of reality,” said Snyder. “Then they start adding back to the schedule.”

Yep.  I would agree 100% with this article.  I have received rebookings for every last flight through the end of October, some 3 or 4 times.

I have taken a new tact in booking flights with Southwest.  I book the cheapest flight and then when they change the flight I choose the flight that I really want at the original low fare.

I rebooked my cruise flights with Delta.

Edited by NMTraveller

Southwest still compensates for delays over 2 hours and cancelled flights, BUT you have to ask for the compensation now.  I did just that 3 days ago and received a $100 LUV voucher.  This is for a flight I paid for with points!!

Our Nov cruise is planned with AA (down) and SWA (back). I have tried extending the voucher dates from the past flights canceled cruises by neither will budge. I fully expect changes, delays, and cancelations on both. We will verify AA flight status before going to the airport. If they show delayed, we are just starting our trek down in the car and crash in Jacksonville and finish the drive the next morning. If you wait for the delay, precious hours for driving are lost. 

This week we had to reschedule a Southwest flight that had been changed because the new flight had a couple of hours added to the intinerary and a new stop. We chose Delta for the replacement flight.  So we flew both Delta and Southwest for this trip.

The Delta flight went smooth, absolutely zero flight delays.  It was on time.  On the Delta flight you could also get a glass of wine.  

The Southwest flight had delays on both segments.  Southwest had issues getting luggage loaded and obvious problems at BWI where planes were stacked up on the tarmac waiting to come in for a gate.  They have some serious staffing issues.  I was grateful on my Southwest flight that I was not delayed for multiple hours or multiple days,  but I cannot count on them for a time sensitive flight such as a cruise.  It was also disappointing in that they still have a very limited drink choice/services with no alcohol.

Edited by NMTraveller

I found this neat site that shows cancellations and delays for any given day.  For yesterday when I flew here are the numbers:

https://flightaware.com/live/cancelled/yesterday

It has American and Southwest at the bottom for US carriers.  This link is yesterday so will change to Monday tomorrow.  They really should normalize by ordering by percentage of cancelled flights but it still gives you an idea if an airline is currently having significant issues.

Edited by NMTraveller

12 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

It is only going to get worse for SWA now. Their pilot union and airline worker unions are threatening strikes. 

They can't strike, it is against the law. Their plan is to do "informational" picketing at the airports. Two completely different things.

• 1 year later...