Alaskan Size Welcome Back!

Elaine5715

I'm going in 3 weeks, and can't wait.  I know that the Alaskan peoples were impacted hard by the fact that the tourists and ships haven't  been coming.  I will be doing my best to support those locals when I visit the towns.  Planning on my meals OFF the ship and doing excursions that help bolster the local economy.  Did I say I CAN'T WAIT!!!   so excited to be going back to Alaska

• Like 4

4 hours ago, tutuwahineLV said:

I'm going in 3 weeks, and can't wait.  I know that the Alaskan peoples were impacted hard by the fact that the tourists and ships haven't  been coming.  I will be doing my best to support those locals when I visit the towns.  Planning on my meals OFF the ship and doing excursions that help bolster the local economy.  Did I say I CAN'T WAIT!!!   so excited to be going back to Alaska

I am going next month too.......😃

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tutuwahineLV said:

Thank you for this reminder! I was thinking we'd return to the ship for lunch or dinner given our plans and time in port, but instead will dine in town! 

• Like 1

I hope people remember to tip heavily when doing excursions.  My favorite ziplining company lost a year. Unemployment only covers so much, not to mention the mental effect of being unemployed 

Shopping in Alaska in 3 weeks!! 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

Thank you for this reminder! I was thinking we'd return to the ship for lunch or dinner given our plans and time in port, but instead will dine in town! 

In Juneau, I recommend Alaska Fish & Chips which overlooks the first cruise ship dock.  Has indoor and outdoor seating; best Halibut and Chips I have ever eaten!  

• Like 1

I am a vegetarian so any suggestions on where to eat in Juneau, Skagway,  or Ketchikan?

Son wants me to bring him salmon jerky, daughter wants a suncatcher, kids want chocolate rocks, I don't want to spend all day shopping 

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

I am a vegetarian so any suggestions on where to eat in Juneau, Skagway,  or Ketchikan?

Son wants me to bring him salmon jerky, daughter wants a suncatcher, kids want chocolate rocks, I don't want to spend all day shopping 

I'm not vegetarian, but having been to Alaska a few times (11 and counting), here are my recommendations for vegetarian friendly restaurants (not sure which may still exist/be open however):

In Skagway, Starfire Grill. It's mostly Thai, and very very good Thai. In fact, you're likely to see a number of crew eating there 🙂  Link: https://www.facebook.com/starfirealaska/

In Juneau, I love love love Salt. They do cocktails and dinner, which may not fit with your time in port. Mostly seafood, but a few veggie options. Link: https://www.saltalaska.com/

Also in Juneau, Sandpiper Cafe is primarily vegetarian and delicious (link: https://sandpiper.cafe/). 

Unfortunately, I can't think of any vegetarian restaurants in Ketchikan, except for Chicos which is pretty darn good Mexican food. (link: https://www.facebook.com/Chicos-Mexican-Restaurant-115776745118119)

• Thanks 1

Hi, is the Sandpiper down there by where the ships dock? And when you are sitting inside looking out the window you can see the small planes take off? (from the water?)

4 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi, is the Sandpiper down there by where the ships dock? And when you are sitting inside looking out the window you can see the small planes take off? (from the water?)

Nope, I believe you're talking about Hangar on the Wharf, which is fun, and good food, but definitely NOT vegetarian. 😃

13 minutes ago, TheSecondSister said:

Nope, I believe you're talking about Hangar on the Wharf, which is fun, and good food, but definitely NOT vegetarian. 😃

Hi, thank you......you are correct! I could not recall the name of that place........I have eaten there before.  It is good😃 but not vegetarian.

4 hours ago, Ombud said:

Ditto on Starfire in Skagway.  Hubby and I always eat there when we’re in town.

Sounds like you might be able to do all your shopping in Creek Street in Ketchikan.  We buy salmon for gifts there.  There are a number of small gift shops that offer Alaskan made gifts that might be appropriate for your daughter.  I know there is a shop (jewelry store) that carries chocolate rocks because I’ve bought them there!  Kids love them!

Edited by disneyochem
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Hi guys, jest got home from work, an turned on the Juneau webcam an there sits the Serenade ots!!!😄  Looks like they gettin ready to pull out. But for how long will it cruise for?

Ship is still there.... makes my heart happy to see that .   And you know Juneau was thrilled today, people came back !  lol 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, katrina915 said:

Leaving in 4 weeks.  I am going to buy a shirt in every port. How do you tell if it's a local business?

Is that store in Ketchikan right by the dock a local business?

I always look for these logos in stores:  https://www.commerce.alaska.gov/web/ded/DEV/AlaskaLoyal.aspx?TSPD_101_R0=0890181cafab20005047401ca90b34cad57c79ded4d71864235d93b3cbfb1a40113336247a7068a108da6760fb1430007d16a7fd8a3341fb162c34843ea6e5836a55f16baa292036e1f23b91d1cc1992c143dd10f9642264273e8bdeac9a17b8

I’m not sure if the store right next to the port carries Alaskan made products.  Creek Street (which has a number of stores who proudly display theses logos) is a short walk.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, LadyMac72 said:

I'll be on the hunt for small totem poles for Christmas gifts this year! Any suggestions?

Tongass Trading near the docks in Ketchikan will have them. Most likely several other shops too.

Edited by Glaciers