LAFFNVEGAS "LIVE" from the Nieuw Amsterdam, First HAL Ship to Sail!!

LAFFNVEGAS

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I have not had the bed turned down on HAL for several recent cruises.  I am not sure this is much of a change.  

Now that you mention it....trying to recall what a turned down bed would look like, all this time I thought it was being turned down when it probably wasn't. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Now that you mention it....trying to recall what a turned down bed would look like, all this time I thought it was being turned down when it probably wasn't. 

I think turn down service means they remove the long tubular throw pillows and the "bed scarf" from the foot of the bed.  They also plump up the pillows and smooth out the comforter.  They make the bed look fresh but don't actually turn down the comforter.  

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I think turn down service means they remove the long tubular throw pillows and the "bed scarf" from the foot of the bed.  They also plump up the pillows and smooth out the comforter.  They make the bed look fresh but don't actually turn down the comforter.  

thanks.  I didn't know if it meant pulling down the sheets and blanket so you can crawl into them, which is what I think of "turndown" at home.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

They make the bed look fresh but don't actually turn down the comforter.  

Once upon a time, more than that was done.  The comforter and the top sheet were turned down, inviting entry into the bed.  

This certainly is a "small potatoes" item, but it is a change from the service that HAL's Stewards once provided.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Once upon a time, more than that was done.  The comforter and the top sheet were turned down, inviting entry into the bed.  

This certainly is a "small potatoes" item, but it is a change from the service that HAL's Stewards once provided.  

Yes I would call that small potatoes.  I'm fine with the service they give.  

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

How delightful!

Sometimes I feel like I missed the boat on classic cruising, pun intended.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, atexsix said:

How delightful!

Sometimes I feel like I missed the boat on classic cruising, pun intended.  

You are not alone my friend.  I "missed the boat" on classic cruising prior to 1970 because of still growing into adulthood, needing to get an education, and a career that would provide me with the financial security to begin cruising and experiencing the world.  

Visiting ships on sailing days in New York as well as in Fort Lauderdale only whetted my desire to "I have to experience this!" prior to 1970.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Lisa, the question was asked on another site, are there people that you are aware of on the ship who are not vaccinated?

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

You had to show your covid vaccine card before you could board and sign all those forms when you check-in online.  So why would you think anyone on the cruise is not vaccinated.  

• Like 1

Good Evening, so sorry for being MIA and that is not the city in Florida 😂😊 internet on the ship totally went down around 11:30 ship time 12:30 Pacific time. When we got to Icy Strait Point still no internet and the cell service was not working at all for most of us , even on roaming. 
it’s was a very full day with Glacier Bay we missed it but Marjorie Glacier was active just not when we saw it.

We had lunch with Seth Wayne, Pinnacle practically had to kick us out we were sitting and talking so long.

Tonight at Icy Straight we went on a Whale Watch, saw LOTS of flapping Whale Tales. We got back to the ship after 9 so only thing to eat is NY Pizza so Tom went down to get one. 
I will attempt to upload pictures, I have a lot of them but internet does not appear strong.

9DCEAF13-AB68-4F0D-8A6E-96A1D128ABB3.jpeg

30632028-3E64-4E7F-91D2-2D51E9D57FE0.jpeg

6F39D4DE-0754-4865-9CAC-1A582C656C08.jpeg

48311EEB-A593-4713-B61B-C4CF3F632850.jpeg

E28AA7A6-E6BE-43AD-B75C-3CD2AFC21724.jpeg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

I saw there were lots of questions, I will try to go back later tomorrow afternoon to answer them, but a bit exhausted tonight.

The next set of pictures are lunch in Pinnacle Grill.

Sorry I cannot believe I totally forgot to take pictures of entrees but We were too busy talking 😂

7C48861F-DC2A-401F-8E35-55B1CF27681A.jpeg

FF501B2D-C0C7-4BF6-A760-2A1F564E4166.jpeg

04BB9774-3FE8-47E9-AB05-3E9B34CE6005.jpeg

EE66A851-4C92-42BD-817B-9D2E53CE65A5.jpeg

F922456C-EC4B-45C2-B99D-C16E90B7CCEE.jpeg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Good Evening, so sorry for being MIA and that is not the city in Florida 😂😊 internet on the ship totally went down around 11:30 ship time 12:30 Pacific time. When we got to Icy Strait Point still no internet and the cell service was not working at all for most of us , even on roaming. 
it’s was a very full day with Glacier Bay we missed it but Marjorie Glacier was active just not when we saw it.

We had lunch with Seth Wayne, Pinnacle practically had to kick us out we were sitting and talking so long.

Tonight at Icy Straight we went on a Whale Watch, saw LOTS of flapping Whale Tales. We got back to the ship after 9 so only thing to eat is NY Pizza so Tom went down to get one. 
I will attempt to upload pictures, I have a lot of them but internet does not appear strong.

9DCEAF13-AB68-4F0D-8A6E-96A1D128ABB3.jpeg

30632028-3E64-4E7F-91D2-2D51E9D57FE0.jpeg

6F39D4DE-0754-4865-9CAC-1A582C656C08.jpeg

48311EEB-A593-4713-B61B-C4CF3F632850.jpeg

E28AA7A6-E6BE-43AD-B75C-3CD2AFC21724.jpeg

I would have gone with room service 😃Those pizzas take FOREVER!!

Edited by atexsix

Last group of photos are just a few of our whale watch at ICP. 
I was please to see the excursion was handled by Allen Marine and actually the boat we were on we have sailed on previously out of Juneau called St Maria. The St Maria has been recently sailing out of Sitka and they brought her and a sister ship up to ICP, after dropping us off after  9 this evening the crew and the ship had to head back to Sitka, which was going to take them slightly over 6 and a half hours. Our guide said it would be after 2:30 in the morning, then the St Maria sling with the other one that was with us at ICP and several others will be doing our tours tomorrow of which we have one at 10:30 Otter Quest then Fortress of the Bear. All pending cell service I will attempt reporting in from Sitka, then tomorrow night try to answer questions I missed.

F8135B83-B0E3-4AF5-8F74-C8543D3A623E.jpeg

AFFB78AE-8B4D-433D-B726-5EA7309C4DBF.jpeg

99D650BA-48E3-49FD-9718-960B1021DD79.jpeg

5C59D719-2B8B-42DA-9CC3-60A0B9AAF3E9.jpeg

31216BDB-F409-4896-9802-EF9EDDD5112E.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Last group of photos are just a few of our whale watch at ICP. 
I was please to see the excursion was handled by Allen Marine and actually the boat we were on we have sailed on previously out of Juneau called St Maria. The St Maria has been recently sailing out of Sitka and they brought her and a sister ship up to ICP, after dropping us off after  9 this evening the crew and the ship had to head back to Sitka, which was going to take them slightly over 6 and a half hours. Our guide said it would be after 2:30 in the morning, then the St Maria sling with the other one that was with us at ICP and several others will be doing our tours tomorrow of which we have one at 10:30 Otter Quest then Fortress of the Bear. All pending cell service I will attempt reporting in from Sitka, then tomorrow night try to answer questions I missed.

F8135B83-B0E3-4AF5-8F74-C8543D3A623E.jpeg

AFFB78AE-8B4D-433D-B726-5EA7309C4DBF.jpeg

99D650BA-48E3-49FD-9718-960B1021DD79.jpeg

5C59D719-2B8B-42DA-9CC3-60A0B9AAF3E9.jpeg

31216BDB-F409-4896-9802-EF9EDDD5112E.jpeg

Is this a tender stop? I've never been there.

21 minutes ago, atexsix said:

I would have gone with room service 😃Those pizzas take FOREVER!!

Actually I think Room Service was probably a longer wait, Tom came back fairly quick despite being pack and his and my plain cheese pizza is already gone 😂 

• Like 7