LAFFNVEGAS "LIVE" from the Nieuw Amsterdam, First HAL Ship to Sail!!

LAFFNVEGAS

16 hours ago, IslandThyme said:

Please tell me you are making all this up, and have a great career ahead of you as a cruise-fiction writer! I know they turn down when you're at dinner, and have wondered how they know, but I assume they see the dining room check in screen. 

I assume since the cards are digital, it shows up somewhere when we enter and leave the room.  But I could be wrong. 

37 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Marjorie Glacier was extremely quiet, we heard no White Thunder so saw no calving maybe others did but not a lot of floating ice either so don’t think she has been too active. We are turning around now but is turning counter clockwise so not placing the aft cabins in front of the glacier. We did go up to the Lido back pool area for some viewing. 

EBE2BFCD-A700-46D3-816A-0B143020C3C7.jpeg

8FA21DE7-E6CA-414C-9766-5A2E04251C18.jpeg

73705416-155D-46D5-BACD-8E0020E278B7.jpeg

1FAD39C4-80EB-4C96-A9EF-8DE904E8F9F3.jpeg

DAE62CC7-64B2-4FA7-AC18-30A860DA2D16.jpeg

616F5720-E112-4630-B899-3645AA0A5000.jpeg

does anybody know what little ship that is?  

16 hours ago, syesmar said:

We did this in 2018 after an Alaska cruise and it was such a wonderful day! When we visited, Chihuly also had a baggage check, so we put a small carry on in there while we were at Garden and Glass. Took the rail from near there to connect for the airport. Loved having our boarding passes in hand after the cruise.

Thank you for positive feedback. Glad to know Port Valet works. We saw the Chihuly Traveling exhibit at Cheekwood Gardens in Nashville. Can't wait to see his Seattle location.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, atexsix said:

does anybody know what little ship that is?  

By the hull colors, I think it is a National Geographic Cruise ship.  It's colors are like what I saw on another one of theirs in 2019 when I was in Alaska.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

By the hull colors, I think it is a National Geographic Cruise ship.  It's colors are like what I saw on another one of theirs in 2019 when I was in Alaska.  

Thanks.  I found it at the same time, by matching up the pictures on vessel finder.

Pretty cool little ship. 

quest-dining.ngsversion.1524941208105.jpg.5c4b35e7bb38ddf0918a4d8dac88a7ff.jpg

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

We are now approaching Marjorie Glacier, they stated we will be here about an hour. 
And for those that asked yes definitely had the delicious Pea Soup 😋

03797A82-7B95-435C-A2AE-D9EDFDC2BFBE.jpeg

It's also called 'snert' , looks delicious

• Like 2

Lisa, you don't mind posting your full name here for all to see?

The ship's phone number on your ship's I.D./room key appears to be a new deal! I like that move! Always good to be in contact, especially when running late on non-ship sponsored shorex

Do you and Tom have access to the Neptune Lounge? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sir PMP said:

It's also called 'snert' , looks delicious

Or "erwten soep" My mum used to make it on cold winter days in Holland, and put "worst" in it 🙂 Btw, they serve it on the bridge also during "glacier day" 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

The ship's phone number on your ship's I.D./room key appears to be a new deal! I like that move! Always good to be in contact, especially when running late on non-ship sponsored shorex

The ship's phone number has been on the ID for years as I recall.

1 minute ago, 12cruise2 said:

Your memory cache is better than mine then - Last cruised Dec 2019/Jan 2020 New Years cruise and I don't recall that number being on there - will have to check those room keys. Regardless, I do like the addition

• Like 2

Lisa, I was wondering if it was difficult finding space for viewing at the railing, or did you have to ask people to move to make room for you?  I recall our Panama Canal cruise where people were 3 or 4 deep at the railing, so we just left and headed up to one of the higher cabin levels forward and stood there, enjoying the sights.

Regarding turn-down service; we haven't had turn-down service since January 19, 2020, so not having it on the ship won't be a change at all.  LOL

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, StephMB said:

Great points. I’m on this cruise. My server knew they had wine packages. I always get the wine package, but this cruise we did the “have it all” and have the drink package. A lot of people have it, which is why they aren’t pushing the wine packages like usual. I’m confused as to where all the confusion is as to why people don’t think there is a wine package. They have a menu like they always do. 

thanks - good to hear.  Whether we “have it all”. “SBP” or not, we order the wine packages.  Much appreciated. 👍 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

Correction to my post--I checked my old card keys--phone number was not on fall 2018 Cuba trip, but was on the 2019 and early 2020 cruises.

Edited by 12cruise2
added year
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Or "erwten soep" My mum used to make it on cold winter days in Holland, and put "worst" in it 🙂 Btw, they serve it on the bridge also during "glacier day" 

Hema worst of unox..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zelker said:

Stunning blue skies ... looks like the weather gods are cooperating now that you're in our glorious 49th State!  Looking forward to reading about the day in the various parts of Glacier Bay.  

Let us know how the whale watch goes we have the same excursion. 

4 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Lol it was not long after we entered Glacier Bay the clouds suddenly appeared. But that is still good 😊 

We are currently in the Lido with a lite breakfast. ...

Question about breakfast.  Is there a waffle/crepe station on the Lido?  I was on the zandaam in 2019 for the Montreal - Boston cruise and there was the most delightful crew member who made waffles and crepes each morning and sang while he cooked!  He often sang "Tiny Waffle"  as his version of Tiny Bubbles and other fun songs.  Thought I saw him in your video as you embarked - as one of the crew members cheering . 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

We've been on many Alaska cruises. Once on NCL I asked a server on deck that was sellIng hot toddies "where's the pea soup"?? He said "wrong ship"

INGREDIENTS
1 pound of split peas, soaked overnight
1 pork knuckle or ham hock
6 ounces diced pork belly
2 cups Rookwoorst
(1 cup diced, 1 cup sliced)
1 cup onion, diced
1 cup leek, diced
1 cup of celery, diced
1 cup carrot, diced
1 cup diced Dutch potato
¼ cup celeriac, diced
½ cup celery leaves
8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
Salt & pepper
bay leaf
Slice of pumpernickel bread
butter
Speck ham

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. In a 6 quart stock pot sauté pork belly and ½ of the smoked sausage
2. Add onions and leeks and a pinch of salt. Saute until translucent
3. Add celery, carrots and celeriac. Saute until softened
4. Add chicken or vegetable stock, diced potato, split peas and pork knuckle
5. Simmer for about 45 minutes until the peas are tender
6. Skim off any foam while the soup cooks
7. For a smoother soup, carefully puree in a food processor or blender in small batches.
8. Saute sliced smoked sausage and garnish each bowl with sauces slices and minced celery leaves

Serve with a buttered slice of pumpernickel bread topped with prosciutto, ham or speck.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, atexsix said:

Weather there can turn on a dime 😞

In 2007 when we were in Alaska we did a helicopter-landing-on-a-glacier excursion on a rather cloudy, rainy day (many of those excursions were cancelled). When we got to walk around on the glacier the pilot told us to not venture too far away. Apparent some time previously a helicopter on excursion was stuck there either a few hours or overnight (I don't recall) when the weather changed quickly and they could not get everyone back in time to take off.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

National Geographic Quest, operated by Lindblad Expeditions

Lindblad Expeditions-National Geographic (USA) - National Geographic Quest.jpg

Great picture, thanks!  I read a review on CC and it sounds like they are a might pricey, on par with an entire HAL 7 day in a Penthouse or a couple of Neptunes.

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Boytjie said:

In 2007 when we were in Alaska we did a helicopter-landing-on-a-glacier excursion on a rather cloudy, rainy day (many of those excursions were cancelled). When we got to walk around on the glacier the pilot told us to not venture too far away. Apparent some time previously a helicopter on excursion was stuck there either a few hours or overnight (I don't recall) when the weather changed quickly and they could not get everyone back in time to take off.

Wow, that sounds like a harrowing experience.  Yikes!

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Hopefully a moderator can remove it if she asks.

Edited by atexsix