Considering RCL - General Questions

Hello all!  I am considering booking with Royal, and I have only sailed them them once (and that was over 10 years ago).  I normally sail with NCL, in their haven suites.   I think its time to try a different cruise line 🙂 

While researching different cruises I noticed that the deposit is non-refundable.  Since I'm booking for November 2022 - that makes me a little nervous.  Will Royal at least let you move your deposit to another cruise if you change your mine? 

Also, the sale they have currently going on - is this a reoccurring sale or will it really be ending soon?  NCL has had the same sale for years, but also has "ending soon"

Now the biggest question.  I am looking at either the Oasis or Harmony ship and will likely book a two bedroom grand suite.  It will be me, hubby and my 16 year old granddaughter.  My 30 something single son will also be with us.  I am going to try to convince him to stay in the same room as us so he can enjoy the suite perks, but from prior cruises I know I will have a hard time convincing him to do that.    On NCL i miss out on a bunch of the perks, the biggest being not being able to dine in the haven restaurant.   Not sure how Royal is with the suite perks - so will I miss out on much if I can't convince him? 

Any big differences with the Oasis and the Harmony?  

Thanks all! 

You can choose a refundable deposit with Royal. You just have to keep going through the booking process until you see the option. I think it's where you select your dining option. It'll give you a dollar amount that will make it refundable. The amount not only varies per cruise but can vary over time for one cruise. Almost always it's higher than the penalty of a non-refundable cruise. You can change your cruise from refundable to non-refundable before final payment but I'm pretty positive it'd be repricing the cruise. But suites are always non-refundable so if you're sailing in one you can't choose refundable. 

If you want to change a non refundable cruise there's a $100 penalty and they give you the rest is a FCC.

Royal always has sales. They're not quite as enduring as NCL's free perks that never really go away. Sometimes the sales don't change the price, sometimes they do. 

For suites on Oasis class the big perk is the suites only restaurant and the suite lounge. There's smaller perks like reserved seating at shows and there's a suites sundeck. I think those are the main perks around the ship. There's no pool area for suites like the haven has. 

Edited by smplybcause
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

You can choose a refundable deposit with Royal. You just have to keep going through the booking process until you see the option. I think it's where you select your dining option. It'll give you a dollar amount that will make it refundable. The amount not only varies per cruise but can vary over time for one cruise. Almost always it's higher than the penalty of a non-refundable cruise. You can change your cruise from refundable to non-refundable before final payment but I'm pretty positive it'd be repricing the cruise. But suites are always non-refundable so if you're sailing in one you can't choose refundable. 

If you want to change a non refundable cruise there's a $100 penalty and they give you the rest is a FCC.

Royal always has sales. They're not quite as enduring as NCL's free perks that never really go away. Sometimes the sales don't change the price, sometimes they do. 

For suites on Oasis class the big perk is the suites only restaurant and the suite lounge. There's smaller perks like reserved seating at shows and there's a suites sundeck. I think those are the main perks around the ship. There's no pool area for suites like the haven has. 

Suite deposits are nonrefundable.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Merion_Mom said:

Suite deposits are nonrefundable.

I said it in the last sentence of the first paragraph, but can see how it got lost in the other stuff. I explained it out in case their son picks a regular room. 

• Like 1

From what I hear , rccl suite perks are not as good as havens, suite restaurant CK is nothing special , good breakfast, ok lunch , we normally skip it for dinner and do specialty restaurants. Suite happy hour also is limited just 3.5 hours , lousy wine, but great view. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, workingmom200112 said:

Also, the sale they have currently going on - is this a reoccurring sale or will it really be ending soon?

From what I've seen over time, there seems to almost always be a sale going on, albeit not always the same one. 30% off all guests, 60% off 2nd guest, kids sail free...they mix it up a bit. Depending on how many of you are going and whether any are kids, it may be worthwhile waiting for a sale that matches your group demographics. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, workingmom200112 said:

thanks all!  I will just have to be extra sure that i can do the cruise I book 🙂 

Non refundable does not mean you lose your deposit. 

A $100 per person penalty is withheld if you cancel or change ship or sail date.  The balance of your depisit is returned as a Future Cruise Credit. In your case with 3 in the room the deposit woukd be $750 so you woukd kiss $300 and get a $450 FCC (one FCC of $150 for each guest) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Non refundable does not mean you lose your deposit. 

A $100 per person penalty is withheld if you cancel or change ship or sail date.  The balance of your depisit is returned as a Future Cruise Credit. In your case with 3 in the room the deposit woukd be $750 so you woukd kiss $300 and get a $450 FCC (one FCC of $150 for each guest) 

Thanks for the info! 

2 hours ago, matj2000 said:

I don't understand why you cannot eat in the Haven restaurant if you have a Haven suite..

OP was saying that their son gets a standard room, rather than staying in the suite with the parents, therefore the son isn't able to join them in the Haven restaurant, so they forego that perk in order to be able to have their son at the table with them for meals.

We booked a 2 bedroom grand suite on the Harmony of the Seas for February 2022, keep in mind there are only 4 of these suites on the Harmony of the Seas so check availability first thing while you go through your decision process because these rooms book quickly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisinelmo said:

We booked a 2 bedroom grand suite on the Harmony of the Seas for February 2022, keep in mind there are only 4 of these suites on the Harmony of the Seas so check availability first thing while you go through your decision process because these rooms book quickly.

I guess I need to hurry up and make a decision then!  Thanks for the info, didn’t realize this 

22 hours ago, workingmom200112 said:

Any big differences with the Oasis and the Harmony?  

From our experience, the suite lounge and restaurant on Harmony are a lot nicer than the one on Oasis. Harmony is a newer ship (Oasis was the original ship in that class), but Oasis was refurbished to come close to the amenities that Harmony was built with.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2021 at 11:31 PM, brillohead said:

OP was saying that their son gets a standard room, rather than staying in the suite with the parents, therefore the son isn't able to join them in the Haven restaurant, so they forego that perk in order to be able to have their son at the table with them for meals.

Ok,  I got it...

On 7/24/2021 at 10:33 AM, orville99 said:

From our experience, the suite lounge and restaurant on Harmony are a lot nicer than the one on Oasis. Harmony is a newer ship (Oasis was the original ship in that class), but Oasis was refurbished to come close to the amenities that Harmony was built with.

Not sure I agree with this.  I have been in suites several times on oasis and I really like the suite lounge.  We have done a CL suite on Harmony too, but the bar is on the inside wall so there is zero view when seated at the bar.  Basically, the bar is the big downside to the Harmony SL IMO.   Unless they changed it recently, the bar in the SL on Oasis is much bigger and when seated at the bar you face the pool with great views of the ship and ocean.  We thought the food and service was much better than the non specialty options on both ships.  The view is the best part during breakfast and lunch.  

The prior post about free drinks being for 3.5 hours is wrong.  On Oasis class, which has a true SL, it is free beer and wine from late morning until about 11 at night.  I think liquor is free for just the 3.5 hours in the evening.  But beer and house wine is included for about 12 hours a day.  You can also grab a soda or bottled water in there during that time.  

Another perk for Sky Class (the suite you mentioned) is the suite pool deck (above the cantilevered hot tubs on oasis class).  It is a nice quiet place.  On Harmony there is a hot tub on the suite deck.  On oasis there isn’t.  That is a big plus for Harmony.  Both have a bar, but you pay for the drinks (unlike in the suite lounge).  The also have a bathroom up there which is nice.  

Sky class also includes the internet package for all passengers in the cabin.  There are also some free things like pressing your shirts or dresses.  And also reserved seating for shows which was great.  Particularly for the aqua show.  

If you really want an experience and have the ability, check out the 2 BR Aqua Suites.  The views and balconies are amazing.  Plus you are star class and almost everything is included (drink package, all specialty restaurants, etc.) and you get a Genie (concierge for just a few cabin).  The experience is awesome and depending on pricing might be worth it.  

1 hour ago, topnole said:

Not sure I agree with this.  I have been in suites several times on oasis and I really like the suite lounge.  We have done a CL suite on Harmony too, but the bar is on the inside wall so there is zero view when seated at the bar.  Basically, the bar is the big downside to the Harmony SL IMO.   Unless they changed it recently, the bar in the SL on Oasis is much bigger and when seated at the bar you face the pool with great views of the ship and ocean.  We thought the food and service was much better than the non specialty options on both ships.  The view is the best part during breakfast and lunch.  

The prior post about free drinks being for 3.5 hours is wrong.  On Oasis class, which has a true SL, it is free beer and wine from late morning until about 11 at night.  I think liquor is free for just the 3.5 hours in the evening.  But beer and house wine is included for about 12 hours a day.  You can also grab a soda or bottled water in there during that time.  

Another perk for Sky Class (the suite you mentioned) is the suite pool deck (above the cantilevered hot tubs on oasis class).  It is a nice quiet place.  On Harmony there is a hot tub on the suite deck.  On oasis there isn’t.  That is a big plus for Harmony.  Both have a bar, but you pay for the drinks (unlike in the suite lounge).  The also have a bathroom up there which is nice.  

Sky class also includes the internet package for all passengers in the cabin.  There are also some free things like pressing your shirts or dresses.  And also reserved seating for shows which was great.  Particularly for the aqua show.  

If you really want an experience and have the ability, check out the 2 BR Aqua Suites.  The views and balconies are amazing.  Plus you are star class and almost everything is included (drink package, all specialty restaurants, etc.) and you get a Genie (concierge for just a few cabin).  The experience is awesome and depending on pricing might be worth it.  

That’s for the info!  I will definitely check out the 2 bd aqua suite… 

After spending yesterday watching YouTube videos I decided I definitely want to sail on this ship 😁

3 hours ago, topnole said:

Unless anyone in your group is in a wheelchair -- Royal doesn't have any accessible Star Class suites available. The closest you can get is the accessible Crown Loft Suite, which is only Sky Class.  No Genie for wheelchair users.

On 7/23/2021 at 8:44 AM, workingmom200112 said:

My 30 something single son will also be with us.  I am going to try to convince him to stay in the same room as us so he can enjoy the suite perks, but from prior cruises I know I will have a hard time convincing him to do that.   

Hey mom im sure your son loves you

but if im a single 30 something male with a bevy of single ladies on a cruise

I would want my own cabin as well and not sure if i would be worried about where i am eating dinner

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, jonbgd said:

Hey mom im sure your son loves you

but if im a single 30 something male with a bevy of single ladies on a cruise

I would want my own cabin as well and not sure if i would be worried about where i am eating dinner

I've often cruised with my son when he was single... where there's a will, there's a way!  😉

• Haha 1