No NCL cruises out of USA yet? Am I missing something?

2 hours ago, Karaboudjan said:

The press release does still clearly say that there is a 100% vaccination policy.  I'm not sure how that works but that is why I don't think the disclaimer necessarily indicates a change of policy.  

Are you of the belief that NCL has been allowing both religious and medical exemptions to book all along? 

29 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Are you of the belief that NCL has been allowing both religious and medical exemptions to book all along? 

I have no idea if they have, but I wonder if they would have had to if someone requested one.  Maybe they are legally required to?  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, choose2cruz said:

I've never sailed with Norwegian, but I have two cruises booked with them. If they don't return to something approaching normalcy soon, I'm cancelling both. And I won't consider booking with them again. Sure, I'd feel more comfortable sailing on a ship that was 100% or even 95% vaccinated only. But, not sailing, despite the reasoning, is not sustainable. A company generates revenues or it goes out of business. If, in the worst case, there is a virus outbreak on a cruise ship, the CDC will shut everyone down again. Then what? I think you will see a lot of cruise lines go under, and I expect Norwegian would be one of the first.

Nothing will be "normal" for a while. Might as well cancel now. Even the CDC is recommending mask use for fully vaccinated persons today because of the spread of COVID-19 and the Delta variant. Based on this CDC guidance, I would not be surprised to see masking rules being added to COVID protocols onboard fully vaccinated cruises in the near future. We're on the Encore next month and were hoping to avoid masks..... but we realize that attempts to be "normal" ashore have not worked to contain new variants. 

47 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Nothing will be "normal" for a while. Might as well cancel now. Even the CDC is recommending mask use for fully vaccinated persons today because of the spread of COVID-19 and the Delta variant. Based on this CDC guidance, I would not be surprised to see masking rules being added to COVID protocols onboard fully vaccinated cruises in the near future. We're on the Encore next month and were hoping to avoid masks..... but we realize that attempts to be "normal" ashore have not worked to contain new variants. 

Yea. It’s sucking.  I posted elsewhere, but Orlando announced today the are “crisis mode” and elevated to COVID condition Red. Who knows.  

To me, this appears to answer the "religious/medical exemption" question.  From NCL's Sail Safe Sail Free policy re Vaccinations Health & Safety about whether unvaccinated children are allowed to sail (received today with the link to register for our covid tests at embarkation): 

The safety and security of our guests, crew and communities we visit is our number one priority. In order to provide the safest cruise experience possible, all guests and crew will need to be fully vaccinated for all sailings with embarkation dates prior to October 31, 2021. Therefore, minors who have not yet been eligible to be vaccinated will not be permitted to sail on these voyages. Minors who have been fully vaccinated are welcome to sail.

We look forward to the day when we can safely welcome these guests back onboard our ships, when the public health environment allows us to modify our protocols accordingly. We will continue to constantly evaluate our health and safety protocols with our expert Council and will follow the latest science to determine requirements for all future sailings embarking beginning in November 2021. We commit to keeping guests apprised of any policy changes as far in advance as possible of their scheduled vacation.

Edited by NikiPinkston
added something
  • Like 4

@NikiPinkstonI agree that the safe sail page is very specific. It's been the same wording for a long long time. No question there, no kids. However; the disclaimer was added July 26th and it conflicts what is published in safesail. I am always cautious with corporate disclaimers and conflicting information.

I tend to think NCL is going to try to follow the original guidelines as long as possible.  Maybe they can make it until October 31st (there aren't many ships sailing). The early Alaska sailings have the best chance since they are selling well.

My point has always been that sailing with 100% vaccinated is not sustainable from a business model. I love cruising and want to see the lines succeed and in order to do that they need profitable sailings. I don't believe they will turn a profit by alienating nearly 50% of the general population. The gem bookings look bleak 😞

I will add that I also think those of you who are sailing in the upcoming months are going to get a great experience (as long as you are flexible with last minute changes in policy) and I wish you the best sailing ever!!!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

@NikiPinkstonI agree that the safe sail page is very specific. It's been the same wording for a long long time. No question there, no kids. However; the disclaimer was added July 26th and it conflicts what is published in safesail. I am always cautious with corporate disclaimers and conflicting information.

I tend to think NCL is going to try to follow the original guidelines as long as possible.  Maybe they can make it until October 31st (there aren't many ships sailing). The early Alaska sailings have the best chance since they are selling well.

My point has always been that sailing with 100% vaccinated is not sustainable from a business model. I love cruising and want to see the lines succeed and in order to do that they need profitable sailings. I don't believe they will turn a profit by alienating nearly 50% of the general population. The gem bookings look bleak 😞

I will add that I also think those of you who are sailing in the upcoming months are going to get a great experience (as long as you are flexible with last minute changes in policy) and I wish you the best sailing ever!!!

Thank you, BermudaBound, 2014!  I think we'll be so glad to be cruising again that we'll take whatever "adjustments" come up in stride.  I guess, looking at Cruise Critic polls, I was thinking that  most cruisers were pro-100% vaccinations but, of course, all cruisers don't read CC or participate in these polls.  Also of note is that, according to Sail Safe, children who are vaccinated are able to sail.  I personally have a soft spot for children in general.  Only time I didn't on a cruise was a little boy who kept picking his nose throughout dinner & his parents said nothing to him.  (Sorry to put that visual in your brain.) 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, NikiPinkston said:

Thank you, BermudaBound, 2014!  I think we'll be so glad to be cruising again that we'll take whatever "adjustments" come up in stride.  I guess, looking at Cruise Critic polls, I was thinking that  most cruisers were pro-100% vaccinations but, of course, all cruisers don't read CC or participate in these polls.  Also of note is that, according to Sail Safe, children who are vaccinated are able to sail.  I personally have a soft spot for children in general.  Only time I didn't on a cruise was a little boy who kept picking his nose throughout dinner & his parents said nothing to him.  (Sorry to put that visual in your brain.) 

The cruise critic poll does indicate 85% prefer 100% vaccination, but CC members are less than 5% of the cruising population. If most CC members want 100% vaccination, they need to actually book 100% vacinated cruises now. That isn't happening.

Regardless of the poll indicating we (cc members) prefer 100% vaxed, it appears to me that most loyal cruisers are fine sailing with 95% (as evidenced by Celebrity, CCL, and Royal bookings).  If there truly is a market for 100% vaccinated cruising, it will exist, but right now the booking numbers don't appear support the policy. 

Plus, NCL is a family friendly cruise line. With only 25% of parents stating they will vaccinate their children this is another big blow to the 100% vaccination rule.

..... and thanks for the visual LOL 🙂 🙂 🙂 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

I think there is more to the lite bookings than just vaccinated/unvaccinated and no children. Most of the people around me are not willing to cruise any time soon regardless of the vaccinated status on a ship. The majority just aren’t going. I’m not sure vaccinated status has much impact. Those who are willing to go are but the majority aren’t. 

1 hour ago, saltsandknit said:

I think there is more to the lite bookings than just vaccinated/unvaccinated and no children. Most of the people around me are not willing to cruise any time soon regardless of the vaccinated status on a ship. The majority just aren’t going. I’m not sure vaccinated status has much impact. Those who are willing to go are but the majority aren’t. 

I have been very vocal since last summer that I believe the real challenge for cruise lines is public perception. Johnny public isn’t booking. Real problem.

But…… cruise loyalists are booking and it doesn’t appear they care much whether or not the requirements are 100% or 95%. If it mattered that much, cruisers would be booking ncl. Instead there is an equal spread to ccl, celebrity and RCl. 

21 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

I get that, in the sense of "normal" before COVID. I meant something closer to what other cruise lines are doing, which for most seems responsible. There is a perception that someday COVID will magically disappear, but viruses don't do that. Hopefully, at some point it will mutate into something less viral and dangerous as other viruses have done. But there will never be "normal" again in the sense of how things were before. Any cruise line refusing to sail with less than 100% vaccinated people is not going to remain in business. I'm not against that concept, as a vaccinated person. But when I book a cruise, unless there is a, God forbid, virus outbreak on a ship at some point, I want to have confidence the cruise is actually going to sail.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 7:48 PM, roger001 said:

Yea. It’s sucking.  I posted elsewhere, but Orlando announced today the are “crisis mode” and elevated to COVID condition Red. Who knows.  

My daughter is a covid icu nurse in Orlando. She has been on vacation for 10 days. She came back  to a veritable nightmare. 975 cases at Advent.

11 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

The cruise critic poll does indicate 85% prefer 100% vaccination, but CC members are less than 5% of the cruising population. If most CC members want 100% vaccination, they need to actually book 100% vacinated cruises now. That isn't happening.

Regardless of the poll indicating we (cc members) prefer 100% vaxed, it appears to me that most loyal cruisers are fine sailing with 95% (as evidenced by Celebrity, CCL, and Royal bookings).  If there truly is a market for 100% vaccinated cruising, it will exist, but right now the booking numbers don't appear support the policy. 

Plus, NCL is a family friendly cruise line. With only 25% of parents stating they will vaccinate their children this is another big blow to the 100% vaccination rule.

..... and thanks for the visual LOL 🙂 🙂 🙂 

I follow John head on FB and assumed they would allow unvaccinated. When they announced vaccinated only ,most people seemed all for it. It seems many people understand the risk of cruising, even those choosing to remain unvaccinated. 

20 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Encore up in Seattle will be the first to go.

Looking forward to having NCL up and running.  Hopefully someone does a "live from" or short review to see how the protocols fall into place. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gardening_guy said:

Looking forward to having NCL up and running.  Hopefully someone does a "live from" or short review to see how the protocols fall into place. 

agree as things are changing quickly.

but NCL is the only ship in Seattle doing testing to even get on the ship.  That is why I switched to RCI as I feel a lot of people are still carriers everywhere you go these days.  No need to slam the door in my face about getting on a ship. I got my vaccine and behaved with masks wearing.

Still NCL is brave in what they are trying to do, but people will perhaps end up positive a few days later.

I hate to say this but 2023 is looking like the first year of normal not 2022.  So very sad for the whole world.  I hope my Sept Ovation of the seas goes well.  Glad I got a balcony to hide on.

3 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

agree as things are changing quickly.

but NCL is the only ship in Seattle doing testing to even get on the ship.  That is why I switched to RCI as I feel a lot of people are still carriers everywhere you go these days.  No need to slam the door in my face about getting on a ship. I got my vaccine and behaved with masks wearing.

Still NCL is brave in what they are trying to do, but people will perhaps end up positive a few days later.

I hate to say this but 2023 is looking like the first year of normal not 2022.  So very sad for the whole world.  I hope my Sept Ovation of the seas goes well.  Glad I got a balcony to hide on.

But,,, on RCI, you still need to take a test at your own time and expense to get on the ship. So, if you are "carrying", that door will slam in your face by RCI too. 

And,,, on RCI, since there are unvaccinated passengers aboard at levels potentially > 5%, you need to wear a mask unless you are actively eating or sitting in a vaxxed only area on the ship. 

We'll stick with NCL. 

• Like 5

On 7/29/2021 at 6:22 PM, BirdTravels said:

But,,, on RCI, you still need to take a test at your own time and expense to get on the ship. So, if you are "carrying", that door will slam in your face by RCI too. 

And,,, on RCI, since there are unvaccinated passengers aboard at levels potentially > 5%, you need to wear a mask unless you are actively eating or sitting in a vaxxed only area on the ship. 

We'll stick with NCL. 

This just changed yesterday. 

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

This just changed yesterday. 

Nope. Which is why we are sailing NCL. And not RCI which is following the CSO. 

And RCI had at least 8 Covid positive passengers this week including 2 fully vaxxed passengers in Alaska. 

Edited by BirdTravels

People seem to be assuming that NCL will win it's case against Florida. I doubt it. NCL will have 2 choices: Either do what the other lines are doing, or leave Florida. I doubt they will leave Florida, regardless of what FDR says.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

People seem to be assuming that NCL will win it's case against Florida. I doubt it. NCL will have 2 choices: Either do what the other lines are doing, or leave Florida. I doubt they will leave Florida, regardless of what FDR says.

And they need to figure it out before the Gem embarks on 15 August.

25 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

Using your opinion as a starting point.  If the worst case is they do what others do, it is one hell of a strategy.  That option is always there.  The key is it is there after they take Florida to court.  NCL win or lose comes out the winner.  We are all so short sighted on this situation.  We think NCL is doing this just because it is the right thing to do.  They are doing this to say, "See how strong I am.  I am not taking this sitting down.  At least I fought for what was right."  That is one hell of a Positive PR approach.

I would like to complement all the other cruise brands that figured out the work-a-round.  Just make it more expensive, restrictive and uncomfortable for a non-vaccinated guest to cruise.  Then the first time they break the rules, off the ship they go with camera's rolling.  Let me add something here, my wife is FULLY vaccinated as I am.  We were about to go on a FULLY vaccinated cruise leaving TODAY on Crystal Cruises.  She got Covid 8-days ago.  She is fine now as a result of being fully vaccinated and the Antibody treatment.  

Fully Vaccinated Cruises are the way to go but don't think that it will result in no Positive Cases on those ships.  Reduced and not sever cases maybe.  Covid is here for a while.  Decides your own risk level just to decide it for me by not protecting your self.  Be kind to others while making your own choices.  

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

We are all so short sighted on this situation.  We think NCL is doing this just because it is the right thing to do.  They are doing this to say, "See how strong I am.  I am not taking this sitting down.  At least I fought for what was right."  That is one hell of a Positive PR approach.

I absolutely agree. There is a reason NCL is the only one sueing Florida and the only one yet to sail from the USA. I also agree that NCL isn't taking this stand because they are the most concerned about safety. Your theory is interesting. My therory is more along the lines of NCL as a pawn for much bigger fish in an even bigger sea. Time will tell. 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Using your opinion as a starting point.  If the worst case is they do what others do, it is one hell of a strategy.  That option is always there.  The key is it is there after they take Florida to court.  NCL win or lose comes out the winner.  We are all so short sighted on this situation.  We think NCL is doing this just because it is the right thing to do.  They are doing this to say, "See how strong I am.  I am not taking this sitting down.  At least I fought for what was right."  That is one hell of a Positive PR approach.

I would like to complement all the other cruise brands that figured out the work-a-round.  Just make it more expensive, restrictive and uncomfortable for a non-vaccinated guest to cruise.  Then the first time they break the rules, off the ship they go with camera's rolling.  Let me add something here, my wife is FULLY vaccinated as I am.  We were about to go on a FULLY vaccinated cruise leaving TODAY on Crystal Cruises.  She got Covid 8-days ago.  She is fine now as a result of being fully vaccinated and the Antibody treatment.  

Fully Vaccinated Cruises are the way to go but don't think that it will result in no Positive Cases on those ships.  Reduced and not sever cases maybe.  Covid is here for a while.  Decides your own risk level just to decide it for me by not protecting your self.  Be kind to others while making your own choices.  

NCL's approach was to get started while minimizing the risk of dealing with COVID onboard for a couple of months. The other cruise lines are dealing with COVID outbreaks every week (this week there were at least two covid positive passengers on the Serenade out of Seattle and six on the Adventure out of Nassau).

The second objective was to remove the CDC CSO from impeding their start-up. To do this, they had to run with >95% vaccinated passengers and crew on board. And by doing this, they avoided the need to do test cruises and the risk of someone saying "no". And by side-stepping the CSO, they can also avoid the masking and social distancing requirements of the CSO making the cruise experience a lot more "normal" for passengers. 

Things that NCL is able to side-step....

While we totally enjoyed our Royal cruise last month, social distancing rules were just weird. The section below was nearly 100% full (there are actually 2 empty seats), all other seats were blocked for social distancing. The first two rows are blocked to keep dirty passengers away from the performers, every other row is blocked, every 2 seats are blocked. 

image.png.eb89aa9bcc51da00d86b086c174f03d2.png

Same was true for the main theater (seats with white covers are blocked for social distancing), taking the theater capacity to 20% normal. Since only a small portion of the passengers could attend any performance, they had to repeat the shows several times, reducing the total number of shows done during the week. 

image.png.c46cfe0367216a4867cf49c06e6d4335.png

Going dancing at night, but having to only dance in the "dot" to stay away from others was weird

image.png.bede0e30afefa26a924eb5a9d5aba89e.png

Don't move a lounger on the beach, the social distancing police with ask you to move them back. 10' separation between loungers (groups of 2 or 4 only,,, don't have 5 people in your family). 

image.png.0b1131e28c1f23b4b9163da2737af8d6.png

image.png.d160fd972bf5bd158fda504f89bab947.png

NCL's approach to make cruise "normal" again. 

image.png.4ca41c50bcab2a675117b7bcb1ac75a2.png

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 3:36 PM, Oceansaway17 said:

Encore up in Seattle will be the first to go.

Anyone know how full the Encore Seattle sailings will be in Sep/Oct ? ie 60% capacity etc.

Edited by tedbearz