Covid on board?

39august

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

You would need an antigen test to fly to the USA from St Maarten or anywhere else.  But, unless I have missed the rule, you DO NOT need an antigen test if you are on a closed-loop cruise that embarks-disembarks from a US Port.  Perhaps I am wrong, but I simply cannot find that rule.  And now that the Court has done away with the Conditional Sail Order (CDO) as far as it being a mandate for Florida based cruises , the cruise ships have even more flexibility for cruises sailing in-out of Florida ports.

Hank

When flying in to Florida from another US state and are fully vaccinated you do not need an antigen test to board the ship. You also do not need an antigen test to disembark on return to Florida. The country's port that you embark/disembark from determines the testing requirements.

Unvaccinated passengers however, must arrive at the port with a negative PCR test. They are given an antigen test prior to boarding, then mid-way through the cruise and again prior to disembarking. They are also required to wear masks on board.

These were the health protocols that X had in place for our Edge Caribbean cruise when we departed on July 17th. We were very happy with the protocols and hope that X will continue them for as long as they are necessary. There were no cases of Covid on our cruise. And it was so nice to be able to not have to wear a mask on board the ship!

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

Not sure why someone would post a thread with this title...it just stirs up all kinds of comments.  SMH.  

It is like a headline that attracts you to the thread I guess.  It seemed to work.   We are reading and responding to it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jerseygirl3 said:

Positive guest with symptoms onboard Silhouette. It’s only going to get worse folks. 

An occasional positive should be expected.  Protocols are in place to deal with it.  Why do you think it will get worse?

• Like 4

15 hours ago, riverotter said:

One person, it looks like today, the 26th, on Millennium at Juneau has tested positive and taken off the ship.  

https://www.alaskapublic.org/2021/07/26/it-happened-someone-on-a-large-cruise-ship-in-juneau-has-tested-positive-for-covid-19/

Thanks for posting.  It will be impossible on any ship to not have a Covid positive once in a while.  But I still say that ships that are 95 to 100% vaccinated are safer from exposure than most land activities where perhaps 50% or less people you encounter are vaccinated.  But of course a positive test from a person in Walmart does not make the news like any positive test on a cruise ship.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Thanks for posting.  It will be impossible on any ship to not have a Covid positive once in a while.  But I still say that ships that are 95 to 100% vaccinated are safer from exposure than most land activities where perhaps 50% or less people you encounter are vaccinated.  But of course a positive test from a person in Walmart does not make the news like any positive test on a cruise ship.

If I go to Walmart or any other indoor venue, I wear a mask and my exposure to people is very limited. I try to keep my distance from others. I do my shopping and then I leave.

On a cruise, it's a different story.

9 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

It's true that one makes the news more, but they also aren't comparable events.

That Walmart shopper didn't spend thousands of dollars planning a vacation for months and months, only to be kicked off the ship and sent home even though they're vaccinated.

4 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

It's true that one makes the news more, but they also aren't comparable events.

That Walmart shopper didn't spend thousands of dollars planning a vacation for months and months, only to be kicked off the ship and sent home even though they're vaccinated.

So because they spent the time and money or because they are vaccinated the infection/positive test should be ignored?

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

An occasional positive should be expected.  Protocols are in place to deal with it.  Why do you think it will get worse?

That's just how some people roll in life....

But you are correct, as long as they keep testing people, it will show up.  Protocols seem to be working.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Miaminice said:

So because they spent the time and money or because they are vaccinated the infection/positive test should be ignored?

That wasn't the point of my post.  I was pointing out the reason it makes the news more.

Edited by iamaqt2

1 minute ago, iamaqt2 said:

That wasn't the point that of my post.  I was pointing out the reason it makes the news more.

Your statement "only to be kicked off the ship and sent home even though they're vaccinated" sure sounded like it though 

1 minute ago, Miaminice said:

Your statement "only to be kicked off the ship and sent home even though they're vaccinated" sure sounded like it though 

Because it's a heads up to travellers what can happen to them if they test positive.

Why so confrontational this morning?  Do you need a Snickers?

• Like 1

Sorry to bring up Walmart.  My intent was to point out that you do not know who is vaccinated or not on most land venues.  Except kids under 12 who seem to not be wearing masks anywhere. On ships you are guaranteed on Celebrity that 95+% are vaccinated.  Even so a positive case will be reported as if the world is ending.  The few positive cases reported so far have not been reported as serious illness or worse.  Most have had no symptoms and were picked up by screening.  The system seems to be working.  It would be a real shame if cruising would be set back again because of a few expected positive tests.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

Because it's a heads up to travellers what can happen to them if they test positive.

Why so confrontational this morning?  Do you need a Snickers?

Not confrontational at all... I just think the way you wrote it is misleading.

Anyone, no matter how much time or money they spent, no matter if vaccinated or not, takes the chance of being tested positive and to be "kicked off the ship and sent home". 
It´s  a risk we have to live with when booking and a necessary procedure and protocol.
It seems like we are on the same page - just asked to understand what you were saying.

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

Not confrontational at all... I just think the way you wrote it is misleading.

Anyone, no matter how much time or money they spent, no matter if vaccinated or not, takes the chance of being tested positive and to be "kicked off the ship and sent home". 
It´s  a risk we have to live with when booking and a necessary procedure and protocol.
It seems like we are on the same page - just asked to understand what you were saying.

Yes agreed.  We will cruise on Millie soon knowing full well that if for some reason we test positive our vacation will end.  We choose to take this risk.  It is a very low risk but obviously not zero.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I have a couple of questions, especially based on what I’m seeing real time. Why did they test that person? And if positive, why did they knee jerk kick them off the ship? Do they have Tracelets on Millenium?

Teerick, we are seeing enough breakthrough cases now to make me think that a significant percent of vaccinated persons can get enough of an infection with Delta to transmit. Significant illness is rare in these breakthroughs, but the sniffles or a bad cold may not be.

I guess it doesn’t make a lot of sense to me with all these protocols in place, to take people off.  I know why they are doing that, they don’t want to be responsible, and right now particularly, there is 0 tolerance for a positive test, but I’m afraid cruises will start seeing a lot more positive tests with minor illness in vaccinated persons and if they want to keep cruising they are going to have to come up with some sort of middle ground for this situation.

Edited by cangelmd
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cangelmd said:

I have a couple of questions, especially based on what I’m seeing real time. Why did they test that person? And if positive, why did they knee jerk kick them off the ship? Do they have travelers on Millenium?

Teerick, we are seeing enough breakthrough cases now to make me think that a significant percent of vaccinated persons can get enough of an infection with Delta to transmit. Significant illness is rare in these breakthroughs, but the sniffles or a bad cold may not be.

I guess it doesn’t make a lot of sense to me with all these protocols in place, to take people off.  I know why they are doing that, they don’t want to be responsible, and right now particularly, there is 0 tolerance for a positive test, but I’m afraid cruises will start seeing a lot more positive tests with minor illness in vaccinated persons and if they want to keep cruising they are going to have to come up with some sort of middle ground for this situation.

Good comments.  Thank you.

The circumstances of the positive test on Millennium have not been reported yet.  Why were they even screened?  Were they sick and volunteered to be tested?  In general we need to as a partially vaccinated society move away from the focus on positive tests and even mild cases.  This virus or versions will be with us for many years.  

4 minutes ago, Pickels said:

BOTTOM LINE:  with all these issues that are developing; we're holding off cruising until 2022!

Why do you think the issues will be any different in 2022?  The virus will still be around.  A lot of people will still refuse to be vaccinated.  Probably 2023 as well.  We need to just learn to live with this as a part of normal life.  You are protected from most bad outcomes by being vaccinated.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The article said they went home by air ambulance,so possibly they were pretty sick and that is why they were tested in the first place. I thought I had read a while back that a person who tested positive and had no serious symptoms  would be kept in quarantine  in a special room in the medical unit. Wonder if this is the case???