PASSPORT EMERGENCY 🤬😡

Penguin11

15 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

If it's all they have then why not? I'd rather show up with that then with nothing. Before we got passports we always brought the marriage license but were never asked for it. Can they ask for it? Yes. Will they? That's a big maybe and it doesn't appear to happen very often at all. 

OP if you want to remove all angst and live near a passport issuing agency (a facility run by the State Department) you could make an appointment and have a faster turnaround time since the passport is produced on site. It will cost more, but nowhere near $799.

Would you really want to count on it? As you pointed out there are other alternatives to getting the proof.

It would seem to me that the easiest alternative would be to get a duplicate of the marriage license.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Would you really want to count on it? As you pointed out there are other alternatives to getting the proof.

It would seem to me that the easiest alternative would be to get a duplicate of the marriage license.

Yes that would be the alternative but failing that (for whatever reason) would you choose to not show up at the pier at all or would you show up and hope for the best? 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, anasmom02 said:

The state dept recieved my expired passport and money on 6/23 and I had them both back by 7/18 so the 18 weeks are not entirely true at least in my recent experience

I believe that's an example of location.

I live in Florida, the Southern District and Miami is our local office (I live Cape Canaveral). Everything is processed in districts, just like the federal court system. Your district is likely softer, while coastal ones are busier

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

If it's all they have then why not? I'd rather show up with that then with nothing. Before we got passports we always brought the marriage license but were never asked for it. Can they ask for it? Yes. Will they? That's a big maybe and it doesn't appear to happen very often at all. 

OP if you want to remove all angst and live near a passport issuing agency (a facility run by the State Department) you could make an appointment and have a faster turnaround time since the passport is produced on site. It will cost more, but nowhere near $799.

I doubt very much they could get an appointment for a cruise. That wouldn't be considered "urgent" travel. 

• Like 1

I sent mine by mail April 16, it arrived July 21. My son had to renew in person, appt was June 3 (took nearly 2 months to get that appt), his arrived July 17. They are delayed but not as much anymore. And if you want to go in person they are no longer accepting appointments online. I know passports aren't required on closed loop, but it is a comforting feeling to travel with it

I started the renewal process in November and mailed the passport certified mail. I tracked the mail and it disappeared in Mobile, AL. I checked several more weeks and it did not leave Mobile. I went to the Post Office and asked them if they could track the letter. Their results were the same. With that, I reported the passport lost and filed for a new passport. I received the replacement passport before Christmas. In late January the Passport Office wrote me a letter indicating that my passport renewal check bounced. They had finally received the original passport I mailed in November and reported lost. Main point is track your passport when you mail it.

21 minutes ago, babygrljaz said:

They won't, I tried

It will undoubtedly vary by location. Such appointments are given at the passport agency near our house (if they didn't they wouldn't have enough work to justify their existence).

Our passports expired in June.  I was dragging my feet (not sure why) but then I heard about the delay in getting them back.  Ended up costing me a lot more money so they could be expedited... lol.  Anyway, I sent our passort renewal info in on 7/15.  I checked today and they say they are in process as of 7/20.  I also sent off for a new birth certificate (mine is so old its falling apart).  So, if by chance my passport doesn't make it, I will have my BC, my marriage certificate and my DL.  I will be good to go!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Yes that would be the alternative but failing that (for whatever reason) would you choose to not show up at the  pier at all or would you show up and hope for the best? 

There are too many variables for me to answer that. How much would transportation to the pier cost knowing we might not be able to cruise? Could we have our cruise payment transferred with no penalty to a later date by which time the passport should arrive?

And what problem do you foresee in getting the duplicate marriage certificate which we both agree is the best alternative?

3 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

There are too many variables for me to answer that. How much would transportation to the pier cost knowing we might not be able to cruise? Could we have our cruise payment transferred with no penalty to a later date by which time the passport should arrive?

And what problem do you foresee in getting the duplicate marriage certificate which we both agree is the best alternative?

Murphy's law and I don't know how long it takes the government agency where OP lives to issue those types of documents. I know that I would feel fully comfortable going to the port with the birth certificate and drivers license. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Penguin11 said:

Crisis averted. Got the copy of the Marriage license. Printer server was down. They will call me when it’s ready to be picked up.

Great to hear!  Happy sailing

3 hours ago, Penguin11 said:

Crisis averted. Got the copy of the Marriage license. Printer server was down. They will call me when it’s ready to be picked up.

Great that the easiest solution proved to be a winner. Enjoy your cruise.

On 7/27/2021 at 7:40 AM, EngIceDave said:

I believe that's an example of location.

I live in Florida, the Southern District and Miami is our local office (I live Cape Canaveral). Everything is processed in districts, just like the federal court system. Your district is likely softer, while coastal ones are busier

That is not how the State Department processes passports.  There are 2 passport mail facilities located in Texas and Pennsylvania (where you submit your application based on your residence) that accept them and then the processing is distributed to various passport agencies based on their workload.  I renewed my passport in late January.  For my residence location (Florida) I was instructed to mail the renewal application and expiring passport to a facility in Texas.  From there it was sent to an office in Arizona for processing and returned to me.  The old passport was returned to me from an office in Louisiana. 

On 7/27/2021 at 9:06 AM, babygrljaz said:

I sent mine by mail April 16, it arrived July 21. My son had to renew in person, appt was June 3 (took nearly 2 months to get that appt), his arrived July 17. They are delayed but not as much anymore. And if you want to go in person they are no longer accepting appointments online. I know passports aren't required on closed loop, but it is a comforting feeling to travel with it

Where I live, walk ins are not allowed, an appointment is needed, I just checked our closest agency and there are only appointments open on 8/26.

First, apply for a passport renewal.   Then, during  the next 4 months or so surprise your wife with some closed loop cruises. Replace the old passports with the new ones when they finally arrive.  She will be none the wiser!  So, what's the problem! 😇  

• Like 1

On 7/26/2021 at 6:42 PM, Penguin11 said:

Found the birth certificate. Just need a copy of the marriage license. Unfortunately it was destroyed years ago by water damage. Never had a need to replace it. 

Make sure they are government-issued birth certificates and not just the kind from the hospital. 

7 hours ago, dobiemom said:

Make sure they are government-issued birth certificates and not just the kind from the hospital. 

Yes, DW found that out the hard way once. Her mother had cleaned up and sent her the hospital certificate and disposed of the official one. DW had to apply for a duplicate to successfully obtain a passport.

• Like 1