Anybody else tired of the 70's disco party?

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Very few artists never sold out.If you were to google wealthiest rock singers you might be surprised.

Indeed. If they never "sold out" (a term I really do abhor), we likely never would have heard of them. 

On 7/29/2021 at 6:50 PM, Cherries Jubilee said:

I think this is the best suggestion. I can just skip the 70’s party. I don’t understand why they don’t add other eras to please the masses.

Honestly I haven’t even cruised as much as most of you but a LOT of the cruise ship entertainment needs a refresh. They should offer new things here and there to see if there is any interest and keep the events that are well attended. 

It still beats most all inclusive resorts though. One of the best parts of the cruise experience is that they are at least trying to give us things to do.

I actually work in the Recreation industry in a nursing home, you'd be surprised at how hard it is to offer programs to please everyone.  On a ship, it's even harder as the clientele is changing every week, verses in a nursing home where we have the same clientele everyday.  With that said, you have to offer a variety of activities while understanding that some may just bomb.  That's why I suggested a "Dance Through The Decades" theme, they could keep the themes that do well and nix the ones that don't.

They could also bring things back too, like "Tropical Night".  Many of the newer cruisers may not have experienced events like that, and it may be a welcome change for those of us that are more seasoned.

I also get a lot of my ideas for my residents based on current events.  They could have Oscar night for the Academy Awards, for example, where people are encouraged to dress like Hollywood actors.  They could even have trivia to go along with it, and play music throughout the ship from Oscar winning movies.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

I actually work in the Recreation industry in a nursing home, you'd be surprised at how hard it is to offer programs to please everyone. 

First off, I want to say "bless you"!  I'm an RN who has often worked with the elderly, and my hat is off to folks like you!

With that being said, maybe your residents would enjoy the old "horse racing" that used to take place on cruise ships... gosh, back in the 80s is when I remember it, not sure when it was eliminated.  Maybe work it into a Kentucky Derby theme next year?  I remember great fun was had by all, people who "owned" a horse and decorated it and took it everywhere with them during the cruise, and the Big Race at the end of the week up on the pool deck with everyone laughing and cheering and placing their bets.  (You can roll dice or spin a wheel for spaces for each horse to advance.)  The camaraderie and competitiveness was so fun!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

There is a difference between helping a guest in case of an emergency to selling $10 tee shirts .

No, I was referring to muster drill then expanded to say they could pick up extra work if they wanted. 

3 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

I actually work in the Recreation industry in a nursing home, you'd be surprised at how hard it is to offer programs to please everyone.  On a ship, it's even harder as the clientele is changing every week, verses in a nursing home where we have the same clientele everyday.  With that said, you have to offer a variety of activities while understanding that some may just bomb.  That's why I suggested a "Dance Through The Decades" theme, they could keep the themes that do well and nix the ones that don't.

They could also bring things back too, like "Tropical Night".  Many of the newer cruisers may not have experienced events like that, and it may be a welcome change for those of us that are more seasoned.

I also get a lot of my ideas for my residents based on current events.  They could have Oscar night for the Academy Awards, for example, where people are encouraged to dress like Hollywood actors.  They could even have trivia to go along with it, and play music throughout the ship from Oscar winning movies.  

I’m not surprised. It’s impossible to please everyone and a lot of people also don’t like change. That’s why I’m willing to just skip any event I don’t love. I don’t want them to get rid of anything that still gets people moving.  I like your idea too!

12 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Good singers and musical talents would usually do one show as guest performers and leave the ship at the next port of call. No six month contract to stay on ship.

A buddy of mine and his wife did that routine.

She is a singer and he was the groups road manager/sound person.

They would leave on one ship, perform, get off that ship onto another one, sail, perform, get off, repeat.

Some times they would be flown to meet a ship or flown home.

They did it for something like 7 years.   And headliners get a quest cabin, but are also allowed in the crew areas.

A bit of trivia.

The Village People released their first album without a group.

The first album was on the lead singer.  It was so popular, they had to hire the rest of the group to go on tour.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cigar King said:

No 8-Tracks?  You're a poser.

I never had an 8 track.I only have a cassette player because a singer named Allen Rose recorded a song that I wrote and and I only have it on cassette.It is not one song on the cassette.He released an album of songs written by many people .

I went to a car show this morning. They played 50's, 60's and 70's music. No disco. 👍Right on! 👍👍 Now I'm in the mood for 'burgers, fries and a shake/malt. So that's what were going to have tonight when we do our Saturday night date night. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

I had some of the best times in high school with an 8-track player.  Friend had one in a Pontiac Catalina convertible.  Sweet.  Queen, Stones, Nugent.  Just played on and on, toss them in the back seat when we wanted something new.  Covered in crap, they never broke.  How cool were we?  🙂

2 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Came in red and took up half the storage space next to driver seat.

And you needed a book of matches to wedge the tape into the slot so it would line up correctly.  Good times

9 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

I had some of the best times in high school with an 8-track player.  Friend had one in a Pontiac Catalina convertible.  Sweet.  Queen, Stones, Nugent.  Just played on and on, toss them in the back seat when we wanted something new.  Covered in crap, they never broke.  How cool were we?  🙂

I remember them breaking. Almost impossible to fix since the tape was a continuous loop.

Cassettes could be fixed with a pencil