Antigen tests

mgmigs

Just as an FYI, CVS has PRC testing.  I went for a test a couple of weeks ago after my last EDGE disembarkation. No reason out of just being cautious.  I actually did it on the Suday after disembarkation (on Saturday).  I had results by Monday, or about 24 hours.  Don’t know if they’re sending them to labs locally or not, but I thought that was fast turnaround.  It was negative.  

I had to pre-register.  They asked for my Medicare Card at that time.  No charge.  Matter of fact, the nurse who gave me my “kit” said I could get tested once/day and it would be covered.

Drive up test.  You stay in your car.  You get the swab, stick it up into your nasal cavity until you think you’ll sneeze it out (gross, I know).  Twist it around for 2-3 seconds, then do the other nostril the same way.  Drop it in a little test tube, and then put it in a packet with your ID info, drop all that in a little metal box by the drive through.  Then, they email the results.

Do I worry that doing this next week for my upcoming cruise will be as timely?  I do.  But, figuring I can cut it close and get the test 72 hours out.  If I don’t get results within my 48 hour cancellation window, I just cancel the cruise per Celebrity’s policy!

Why not to make things easier instead of making it more difficult, even for foreigners, I suggest that X install a laboratory in the terminal and that we pay for the test, or that the insurance be applied for American residents.

Edited by gerelmx
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, gerelmx said:

Why not to make things easier instead of making it more difficult, even for foreigners, I suggest that X install a laboratory in the terminal and that we pay for the test, or that the insurance be applied for American residents.

I agree.  Then everyone would also know they are getting the "right" test. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, gerelmx said:

Several other cruise lines are doing this here in the U.K. but it is creating massive queues at the terminal and long delays for boarding. People are waiting for hours in the sun with no facilities for a test then a result. 

It is also leaving people in the position that they have travelled and then if they get a positive test they can’t travel home on any form of public transport and hotels are not keen on accepting them either!

Celebrity guests get their test and result before sailing date so boarding is seamless by comparison.

15 minutes ago, cruisewiththekids said:

I would rather not be tested at the cruise terminal.    Since I need to fly to the port, I want to know before I leave home I have a negative test so I won't be stuck at the port with a positive test.  Can't board and can't fly home.

I agree.

Tests can be done anywhere.  Results can be sent to you anywhere you are.

If I have test results (negative) in hand, I'll know before I even leave home whether I'm sailing or not based on my test results.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Harrylinden said:

I wonder if the one we can buy at Sams Club would be accepted? Seems like a lot of extra money for people to spend going to the Urgent Care place's! 100.00 to 150.00 per person is a lots of money to spend.I personally think the cruiselines should pay for people to get tested! JMO

On the FAQ on the X site it says at home tests are unacceptable. 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/faqs

9 minutes ago, cruisewiththekids said:

I'm hoping there is some confirmation forthcoming if the Walgreens rapid IDNow test is an acceptable test.

Rapid ID is not a pcr nor is it an antigen test 

2 minutes ago, markeb said:

Not necessarily. The IDNow isn’t. 

OK...maybe it's region specific.  I know the one near me states theirs is a PCR test.  Actually, they state it's a "QUEST SARS-COV-2 RNA, QL NAAT,RT PCR/TMA (COVID 19)" test.

18 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

OK...maybe it's region specific.  I know the one near me states theirs is a PCR test.  Actually, they state it's a "QUEST SARS-COV-2 RNA, QL NAAT,RT PCR/TMA (COVID 19)" test.

It actually seems to vary by location. There are up to 3 different tests available from Walgreens near me, including the IDNow. But each location offers different combinations. And you’re seeing more specificity in test type than I see. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, markeb said:

It actually seems to vary by location. There are up to 3 different tests available from Walgreens near me, including the IDNow. But each location offers different combinations. And you’re seeing more specificity in test type than I see. 

Yeah....I can see where different areas are doing different types of testing.  I was quite surprised by the specificity of the one near me about what they test for.  

Edited by graphicguy

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

I agree.

Tests can be done anywhere.  Results can be sent to you anywhere you are.

If I have test results (negative) in hand, I'll know before I even leave home whether I'm sailing or not based on my test results.

That works if you are heading directly to the ship or within one day or so.  I will have a test before I fly to enter the US, but after five days in FLL I will need another test within that timeframe to board the ship (i.e. 72 hours ahead).

9 minutes ago, Josie201 said:

That works if you are heading directly to the ship or within one day or so.  I will have a test before I fly to enter the US, but after five days in FLL I will need another test within that timeframe to board the ship (i.e. 72 hours ahead).

If you're going to spend 5 days in FL, you'll be able to find a convenient pharmacy (two of the biggest in the U.S. are CVS and Walgreens, which are similar to Shoppers Drug Mart and PharmaPlus) which should be able to accommodate getting testing done for you.

The question is, who will pay for it.  Being from Canada, I don't know that they have any reciprocity with your insurance carriers.  You may have to come out of pocket.  I don't know anyone who has had a test who had to pay for it.  But, those were tests administered a year ago.  

Just looking at some data around me, I've seen some prices around $100-$150 for testing.  Again, don't know if that's something that is supplemented by insurance or not, though.

Our (U.S.) Medicare covers the entire cost for those who qualify.

Here's a Walgreens which should be close...

Walgreens - Store #7125

1680 SE 17TH ST

Ft Lauderdale, FL 33316

Cross streets: Southwest corner OF EISENHOWER BLVD & 17TH ST

954-467-5448 is not actionable to desktop users since it is disabled

Store & Shopping

Open until 12am

Every day

7am – 12am

Pickup available Details

Curbside, drive-thru or in store

Same Day Delivery available Details

Edited by graphicguy

10 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Yeah....I can see where different areas are doing different types of testing.  I was quite surprised by the specificity of the one near me about what they test for.  

If you don’t mind, Which location in Cincy did you see that at? I also live in Cincy and leave on the Edge on the 14th.

Thanks,

Dan

8 minutes ago, Josie201 said:

You've got a tough one there.  Perhaps if there is a concierge where you are staying they could help.  Good luck.

4 minutes ago, dalemon42 said:

If you don’t mind, Which location in Cincy did you see that at? I also live in Cincy and leave on the Edge on the 14th.

Thanks,

Dan

Two of them......both on State Route 127 in Butler County!

17 hours ago, mgmigs said:

I am on phone with celebrity now, I asked for a supervisor by I am being told pcr is the only test they will accept…….  The closest antigen test available to be is in a different state. 

sup says for my sailing pcr or antigen needed. If we don’t get antigen in time for sailing we can’t get on ship

Why are you so focused on getting an antigen test? Why not get a PCR. Those seem to be widely available. I've had several people at work get tested recently and results were back in 1 day or so

• Like 1