New RSSC Ticket Contract Section 5: Public Health

mdunne48

Everyone going or planning to go on a Regent Cruise in the near future should carefully read section 5 of the new RSSC Ticket Contract concerning Public Health.  This section details what Regent “may or will” require of its passengers during a voyage.  This includes mandatory masking in all public areas on board ship.  Plus there is a laundry list of other items that you might encounter while on board. 

"mdunne48" - I completely agree (with you) that Regent "holds all the cards".  I suppose they always have, but in this new "Covid age",  There seems to be a lot more possible "pop up issues and circumstances" that could arise, which all of us have never considered were "too likely to ever happen" in the past.  And I don't think Regent can/has fully thought them all out, either.

We do know for certain, that the company lawyers' primary focus is directed towards protecting Regent's interests first, and not necessarily the customer's.

• Like 1

I am still intrigued by the little "exceptions" clause. Non vaccinated is non vaccinated. How does religion get to play a part in this? Wouldn't asking for details about one's religion fall into a grey zone? These exemptions should be retracted as it isn't fair to all the people who are so onboard to do the right thing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I presume that this new contract is retroactive to future cruise bookings?  Where would we read this?

That was my question as well.  If you accept the new ticket contract, definitely.  If you booked under the old one, however, not sure.  Since you cannot do the other things on the new on-line check-in until 21 days before a cruise, would it be prudent to hold off accepting the new ticket contract until that date--when you might be more confident on what you are accepting from Regent in terms of itinerary and conditions?

I am reposting this because there are two topics on the same issue…..

We were scheduled to sail on Celebrity Edge Saturday August 7th. On July 30th, we were advised that we will need the results of a covid test, taken within 72 hours of boarding, due to seven cases of Covid onboard that week.  
Not a major problem to get the testing. We were able to schedule test at a local CVS. 
Here are the facts:

However, in the same timeframe, we were advised by our community.. an over 55 community in Palm Beach County Florida … of new, additional Covid infected people here. This  number has reached more than 20 in just two weeks. All were vaccinated and two were hospitalized.  I have health issues and was advised that it would not be smart to sail at this time. 
Florida is now a hotbed for Covid. Largest number of hospitalizations since Covid began. Check the data. 
We contacted Celebrity to cancel and were advised we would get a full refund of our monies.
Also, if anyone sailed and became infected onboard, they would be taken  to a private plane and returned to their home, at Celebrity’s expense. 
They are to be commended for this decision. 
We decided to cancel.

Celebrity Cruises stepped up to the plate. I hope that Regent will offer such courtesies. 
Sheila and Herb

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

I am reposting this because there are two topics on the same issue…..

We were scheduled to sail on Celebrity Edge Saturday August 7th. On July 30th, we were advised that we will need the results of a covid test, taken within 72 hours of boarding, due to seven cases of Covid onboard that week.  
Not a major problem to get the testing. We were able to schedule test at a local CVS. 
Here are the facts:

However, in the same timeframe, we were advised by our community.. an over 55 community in Palm Beach County Florida … of new, additional Covid infected people here. This  number has reached more than 20 in just two weeks. All were vaccinated and two were hospitalized.  I have health issues and was advised that it would not be smart to sail at this time. 
Florida is now a hotbed for Covid. Largest number of hospitalizations since Covid began. Check the data. 
We contacted Celebrity to cancel and were advised we would get a full refund of our monies.
Also, if anyone sailed and became infected onboard, they would be taken  to a private plane and returned to their home, at Celebrity’s expense. 
They are to be commended for this decision. 
We decided to cancel.

Celebrity Cruises stepped up to the plate. I hope that Regent will offer such courtesies. 
Sheila and Herb

Good info to know- thank you and stay healthy!!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I presume that this new contract is retroactive to future cruise bookings?  Where would we read this?

Believe the right answer is that unless or until you attest to accepting the new Terms and Conditions you are covered by the old ones.  However the catch is that if you don't attest and sign acceptance of the new Terms and Conditions you will not have completed the pre-check in and thus not be able to board and cruise.

A clever lawyer way to force people to accept the new Terms and Conditions.  To precisely answer your question,  not retroactive but, applicable to those attesting and signing their acceptance.   A Contract cannot be changed without the agreement of both parties and the attesting and signing is the cruisers agreement.

• Thanks 1

Traveling during Covid doesn’t seem to be for the faint hearted. We are prepared for some twists and turns.

However, I find it disingenuous for them to do this contract change this way, without any prior notice to existing reservations.  Although I know have to sign to sail, I am still quite annoyed. 

The online contract states it is the full and complete agreement between the parties. I called my TA and had her check with Regent about the “Regent Reassurance” program, which is not mentioned anywhere in the document. They verbally “assured” us of course that it remains in effect. Not particularly “reassuring” in my opinion. 

We are covered financially elsewhere for this cruise, (except for being sent home) and have decided to sign despite this omission.

It’s our first experience as I’ve mentioned, and this is the second of two head shaking moments. The first was the very long delay in cabin assignments after the ship was switched which lasted well after the date announced.

Edited by Pudgesmom
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pudgesmom said:

However, I find it disingenuous for them to do this contract change this way, without any prior notice to existing reservations.  Although I know have to sign to sail, I am still quite annoyed

Yes, not sending the change to booked people to let them make their decision at their leisure before penalties kick in or increased rather than having many people surprised by this Contract Change or like many people not reading the significant changes they are agreeing to only a few weeks prior to their cruise when for sure in the 100% penalty phase is extremely disingenuous.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pudgesmom said:

Traveling during Covid doesn’t seem to be for the faint hearted. We are prepared for some twists and turns.

However, I find it disingenuous for them to do this contract change this way, without any prior notice to existing reservations.  Although I know have to sign to sail, I am still quite annoyed. 

The online contract states it is the full and complete agreement between the parties. I called my TA and had her check with Regent about the “Regent Reassurance” program, which is not mentioned anywhere in the document. They verbally “assured” us of course that it remains in effect. Not particularly “reassuring” in my opinion. 

We are covered financially elsewhere for this cruise, (except for being sent home) and have decided to sign despite this omission.

It’s our first experience as I’ve mentioned, and this is the second of two head shaking moments. The first was the very long delay in cabin assignments after the ship was switched which lasted well after the date announced.

We seem to be on the same thought pattern.  I am feeling less and less reassured as the days go by.  We have also had some similar head shaking moments including this unsettling contract change, the stated difference in final payment date (our group booking states it has been extended to Sept. 7th but my Regent account and the customer service rep that I spoke with yesterday state August 11th) and our cabin still has not been assigned since our ship was switched in May.  For some reason, Regent has changed our booking to a guarantee booking and we may not know until we board what cabin we will be in.  Really not sounding like "The World's Most Luxurious Fleet" is putting much effort into easing the nerves of their potential guests.

• Like 4

I would wonder if the age of their passengers (being much older: 50-60+) played a role in Regent's position; considering what they require to sail and what they will do to you if you get sick or are not able to continue to travel due to positive test, or some other exposure that would make an older passenger more vulnerable than one who is much younger.

The Ts & Cs I got yesterday seem reasonable to me except I have never seen a contract that pointed to the web page that takes precedent over the Ts & Cs if the two don't match.  I understand this to mean the web page can get updated at any time and is part of the contract by the way it is referenced here.

We are still going ahead with this cruise and will make sure we have travel insurance that will get us home if there is an issue.

5 minutes ago, cruiseluv said:

Is there anything to keep Regent from changing their T&C up to the time of boarding? Since all the Covid restrictions seem to change by the day , I cant believe Regent hasnt left plenty wiggle room to amend as needed

The T's and C's have always allowed for changes at anytime so no change to that issue and  changes can occur at any time.

I'm reading it now, and here are some relevant portions that concern me.  Note that this first one only says that masks may be required, but I'm hoping for sure that by next summer this isn't true (emphasis mine):

"d. COVID-19 Policies and Procedures. You acknowledge that our COVID-19 Policies and Procedures may or will include (but are not be limited to): (1) completion of an accurate, truthful and complete health questionnaire in a form and containing any health or travel-related questions as determined by Us in our sole discretion based on advice from cognizant government or health authorities or medical experts for each Passenger prior to boarding; (2) pre-embarkation and/or periodic testing and temperature checks of each Guest followed by a period of isolation until test results are available; (3) modified capacity rules for activities (including but not limited to restaurants, gyms, and entertainment events onboard and for shore excursions) which may limit or eliminate the ability of any Guest to participate in particular activities; (4) mandatory use by each Guest of face coverings in most locations outside of the Guest's cabin while onboard, during embarkation, disembarkation and shore excursions; (5) mandatory social distancing and/or cohorting of Guests at any/all times while on board and during embarkation, disembarkation, and shore excursions; (6) additional restrictions during shore excursions depending on local conditions, including but not limited to denial of disembarkation at destinations unless participating in only Carrier-approved shore excursions; (7) mandatory hand-sanitizing by Guest upon entry or exit of any public areas; (8) confinement of Guests to cabins, quarantine or emergency disembarkation of Guests if, in Our sole discretion, such steps are necessary to prevent or slow the spread of COVID-19; (9) the required completion by Guest in a timely manner of any written authorizations or consent forms required for Us to carry out Our COVID-19 Policies and Procedures (including but not limited to medical information, medical privacy, or personal data privacy consent forms), and; (10) other policies and procedures deemed by Us in Our sole discretion to be necessary to reduce the risk of spread of COVID-19."

And this seems to say they certainly won't fly you home at their expense if you test positive:

"... if You have a known or suspected case of infection with COVID-19 and You are disembarked, refused re-boarding, or quarantined, You shall be entitled to a prorated future cruise credit for the unused portion of the Cruise Fare or if required by law, a prorated refund for the unused portion of the Cruise Fare. You are responsible for all other related costs and fines, including without limitation travel expense. Under no circumstances shall We be liable to You for any other costs, damages or expenses whatsoever incurred by You."

No mention of Regent Reassurance, although that page clearly states what cruises are covered by this, so I'm not too concerned with that.

10 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I am kind of worried about clicking "accept" and then finding out later that this has been changed.

Perhaps the change just too new, but I am very disappointed that we haven't been notified of this new requirement by email, either directly or from my TA.

Wendy, I agree; I am going to wait until the last minute to "attest;" especially as my next cruise leaves from Florida.

16 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I am kind of worried about clicking "accept" and then finding out later that this has been changed.

4 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Wendy, I agree; I am going to wait until the last minute to "attest;"

.................... or is it better to accept the contract now (and take a copy), before any further changes?

Probably all academic in reality. What will be, will be.

21 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Don't believe there can be changes after you accept unless they are presented to you and you again accept.

Regarding waiting to accept/attest, there are positives and negatives to that wait and they all revolve around the T's and C's becoming more or less restrictive.  Signing now and the T's and C's getting less restrictive would be a negative to the cruiser while the reverse would be a positive.

Do expect that any changes would be provided prior to the cruise and require another attest/accept so waiting or not waiting would be a non-issue. 

I have decided to wait a bit until I click "Accept" on the Ticket Contract. Besides my cruise is a year away, it can wait. Likely my Regent Consultant will call me before final payment is due with any emerging changes, as she has always done.

7 hours ago, rallydave said:

Don't believe there can be changes after you accept unless they are presented to you and you again accept.

Regarding waiting to accept/attest, there are positives and negatives to that wait and they all revolve around the T's and C's becoming more or less restrictive.  Signing now and the T's and C's getting less restrictive would be a negative to the cruiser while the reverse would be a positive.

Do expect that any changes would be provided prior to the cruise and require another attest/accept so waiting or not waiting would be a non-issue. 

I have actually seen situations where circumstances required accepting a newer agreement than the one you signed previously.