Onboard Mardi Gras Now & they are having some challenges

Oldsweets

3 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

No refund to be given.  Cucina del Capitano is currently free on the Mardi Gras.

Really?  I didn’t know that. 
Ive always seen it as a specialty restaurant. 
Maybe that’s why some of these specialty restaurants are temporarily free, because of these “hiccups.”  

2 minutes ago, audcc77 said:

Really?  I didn’t know that. 
Ive always seen it as a specialty restaurant. 
Maybe that’s why some of these specialty restaurants are temporarily free, because of these “hiccups.”  

They are on mardi gras who made 3 pay restaurants free. Culcina was one, the one with the ribs and bbq and the new one with mexican and some kind or oriental selections. Chi bang.

• Like 2

The confusing thing to me is I've heard John say Cucina is an extension of YTD. And I want to say he showed someone eating lobster the the smokehouse on elegant night. Does that mean I can't go to Cucina and order Italian because it's filled with YTD people? Or are they doing both?

4 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

The confusing thing to me is I've heard John say Cucina is an extension of YTD. And I want to say he showed someone eating lobster the the smokehouse on elegant night. Does that mean I can't go to Cucina and order Italian because it's filled with YTD people? Or are they doing both?

It is still Cucina but you are able to have your lobster on elegant night there as well. 

7 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Both….you can order Italian like always but also they have the MDR menu for those who want to order something else 

Just now, Saint Greg said:

It sounds like either the dining room isn't big enough or they need to make half of the other dining room YTD. What's it going to be like when they're running at 100%?

From a lot of the photos the Upstairs part of the Dining room isn't being used for some reason? 

3 minutes ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

From a lot of the photos the Upstairs part of the Dining room isn't being used for some reason? 

That would explain it. Maybe a staffing issue. I'm guessing that's just YTD because it looked like JH was on the second floor of the assigned dining room tonight which was in use but looked half full or less.

Edited by Saint Greg

ParoDeeJay have videos on YouTube from the Mardi Gras. They are doing B2B. They may answer some of the questions people have here. They are very good about being honest about things on the ship. And some little tips and tricks onboard.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, CruisingFromLA said:

On board now, and my husband has been pissed every night for dinner. I have to keep reminding him it's only night 1, night 2, now night 3 so far and the staff is still learning. He is trying to be understanding, but it's getting hard for him as each night didn't seem to get better. 

For example, we ate at Cucina del Capitano today for dinner. Started off well, as they came and gave our party bread and took our drink order within 2 minutes of sitting down. I received my cocktail within 10 minutes after ordering. My husband had to ask 3 additional times before he got his glass of wine 70 minutes later. Appetizers came within 10 minutes after placing our food order. Then we waited over an hour to get our entrees. 3 out of 4 of us got our entrees at the same time, which were all cold. My husband didn't get his entree until 30 minutes after ours. Dessert took another 20 minutes after clearing our entree plates. Oh our ice creams for dinner every night has always been melted and soupy, which is disappointing.

Not complaining, just noting our experience so far. 

Deleted

Edited by coffeebean

21 minutes ago, lobster1313 said:

There's no separation on Carnival for unvaccinated. 

By default, I think people are mixed, but if vaccinated really, really want to be isolated, I think there is some seating reserved for that purpose.

Great info. We are usually grab and go people, even for dinner, but I thought maybe we’d do a bunch of specialty dinners next week with so many options. Rethinking now.  ParoDeeJay posted a decidedly lukewarm review of Chibang today. Not quite getting this Cucina is an extension of YTD, which we have. We like to eat early; if all else fails we’re happy with a Guy’s burger or whatever is at the Marketplace. 

I can be fairly patient but I don’t love wasted time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Great info. We are usually grab and go people, even for dinner, but I thought maybe we’d do a bunch of specialty dinners next week with so many options. Rethinking now.  ParoDeeJay posted a decidedly lukewarm review of Chibang today. Not quite getting this Cucina is an extension of YTD, which we have. We like to eat early; if all else fails we’re happy with a Guy’s burger or whatever is at the Marketplace. 

I can be fairly patient but I don’t love wasted time.

I saw that a lot of people on this sailing were not impressed with Chibang. Seems like the expectations were high but the actual food was a letdown. I'm going to try it but probably only once because it's free.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

The only unvaccinated are children aged 11 and under. No separation.

Unless MG is sailing with different parameters than other ships, there have been a couple of threads here that have confirmed a few adults with exemptions.

5 minutes ago, sailingships said:

I thought there was. Dont they have a separate seating area in the MDR? And separate seating at the events they are allowed to attend?

Not on Carnival 

4 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

The only unvaccinated are children aged 11 and under. No separation.

There are also unvaccinated adults sailing. I had 4 in front of me in the exemption line and 2 behind me.  There were also a few that posted on the roll call that I saw on the Horizon.

36 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

ParoDeeJay posted a decidedly lukewarm review of Chibang today. Not quite getting this Cucina is an extension of YTD, which we have. 

At both Cucina as well as Chibang, you have the option to order anything that is on the MDR menu in addition to the regular stuff on the respective menus of Cucina and Chibang.  Paradeejay showed this when they were scrolling through the menu at Chibang from the HUB app from Mondays dinner.  The place was packed, the portions were small and it took them 2 hours to eat.

When we have visited Cucina in the past on two cruises on the Horizon and one on the Breeze, we paid the 12 (2013) and 15 up charge, got in and out in 75-90 minutes and had more food than we could eat.

What is going on now is unacceptable to me and if I was on board I would adjust my dinner schedule and go as soon as they open to hopefully get in and out in 90 minutes. 

I am hoping that they get their groove within three months since we will be sailing her on Halloween. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ScottsSweetie said:

Unless MG is sailing with different parameters than other ships, there have been a couple of threads here that have confirmed a few adults with exemptions.

That decision gives Carnival a major black eye, in my opinion.   Why would they deny children, who can't get vaccinated and allow adults who willingly said no to getting the jab?  And I don't want to hear the BS excuse about religious or medical reasons.  Those people can stay home as far as I am concerned until this thing is in our rear view mirror.

Edit...Carnival calls themselves a family cruise line and it's not right to deny children with their prospective families and allow adults who willingly refused the jab.

Edited by SNJCruisers
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

That decision gives Carnival a major black eye, in my opinion.   Why would they deny children, who can't get vaccinated and allow adults who willingly said no to getting the jab?  And I don't want to hear the BS excuse about religious or medical reasons.  Those people can stay home as far as I am concerned until this thing is in our rear view mirror.

Edit...Carnival calls themselves a family cruise line and it's not right to deny children with their prospective families and allow adults who willingly refused the jab.

Maybe they had to allow some adults exemptions for legal purposes so they could not be accused of age discrimination.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

I believe it is the LAW.

• Like 1