Vista Passenger reporting + covid cases/immediate masking

ScottsSweetie

17 minutes ago, cscurlock said:

I think Carnival thought that if they had the 95% threshold they could let the rules slide with regards to the virus.  If it was the original virus that is probably true.   But as it mutates it becomes a more effective killer and the safeguards you thought were going to work before will not work in the future.  With this variant we are seeing that. 

Carnival didn't let any rules slide. They're following the guidance from the CDC.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tm_aw_love said:

Agree...

Based on the reports that are coming out from the cruise lines, the bulk of the positive tests seem to be in vaccinated individuals. Placing 100% of the blame on the 'unvaccinated kids' seems less likely when you consider that not only are they tested multiple times with different testing methods; but, COVID has an incubation period, meaning that it is likely that the positives onboard were likely 'exposed' pre-cruise.  But it is far easier to blame the kids. 

Yes.  I don't think the airports/flying are doing any favors to the vaccinated as well as the unvaccinated. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Qchell said:

There are still a number of pages to this thread, so it may have been said already, but I totally agree, this is NOT the time to travel without additional travel insurance.  If one is traveling they should look for policies that cover the virus AND allow you to cancel for any reason.  Right now with the world so topsy turvy that little bit extra on the front end could save you a fortune on the back end. 

We just came back from a land vacation in MX.  After getting tested - like buying a lotto ticket - the mind runs amok.  No mas, gracias.

Unvaxxed kids must do a PCR test within 72 hours of cruising, they could easily be negative at the moment of the test or not have developed a high enough viral load to register a positive yet at the time of the test , and be positive with high viral load 3 or 4 days later. The other issue is that some kids can not/will not keep their masks on, their parents either don’t enforce it or they remove them when their parents aren’t watching. And anyone who has ever worked in an early elementary setting knows they’re also often reticent to wash hands or wash them properly. There’s a reason viruses seem to thrive in early school settings.

That said, we also know that vaccinated people can transmit this virus (or this variant of it) It’s quite likely some vaccinated people showed up to cruise, already infected without realizing it, and contributed to viral spread on board.

I do not think children should be cruising at this time. Not only are they potential viral vectors but they have NONE of the protection against serious illness that vaccinated people age 12+ have. 

But eliminating children and requiring 100% vax rates won’t make this go away entirely on cruise ships and it’s setting people up for disappointment if that’s the expectation. There will be positive cases regardless. Testing all guests and requiring masks can help mitigate that but there is no perfect system that will allow cruising and also guarantee 0% Covid infections. It’s a risk we all have to decide is worth taking or not. (I’m personally on the “ready to cruise” list and am hoping all goes according to plan for my November Magic cruise!)

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Tippyton said:

We just came back from a land vacation in MX.  After getting tested - like buying a lotto ticket - the mind runs amok.  No mas, gracias.

Lol....was just talking w/ my BIL yesterday about Cancun AI.  Go down there and they are offering 2 weeks addt'l stay if you test + on the way out....(coincidently, never heard of anyone testing +).  

Perhaps time a Cancun AI to end 3 days prior to our next cruise and essentially guarantee a - test 🙂

Edited by bucfan2

3 minutes ago, gnocchi_mommy said:

Unvaxxed kids must do a PCR test within 72 hours of cruising, they could easily be negative at the moment of the test or not have developed a high enough viral load to register a positive yet at the time of the test , and be positive with high viral load 3 or 4 days later.

they are tested 3 times - within 72 hours of embarkation, at embarkation, and the last day before debarkation.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gnocchi_mommy said:

Unvaxxed kids must do a PCR test within 72 hours of cruising, they could easily be negative at the moment of the test or not have developed a high enough viral load to register a positive yet at the time of the test , and be positive with high viral load 3 or 4 days later. The other issue is that some kids can not/will not keep their masks on, their parents either don’t enforce it or they remove them when their parents aren’t watching. And anyone who has ever worked in an early elementary setting knows they’re also often reticent to wash hands or wash them properly. There’s a reason viruses seem to thrive in early school settings.

That said, we also know that vaccinated people can transmit this virus (or this variant of it) It’s quite likely some vaccinated people showed up to cruise, already infected without realizing it, and contributed to viral spread on board.

I do not think children should be cruising at this time. Not only are they potential viral vectors but they have NONE of the protection against serious illness that vaccinated people age 12+ have. 

But eliminating children and requiring 100% vax rates won’t make this go away entirely on cruise ships and it’s setting people up for disappointment if that’s the expectation. There will be positive cases regardless. Testing all guests and requiring masks can help mitigate that but there is no perfect system that will allow cruising and also guarantee 0% Covid infections. It’s a risk we all have to decide is worth taking or not. (I’m personally on the “ready to cruise” list and am hoping all goes according to plan for my November Magic cruise!)

From the data I've seen, the vaccines are not preventing people from getting the Delta variant or from transmitting it.  It's only really preventing people from getting really sick.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

they are tested 3 times - within 72 hours of embarkation, at embarkation, and the last day before debarkation.

Yes but they may not have the viral rate to test positive before boarding. This may account for one posters experience with her son testing negative prior to boarding but positive prior to debarkation.

Just now, Buckeyefrank100 said:

From the data I've seen, the vaccines are not preventing people from getting the Delta variant or from transmitting it.  It's only really preventing people from getting really sick.

Of course they are. But they are not as effective against Delta. Each variant of interest seems to be increasingly resistant to the vaccine.

If the vaccines didn't work, there would be equal cases among the vaccinated and unvaccinated.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, gnocchi_mommy said:

Up until recently, I would have disagreed with this. Delta has changed my opinion. Prior to Delta, children were very unlikely to be seriously impacted by Covid and didn't seem to be spreaders for reasons still not understood.

Now it seems that children under 12 are significantly effected by the Delta strain. I wouldn't take an unvaccinated child on a cruise. I don't care what the testing and masking procedures are.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, gnocchi_mommy said:

Yes but they may not have the viral rate to test positive before boarding. This may account for one posters experience with her son testing negative prior to boarding but positive prior to debarkation.

It could. Vaccinated people aren't tested at all after boarding, unless symptomatic, so who knows what they develop during the cruise. Staff are routinely tested even though vaccinated.

6 minutes ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

5 minutes ago, gnocchi_mommy said:

Yes that’s what I said…

From personal experience - that's a big 10-4.

Tom

1 minute ago, Brew12 said:

Up until recently, I would have disagreed with this. Delta has changed my opinion. Prior to Delta, children were very unlikely to be seriously impacted by Covid and didn't seem to be spreaders for reasons still not understood.

Now it seems that children under 12 are significantly effected by the Delta strain. I wouldn't take an unvaccinated child on a cruise. I don't care what the testing and masking procedures are.

Children's hospitals are full of kids with covid, some serious.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

4 minutes ago, Brew12 said:

Yes, it’s really sad because the one “positive” we could all say during this was at least kids didn’t seem to have much effects 😞 

(sorry Tom and Cheryl, not sure why that also quoted you, won’t let me delete it)

Edited by gnocchi_mommy
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Of course they are. But they are not as effective against Delta. Each variant of interest seems to be increasingly resistant to the vaccine.

If the vaccines didn't work, there would be equal cases among the vaccinated and unvaccinated.

That would only be the case if every person that contracts the virus was identified, which we all know if false.  Not to mention, I pray we aren't shooting ourselves in the foot with these vaccines.  We may inadvertently be causing the virus to mutate by insisting as many vaccinations as possible so quickly while the virus is spreading.

Edited by Buckeyefrank100
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Thank you.  What I'm seeing on here is the same as I've seen in most reporting.  They are calling this a spike, which is correct but can be misleading.  A 100% increase from 10 cases is 20.  Yes it's a spike, yes it's 100% increase but still not worrisome.  One child suffering is a tragedy but I don't think 135 kids in the hospital in TX is a major health crisis.

Edited by Buckeyefrank100

4 minutes ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

I'm not saying it's impossible but the numbers quoted from the studies showed a reinfection rate with the delta strain to be approx .8% of the cases.... extremely low.

And, up until last week, I was reading that breakthrough cases were no more than .9% among those who were vaccinated.

My wife caught it, and then gave it to me... both vaccinated.... 100% as far as my little world is concerned !

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1