Vista Passenger reporting + covid cases/immediate masking

ScottsSweetie

1 minute ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Yeah, I am going by the facts of the person that is living this from the Breeze. Carnival handed them a list of hotels to call and most numbers have no answer.

I guess you never filed an insurance claim. Good luck with that. They may be contracted to pay you, but there are going to be 1,000s of hoops to jump through, delays, denials, arguments. If you file in 2021, you may settle on 50% of what you are due in 2023.

Yes, I read it as well. Too bad Carnival can’t compile a simple list of hotels with correct phone numbers. They are doing little else to help passengers who test positive. 

Nothing easy or pleasant about filing insurance claims. Lots of documentation and forms required, but it is the only way you have a chance of getting any reimbursement.

11 minutes ago, scendro said:

My husband and I plan to get tested on Friday even if we are asymptomatic just to be cautious.  I learned one person in our excursion to Catalina Island tested positive today.  We all took a bus to the excursion point and many on the bus didn’t wear masks even though all of the islands required masking indoors and on transportation.  

Which ship were you on ? 

10 minutes ago, scendro said:

My husband and I plan to get tested on Friday even if we are asymptomatic just to be cautious.  I learned one person in our excursion to Catalina Island tested positive today.  We all took a bus to the excursion point and many on the bus didn’t wear masks even though all of the islands required masking indoors and on transportation.  

This is why I probably will skip excursions. ♤ 

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

I would bet my house that it started from unvaxxed kids and passed to vaxxed passengers. If there are no symptoms on the vaxxed passengers, there is no need to even test them to find out.

I wouldn't be so quick to make that bet.  I went by a clinic to pick up something from a friend who works there.  I ask her about the antigen test that is now required for cruising.  We go to talking about testing in general and she told me that many of the ones they are testing with positive results are vaccinated individuals.  She also said that in early July her husband, who is vaccinated, started showing some lite symptoms.  It turned out he had Covid and gave it to her and the rest of the  family.  She mentioned working around it for over a year without getting it and then getting it from her vaccinated husband.  Lots of vaccinated people are getting Covid.  I have known several myself, so I certainly wouldn't make that bet.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

You realize that you can test everyone the moment before they step on a ship - and 12 hours later someone can be symptomatic, right? And the experts are calling this a "pandemic of the unvaccinated", right? I wouldn't bet that house so quickly.

Pandemic of the unvaccinated because they are the ones who are suffering the greatest illness.  The vaccinated are being inconvenienced - just as many could foresee when they were being chided and told to stay home if they were afraid. Not afraid of being seriously ill, afraid of major disruptions we are seeing now.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

You realize that you can test everyone the moment before they step on a ship - and 12 hours later someone can be symptomatic, right? And the experts are calling this a "pandemic of the unvaccinated", right? I wouldn't bet that house so quickly.

I do realize that. I'm not saying there is not a chance it came from the kids. I'm saying it is far more likely it came from the 95% who weren't tested. If it as you say and all the kids are the cause what would be easier for Carnival to do... get rid of the 5% exemption or make everyone wear masks and get tested prior to boarding. 

26 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Which ship were you on ? 

Horizon July 24- August 1.  Our Facebook cruise group has posts from at least 10 people that have tested positive since disembarking on Sunday and quite a few more that are waiting on results and or getting tested themselves because they are experiencing symptoms. 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

But......does positive always mean contagious (if vaccinated)? I'm not so sure about that.

Can be yes

At least until your vax antibodies kill the virus.

In that time period between exposure and your body killing that infection, you can test positive.

In that same window, you could infect someone...but it's a small window

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, scendro said:

Horizon July 24- August 1.  Our Facebook cruise group has posts from at least 10 people that have tested positive since disembarking on Sunday and quite a few more that are waiting on results and or getting tested themselves because they are experiencing symptoms. 

Do they mostly have mild symptoms?  All Vaxxed?

13 minutes ago, scendro said:

Part of the problem for the Horizon or any ship sailing from Florida is that passengers are putting themselves at risk for the Delta strain by simply being in the state. It doesn't matter if one is vaccinated or not.

The Delta strain is highly contagious and while the unvaccinated are most at risk of contracting the infection, vaccinated people are now also having breakthrough infections.

Recent reports in medical bulletins have found that vaccinated people who are infected with the Delta strain have viral loads equal to those that are unvaccinated and, therefore, can pass the virus on to others.

Florida is the epicenter for the Delta strain in the US. Infectivity rates are high (my county is at 25.6% today) and we are having new cases in the state diagnosed at the rate of over 20,000 per day (hospitalizations were close to 11,000 today). Any type of mandated public health measures by local governments is illegal.

Unless a passenger voluntarily follows strict quarantine procedures while in the state before boarding such as social distancing, wearing a mask indoors or in crowded outdoor situations, there will be passengers, vaccinated or not, that will board the ship that will be positive for the virus during the cruise.

The required  pre-embarkation testing will weed out those already carrying the virus.  The masking on board ship will help with those who convert to positive on board.

So if anyone is coming to Florida to board a ship, protect yourselves from those who will not take precautions to protect you.

Remember, we are a state that attract those who will come to have a maskless vacation with no thought of the fact that they are contributing to the problem of the spread of the virus.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Babr said:

Pandemic of the unvaccinated because they are the ones who are suffering the greatest illness.  The vaccinated are being inconvenienced - just as many could foresee when they were being chided and told to stay home if they were afraid. Not afraid of being seriously ill, afraid of major disruptions we are seeing now.

Thank you 🙏🏻 yes, not too long ago I was getting heat on here from a lot of people for saying that even though I was vaccinated I would choose to mask up once on board to protect other passengers who could be immune compromised like myself and I was being told that I didn’t trust the vaccine and I should just stay home. I tried to point out that it was still possible to get COVID even vaccinated and that the data was not clear about transmission of covid from a vaccinated person. I took a lot of heat, and yet here we are. I bet the same people giving me crap a couple of months ago are the ones canceling now because they are vaccinated and don’t want to mask up. I on the other hand as well as many others made the decision months ago to take extra mitigation measures despite Carnival not mandating them at the time because I have a responsibility to myself and fellow passengers to try not to have our cruise disrupted. I got a 3rd dose, I have my masks packed, I’m sailing alone, driving to port, been in self isolation (I live alone/work from home), and always planned to social distance once on board as much as humanly possible. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

We were in Florida for a week in July and didn't come back with covid.  We drove out there and spent the majority of time outside.  I think a lot of people are probably getting infected when they are in airports and fly or use public transportation.  Just going to Florida doesn't make you get covid.  The delta variant will run its course everywhere.  Unless travel is halted EVERYWHERE, it's going to happen.  Buckle up and decide your risks.  It's like a wave.  The lockdown places aren't going to be able to keep it out.  It's a virus and will just hit those places eventually.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bdever said:

Thank you 🙏🏻 yes, not too long ago I was getting heat on here from a lot of people for saying that even though I was vaccinated I would choose to mask up once on board to protect other passengers who could be immune compromised like myself and I was being told that I didn’t trust the vaccine and I should just stay home. I tried to point out that it was still possible to get COVID even vaccinated and that the data was not clear about transmission of covid from a vaccinated person. I took a lot of heat, and yet here we are. I bet the same people giving me crap a couple of months ago are the ones canceling now because they are vaccinated and don’t want to mask up. I on the other hand as well as many others made the decision months ago to take extra mitigation measures despite Carnival not mandating them at the time because I have a responsibility to myself and fellow passengers to try not to have our cruise disrupted. I got a 3rd dose, I have my masks packed, I’m sailing alone, driving to port, been in self isolation (I live alone/work from home), and always planned to social distance once on board as much as humanly possible. 

I'm just going to plead with you.... if you don't have N95 masks and can't socially distance, please make sure to double mask. 

You are brave to be traveling right now with an immune system issue, even being vaccinated. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EngIceDave said:

Can be yes

At least until your vax antibodies kill the virus.

In that time period between exposure and your body killing that infection, you can test positive.

In that same window, you could infect someone...but it's a small window

To add to this, even if your body has already killed the virus but your body hasn't cleared it yet, you can still test positive. 

The current rapid tests don't test viability of the virus, only if its genetic material is present. 

• Like 1

I am so very curious about WHY they tested people who were "vaccinated passengers with little or no symptoms."  It would only make sense to test them if they were known exposed to someone else who tested positive.  So, did they have one passenger who WAS symptomatic -- who got tested and was positive -- so they then did some contact tracing basically?

Again, I'm just curious how it got to the point were several vaccinated passengers who sound like they were pretty much asymptomatic were tested for some reason...

Edited by JohnMI
  • Like 5

Just now, Brew12 said:

I'm just going to plead with you.... if you don't have N95 masks and can't socially distance, please make sure to double mask. 

You are brave to be traveling right now with an immune system issue, even being vaccinated. 

Brew12 - THANK YOU 🙏🏻 very, very good point! We should all be double masking while on board socially distanced or not. Better to be safe than sorry. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

We were in Florida for a week in July and didn't come back with covid.  We drove out there and spent the majority of time outside.  I think a lot of people are probably getting infected when they are in airports and fly or use public transportation.  Just going to Florida doesn't make you get covid.  The delta variant will run its course everywhere.  Unless travel is halted EVERYWHERE, it's going to happen.  Buckle up and decide your risks.  It's like a wave.  The lockdown places aren't going to be able to keep it out.  It's a virus and will just hit those places eventually.

Exactly, just because an area puts in lots of restrictions doesn't mean the virus won't run its course there.  Look at California during the first round. They had many restrictions yet still had high virus rates. It may just take longer to run its course, but it is probably going to happen.  When the virus rates started dropping dramatically, they were dropping in areas where vaccinations rates were very low the same as in areas where the vaccination rates were high.

Edited by Lee Cruiser
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, bdever said:

Brew12 - THANK YOU 🙏🏻 very, very good point! We should all be double masking while on board socially distanced or not. Better to be safe than sorry. 

Too many people think masks are a magic bullet and getting sick. Personally, I wouldn't let an unvaccinated child cruise right now and I would strongly encourage anyone immune compromised to not travel. You need to decide your risk for yourself.

The CDC and EPA did a detailed study on how effective masks were. 3 ply cloth masks reduce viral spread by less than 30%. Disposable paper masks by under 40%. This study is why Fauci recommends double masking. It also explains the "I did everything right including wearing a mask and still got sick"

Personally, as fully vaccinated and reasonably healthy, I accept that I may get sick while cruising but am highly unlikely to develop more than minor symptoms. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, bdever said:

Perfect.  I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

My Dh is immune compromised and has been talking about getting himself a 3rd shot even though his doc hasn't said to do it yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Perfect.  I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

My Dh is immune compromised and has been talking about getting himself a 3rd shot even though his doc hasn't said to do it yet.

I'm not immune compromised but I follow vaccine data closely. I can tell you if I could get a Pfizer booster right now I'd do it in a heartbeat. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Very well written, Homasassa. Here, on the other coast of Florida, we are experiencing the same thing. Hospital ICUs at capacity. Vaccinated, with positive COVID tests, some with symptoms as little as a cold, some with no symptoms. The unvaccinated are in the hospitals. It’s very scary. I think worse than before we had the vaccine- this is so contagious- at least if you are vaccinated you shouldn’t get that sick

fully vaccinated is not enough to ensure a negative COVID test. I am rethinking a Greek isle cruise on September 5th. You need a negative covid test to return to the US, or need to quarantine 7-14 days. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, favoritevacation said:

Very well written, Homasassa. Here, on the other coast of Florida, we are experiencing the same thing. Hospital ICUs at capacity. Vaccinated, with positive COVID tests, some with symptoms as little as a cold, some with no symptoms. The unvaccinated are in the hospitals. It’s very scary. I think worse than before we had the vaccine- this is so contagious- at least if you are vaccinated you shouldn’t get that sick

fully vaccinated is not enough to ensure a negative COVID test. I am rethinking a Greek isle cruise on September 5th. You need a negative covid test to return to the US, or need to quarantine 7-14 days. 

I wouldn't travel without Covid covered insurance right now. The risk is too high imo. If you would have non insurable issues (such as missing time at work) I would agree rethinking travel is a good idea. 

Edited by Brew12
  • Like 2