Will you stay or will you go?

julia

21 minutes ago, cruisewiththekids said:

Curious where you've heard passengers are being disembarked in Juneau.   Would like to know more about this.   Our Alaska cruise is coming up and still undecided.

Don't base your decision on this alone. 

I've asked the question of what happens to positive passengers in several forums and nobody really knows exactly, one Celebrity passenger was disembarked there presumably because they needed treatment the ship could not provide, but nobody is 100% sure, the Juneau press only mentions they left Juneau "by air ambulance".

As to forcing passengers to isolate onshore and not on the ship, like everything else coming from HAL these days, the worry free promise on HAL's website is not entirely clear, particularly the passage I underlined below:

Shoreside:

Reimbursement of expenses for COVID-related medical care including during any medically required shoreside quarantine period for guests and their immediate travel party if any such guest(s) test positive for COVID-19 during their cruise. This includes air change fees in the case onward travel plans need to change.

Any shoreside meals will be covered by a per-diem meal allowance as communicated by the family assistance coordinator upon disembarkation (no receipt retention is required).

Dedicated Family Assistance Program liaison for care and logistical shoreside support until medically cleared to travel home.

Assistance opening COVID-related insurance claims (for those who are eligible under their insurance policies or travel protection plans)

This program is not intended to replace insurance or travel protection there are many non-COVID related reasons for travel protection plans.

Insurance may allow for refunds in some cases otherwise covered by FCC only.

Insurance coverage is subject to the applicable policy.

Then there's this statement from HAL's Worry-Free Q&A:

Hotel accommodations will be arranged by the cruise line with one of its contracted hotel partners. Should guests select a different hotel, they will be reimbursed only for the amount of the contracted hotel rate for the property provided by the cruise line.  Any incidental charges, costs related to room upgrades and additional room nights in excess of what is provided by the cruise line, to the extent requested or arranged by the guests, shall be the guests’ responsibility.  Cruise line shall provide hotel accommodations until clearance by a medical professional to travel home has been provided.

So are they referring to the hotel after arrival back in Seattle or elsewhere?

Bottom line is nobody was able to tell me if positive covid cases with mild symptoms were required to isolate on the ship and then disembarked in Seattle or in Alaska.

Can someone help on this?

6 minutes ago, cruisewiththekids said:

These statements from HAL's Worry-Free Promise, is this only for those who booked HAL's insurance, or does it apply to those who haven't purchased through HAL?    I personally always book independent travel insurance, so I don't know if that changes anything.

I was under the impression that the worry free promise applied to everybody, but certain aspects of it are specific to the type of insurance purchased.

I might call HAL and ask about the isolation issue if nobody replies.  I will post after I talk to them.

A. Still going.  The test 3 days ahead will be tricky  but we live in a state with easy access to testing and low transmission.  We are on  cruise for Nov 10 and chose a balcony.  Still looking forward towards the cruise.

• Like 1

Had 3 cruises booked.  Canceled all 3.  Will not wear masks on vacation.  The logistics of getting a test when we travel 2 days early are crazy.  They are making a fun vacation too difficult.  Our window of cruising is closing due to our age.  Sad.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shipcats6 said:

Had 3 cruises booked.  Canceled all 3.  Will not wear masks on vacation.  The logistics of getting a test when we travel 2 days early are crazy.  They are making a fun vacation too difficult.  Our window of cruising is closing due to our age.  Sad.

I'm sorry to hear this, and unfortunately, it will be more difficult in the near term.  Hoping you can travel again before too long.

On 8/9/2021 at 4:03 PM, julia said:

Well, after much discussion, we have decided on "A", and will take our planned Alaskan cruise in September. 

Factors in our decision ranged from:

-we're sick of staying home

-covid could get worse

-covid could get better

-masks? what masks?

-we need a Tamarind fix

-our house has lousy bartenders

Julia - My bartenders at home doesn't do a good job either!! 

We pushed all our cruises back to the end of next year  2022 ,in the hopes that things  will look a lot better  then .😅

Oh forgot we even have one April 2023 . 

Trying out land trips first

Edited by mcrcruiser
  • Like 2

We're going to book our April cruise to Alaska next month, those are the only itineraries we trust not to change too drastically, if PVSA is gone by then or Canadian ship ban is extended, they can easily adapt them to not include Victoria. 

51 minutes ago, atexsix said:

We're going to book our April cruise to Alaska next month, those are the only itineraries we trust not to change too drastically, if PVSA is gone by then or Canadian ship ban is extended, they can easily adapt them to not include Victoria. 

The Canadian cruise ship ban end date was recently changed to November 1, 2021 (from February 28, 2022). Probably done to clear the way for the Canadian Level 4 Travel Advisory against cruising being lifted around the same time. 

1 hour ago, atexsix said:

I was lucky to snag one of my favorite stateroom an the Zuiderdam for Alaska next April and opted for the connecting Pacific Coastal in the same stateroom.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

We pushed all our cruises back to the end of next year  2022 ,in the hopes that things  will look a lot better  then .😅

Oh forgot we even have one April 2023 . 

Trying out land trips first

We booked a four day February 2022 cruise out of Fort Lauderdale on Princess only because we won't sail in the North Atlantic later in the year.  If we didn't book by the end of 2022, we lose our FCC.  Otherwise all of our new bookings are in 2023.

41 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

We booked a four day February 2022 cruise out of Fort Lauderdale on Princess only because we won't sail in the North Atlantic later in the year.  If we didn't book by the end of 2022, we lose our FCC.  Otherwise all of our new bookings are in 2023.

Lots of airline ticket cancellations to use or lose by next June for me so will have to stick with Nov, Dec, and May booked cruises.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Lots of airline ticket cancellations to use or lose by next June for me so will have to stick with Nov, Dec, and May booked cruises.

I also have timeshare deposits to use by the end of 2022 as well as airline credits.  I hope I've taken care of all of that by booking 2 weeks in a timeshare out of Miami to Grand Cayman for two weeks in March.

On 8/4/2021 at 10:45 PM, julia said:

Just curious fellow cruisers ... 

Regarding today's announcement requiring a negative Covid or antigen test, along with revised onboard mask requirements, are you planning to:

A.  Proceed with your cruise

B.  Cancel your cruise

C.  Undecided at this point

Thank you for your input.  We are undecided, and frankly struggling with this.

We are A. Proceed with your cruise folks.  We are really tired of cancelled cruises.  Don't want to cancel on our own.  We have just booked another Rotterdam cruise for spring '22.  Can't wait for one of the booked cruises to actually sail.  We will do whatever is required when one actually sails.  We are all 3 vaccinated and will take the tests if required.