Will you stay or will you go?

julia

Just now, Cruising-along said:

Our cruise isn't until Sept. 24, out of Athens, Greece.  So, as it stands now anyway, they will do the testing there at the pier. 

Maybe we should switch to Greece then.  

Something stinks about this.  Doing it at the pier doesn't seem to bother HAL there, so why the change, my guess is someone at CDC is telling them not to test at the pier in Seattle.  

• Like 2

We're leaving this weekend so don't have to do the test, which makes it easier for us. I don't mind the mask... I have to wear them all day at school and so I'm pretty used to them. We have a balcony so may spend most of our time there if the weather allows! 🙂 

• Like 3

I started calling around for tests and even Walgreens will not guarantee results for travel even the Rapid Diagnostic Test.  This really puts us in a bind.  Not sure what to do even though we are not cruising until September.  

16 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Maybe we should switch to Greece then.  

Something stinks about this.  Doing it at the pier doesn't seem to bother HAL there, so why the change, my guess is someone at CDC is telling them not to test at the pier in Seattle.  

Incorrect. It's exactly the opposite. The European health authorities have required the cruise lines to provide the testing. Here in the US the cruise lines and local governments have largely moved forward disregarding the more onerous requirements in the CDC's recommendations and proposed framework/CSO.  All of those people who've said they don't want CDC oversight, well....  This is what you get.

In fact, if you look in the technical requirements for restricted voyages, it is clear that the CDC holds the cruise line responsible for the testing (see "Screening of Passengers" section):

COVID-19 Operations Manual for Simulated and Restricted Voyages under the Framework for Conditional Sailing Order | Quarantine | CDC

Love how folks enjoy jumping on the "It must be the CDC's fault!" bandwagon....

• Like 6

I am undecided. I am leading a group of 20 this December, so I will have to go with majority rule. I'm a little more perturbed with the mask mandate than the testing mandate. Wearing a mask in the Caribbean just doesn't sound great. And while testing is a chore, I suppose I don't mind the added comfort of knowing I am on a ship with folks who have all tested negative within the past 72 hours. It's like boarding a plane- yes, TSA can be annoying, but I'd much rather be safe than sorry. I'm hoping HAL's fully vaccinated cruises prove to be a huge success, and that these restrictions ease up a little before our December sailing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roz said:

I never get a rental car in the port city.  I wonder if Uber or Lyft would be agreeable to taking someone for a test?

It maybe worth calling them to see if they do it in the Store and explain the situatin.  Lyft will make a stop at a Store to run in for a few things so that maybe a possibility.  We just used Lyft in Seattle to go for Dinner and had no problem getting them.  Waited about 5 minutes going to the Restaurant and 10 minutes waiting for the return back to the Hotel.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

I hear that cruise might be canceled..

Please post where you get information when you make this type of statement. If true, we all want to know. If rumor, it confuses the issues we are all trying to sort out.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, agathasmum said:

The announcement that a negative test will now be required is very frustrating. We are booked on the Aug 28th sailing and flying to Seattle from DC the evening of the 25th. Now it looks like we have to change our flights so we can take a rapid test before we leave. So $500 for testing, a loss of $200 for seat upgrades and incurring another $200 to rebook seat upgrades on the new flights. I am very wary of flying out the day before the cruise so we would have to test Thursday and fly out Thursday night perhaps before the results are back, so that would be very stressful too.

We have until tomorrow to cancel and get 25% of the cruise fare back. Deciding whether to just take a hit and cancel or whether it will be worth it to go through all the hassle and extra cost of rebooking flights etc.

This is not the relaxing cruise vacation I had hoped it would be. I'm very disappointed.

I share your disappointment.  I am so sorry you are experiencing this.  Thousands of people have been unfairly burdened with similar decisions.  

And it's NOT relaxing when you don't know up until the last minute if you can get an appointment, get the correct test, and get the results that are hopefully negative.  What's the point of booking so far in advance when I'm deprived of the anticipation, I might as well take a train someplace, at least those tickets are easily changed.   

4 minutes ago, JanDay said:

Please post where you get information when you make this type of statement. If true, we all want to know. If rumor, it confuses the issues we are all trying to sort out.

As posted before, just an inside joke for Boytie.. But what is the issue being sorted out?

13 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

The masks I hate, because they give me teenage acne.  But going nonetheless because it's my belief this is going to be how things are for a long time to come.

I'm hoping the mask will be less irritating in a cooler climate. The testing is a blip on the screen.  Annoying, but probably necessary.  

Btw, @julia, we used to spend summers in McCall.  Eagle is a very lovely community.   Skip and a hop to Seattle.

@AncientWanderer Yes, we really love living here, and it's an easy flight from BOI to SEA.... we do it often to visit family and friends.  McCall and CDA are our go-to spots for scenery & chill.

5 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

As posted before, just an inside joke for Boytie.. But what is the issue being sorted out?

Joke? Please do that in private messaging. Sorting out the risk and reward, the changes in plans, and finding where to get tested in the allotted time frame. Sorting out whether masking on board and potential other restrictions (like will the hydropool be open?) are worth it for a one week “vacation” cruise. Sorting out whether we cancel all the flights, hotels, shuttles, excursions, etc, AGAIN. I appreciate good humor Sir PMP, but on these forums, at this time, words can be taken literally. 

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

Many don't know your "inside" joke with Boytie so your Post are misleading and really not funny to those who have an upcoming Cruise (no disrespect intended)!

• Like 4

As luck would have it, Saturday is final payment day for our November cruise. We talked it over and decided to cancel. The testing is less of an issue for us than the masking, but we recognize these are trying times and this virus we're fighting is not going down easily. 

That said, we still have hopes of going on this cruise. We already have airfare and a hotel booked, so we will keep them and continue to monitor the Covid activity, cruise line requirements, and space availability on the ship. We're hoping there will be a cabin we like available at a price we can handle come October, and we will be able to rebook. 

We are thinking this over.   Testing and masks aren't an issue for us, but they have highlighted issues we need to pay attention to.   Is going on this cruise the prudent thing to do?   Can we truly be safe?   Are we overlooking issues just to go on a cruise?  What alternatives do we have?   Is cancelling now over reacting?   Is staying the course burying our heads in the sand?   So many questions that we can't answer.  When we can, we'll have our decision.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

We're going.

We have ample opportunities to get the test before we fly, and while the change in making guidelines registers as an annoyance, it's not enough to make us cancel. Alaska is so beautiful that we'd still go even if we weren't allowed off the ship. Just seeing the trees, mountains, waterfalls, etc. is enough for me.

I realize that some people can't get the test so easily, or aren't comfortable with the new guidelines. Hopefully things will be better next season.

Edited by fridayeyes
  • Like 2

For us, mandated masking = cruise cancellation at this point.

72-hour pre-testing gives me pause.

Why not provide proof of an adequate antibody test that would represent adequate immunization / or prior natural infection?

And so the 'crisis' continues...

Be well.

Bob

• Like 4

Final payment is due November 1 for our February Trans-Canal cruise. If the mask onboard requirement is still in place at that time (seems pretty likely) we will regretfully cancel. No problem with pre-cruise testing. I can certainly see a benefit to it. 

Being on a ship full of masked passengers and crew just wouldn't feel like a vacation to me. Especially for 14 days. I confess to admiration of those you who able to manage it and have an enjoyable cruise. 🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RRFan said:

We are wanting to cancel our Sept 4 cruise today because of the testing requirement.  Can someone tell me how to call or contact HAL to cancel?  Thanks!

Provided that you did not book through a travel agent, go online to HollandAmerica dot com and call their customer service number.  Have your booking number handy and take note of who you speak with.  If you used a travel agent, call them directly.

• Like 1

After the the hoops that we jumped through to sail around Iceland two weeks ago, wearing a mask was the least difficult thing. Standing in line for almost two hours for a PCR test to re-enter the USA was worse. Also the PCR test in Iceland was $58.95. Some companies seem to be price gouging.

We sail on HAL in December - and we are sailing.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, julia said:

Provided that you did not book through a travel agent, go online to HollandAmerica dot com and call their customer service number.  Have your booking number handy and take note of who you speak with.  If you used a travel agent, call them directly.

We did book through a TA but they said HAL is requiring passengers to contact them directly.  Today is the 30-day out for the Sept 4 sailing which we're on.  I am on hold now.  Seems to be lots of folks in front of me doing this.  Thank you for the info.

Edited by RRFan