Will you stay or will you go?

julia

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Completely understand why the cruise lines needed to begin sailing their ships.  (McDonald's would go out of business if they couldn't sell the items on their menu.)  Understand the "pent up demand" that exists among so many to cruise again.  (That's me as well.)  For those that choose to do so, expect "hoops" to jump through and "hoops" that seem to be changing from sailing to sailing.  Bon voyage to all who choose to experience this.    

You’re right!  In the “Lives” with Seth and Gus and other Interviews they said things can change and we all already know this (without being told).    What’s today may not be tomorrow!  This whole  Covid thing has been changing all the time.  

We loved last Week’s Cruise and it felt like a normal Cruise.  Now things have changed but we still plan on going in November with Mask Mandates and Testing required (if still required).  It may not be for everyone.   Every one has their own comfort level.  For us we don’t mind the inconveniences in order to Sail again and will just go with the flow!  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Laminator said:

The cruise lines are not making you travel. That is your individual choice. Infections are rising in the vast majority of the country at this time. If you feel that your area is bleeding resources and you feel that you may be taking a test away from someone that is really sick so you can go on a cruise than you need a take a look in the mirror. 

That is rather harsh, IMO.  I live in an area where it's been difficult all along to get a Covid test unless you exhibited severe symptoms, had an order from a doctor, or were having a medical procedure or test.  It's not my fault nor my decision how resources are allocated.  

Cruise lines are putting up obstacles to cruising, yet supposedly want us back cruising.  They're doing nothing to help passengers navigate the maze of requirements.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Roz said:

That is rather harsh, IMO.  I live in an area where it's been difficult all along to get a Covid test unless you exhibited severe symptoms, had an order from a doctor, or were having a medical procedure or test.  It's not my fault nor my decision how resources are allocated.  

Cruise lines are putting up obstacles to cruising, yet supposedly want us back cruising.  They're doing nothing to help passengers navigate the maze of requirements.

It was not meant to be harsh. I am sure there is much more to their reasoning than they will let us know. There may be more cases that are occurring on the ships than they are telling us. There may be several positive cases that are occurring after the cruise that contact tracing is showing is likely related to the cruise. It may be a case of the cruise lines not wanting to expose themselves to liability if the testing agency they contract with to administer has issues. 

From a business perspective there is not a chance in hell that the cruise industry wants to make it harder for their pax to cruise at this time. So there has to be more to the story. 

We need to remember that while you may be in line to get a test as one of those fortunate enough to be going on a cruise the other 100 people who are in front of you or behind you getting tested are probably scared to death that they may actually have covid. Although it may be an inconvenience I am sure it is one we should be able to live with. 

Edited by Laminator
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My answer is that come hell or high water, we're going! 😁

Initially I was very upset to find that we would need to get tested on Thanksgiving Day here in Fairbanks.  Would any place be open for testing?  Our adult daughter works on the North Slope and I picked her up from the airport the day this news came in.  She works 2 weeks on/2 weeks off and gets tested before each trip up north.  While she was gathering her bags at the airport she went to the testing station next to the baggage claim and asked if they would be open on Thanksgiving and their answer is YES!  Hooray!  So that sealed the deal for us - We're going cruising on 11/28!

We have 2 B2B Mexican Riviera cruises booked on K'dam.  We've been to the MR many times and are only planning to get off the ship once per week, each time on a HAL shore excursion.  We really just want those 2 weeks on board to relax and are looking forward to so many things...  We're fine with masking.  I haven't taken any time off of work for 2.5 years, so it will be great to have these days just to unwind and take my mind off of work.

Not sure how the B2B testing will happen, but I'm sure that HAL will let us all know as soon as they've figured that part out.  Covid tests are also required when entering the US, and we are interested to see how that gets handled.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roz said:

I  am really hoping that they are planning to add testing down the road and it is just taking them time to ramp up. I would even be OK with them charging for the service. The whole 3 day timing can be a big challenge for people traveling in to get to the ship and having an option to test at the pier would be a huge stress reliever I would think. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Taters said:

My answer is that come hell or high water, we're going! 😁

Initially I was very upset to find that we would need to get tested on Thanksgiving Day here in Fairbanks.  Would any place be open for testing?  Our adult daughter works on the North Slope and I picked her up from the airport the day this news came in.  She works 2 weeks on/2 weeks off and gets tested before each trip up north.  While she was gathering her bags at the airport she went to the testing station next to the baggage claim and asked if they would be open on Thanksgiving and their answer is YES!  Hooray!  So that sealed the deal for us - We're going cruising on 11/28!

We have 2 B2B Mexican Riviera cruises booked on K'dam.  We've been to the MR many times and are only planning to get off the ship once per week, each time on a HAL shore excursion.  We really just want those 2 weeks on board to relax and are looking forward to so many things...  We're fine with masking.  I haven't taken any time off of work for 2.5 years, so it will be great to have these days just to unwind and take my mind off of work.

Not sure how the B2B testing will happen, but I'm sure that HAL will let us all know as soon as they've figured that part out.  Covid tests are also required when entering the US, and we are interested to see how that gets handled.

Glad to hear you've got the testing piece figured out. Leave the K'Dam nice for us 😉, we board her right after you disembark! Bon voyage and smooth sailing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CruiseMGM said:

Glad to hear you've got the testing piece figured out. Leave the K'Dam nice for us 😉, we board her right after you disembark! Bon voyage and smooth sailing.

We're cruising on 11/28 and 12/5.  Can't wait! 😊

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Roz said:

Cruise lines are putting up obstacles to cruising, yet supposedly want us back cruising.  

Or they are trying to ensure that you are safe on a cruise. Cruise ships took a hell of a beating at the beginning of the pandemic, I am sure they would rather be overcautious.

14 hours ago, Roz said:

They're doing nothing to help passengers navigate the maze of requirements.

The first email was light on information but that have updated and improved it pretty quickly in my opinion.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

As much as we'd like to get a cruise in place for sometime during the bleakest months of winter, we are holding off until things start getting better. We're not going to spend thousands to have to wear masks on a cruise ship. I can barely tolerate them for a trip to the grocery store. I wear them when I have to but I'm certainly not going to pay and then have to do that. For those who don't have a problem wearing a mask on vacation, have a good time.
Pre-cruise testing is less of an issue, we would do it if required.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, TriumphGuy said:

As much as we'd like to get a cruise in place for sometime during the bleakest months of winter, we are holding off until things start getting better. We're not going to spend thousands to have to wear masks on a cruise ship. I can barely tolerate them for a trip to the grocery store. I wear them when I have to but I'm certainly not going to pay and then have to do that. For those who don't have a problem wearing a mask on vacation, have a good time.

I have stated such an opinion on several CC Message Boards.  Pre-testing?  Am unsure how I feel about that this evening,  I understand the reason for doing so.  Maybe such a requirement might be put into the category of having to obtain a visa in order to visit certain countries during a cruise.  

I am not sailing until 2022 and at the time of the booking assumed the most stringent measures.  That sounded like a reasonable plan.  I am just glad that there are fellow cruisers who are willing to get the kinks out of the system before I sail.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, TriumphGuy said:

We have the same opinion. We are booked on the November 27th 7-Day Southern Caribbean on the Nieuw Amsterdam and are not willing to wear masks onboard and in ports. We have followed all of the mandates over the last 18-months and cannot do it any longer. Especially not when we are paying for the experience. My final payment is due on the 29th of this month and we will watch until the day before and make our decision then.

• Like 2

On 8/4/2021 at 9:45 PM, julia said:

Just curious fellow cruisers ... 

Regarding today's announcement requiring a negative Covid or antigen test, along with revised onboard mask requirements, are you planning to:

A.  Proceed with your cruise

B.  Cancel your cruise

C.  Undecided at this point

Thank you for your input.  We are undecided, and frankly struggling with this.

Without any hesitation, A. Proceed with my 3 cruises.

• Like 1

We're not going to book for next year until it's next year.  Too much fluidity.  And I feel like the cruise lines are just dangling the carrot to generate income when they know full well there's a good chance they will have to significantly alter the itinerary or spring more last minute surprises on us.

It's also not recommended by Gary Bembridge unless you can really afford to be flexible with your money. 

• Like 3

On 8/6/2021 at 11:25 PM, idiebabe said:

You’re right!  In the “Lives” with Seth and Gus and other Interviews they said things can change and we all already know this (without being told).    What’s today may not be tomorrow!  This whole  Covid thing has been changing all the time.  

We loved last Week’s Cruise and it felt like a normal Cruise.  Now things have changed but we still plan on going in November with Mask Mandates and Testing required (if still required).  It may not be for everyone.   Every one has their own comfort level.  For us we don’t mind the inconveniences in order to Sail again and will just go with the flow!  

Thanks for sharing

• Like 1

Does anyone know where I can get the rapid test in San Diego? How expensive are these tests? The airport has testing at $170, but only for flights to Hawaii. We will be staying close to the cruise port three days prior to sailing.

24 minutes ago, tshved said:

Does anyone know where I can get the rapid test in San Diego? How expensive are these tests? The airport has testing at $170, but only for flights to Hawaii. We will be staying close to the cruise port three days prior to sailing.

Have you joined the roll call for your cruise?  Most often, there will be locals sailing who can help answer your question.

1 hour ago, atexsix said:

We're not going to book for next year until it's next year.  Too much fluidity. 

A wise decision, I think.  I have never been a "close to sailing date cruise booker", but, I think this might be the best way to be at this point in time.  

It never hurts to book now to get the cruise with stateroom you want and then make your final decision at the Final Payment Date if conditions change.   My favorite aft staterooms go quickly and waiting until the last minute to book one is risky.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, julia said:

Have you joined the roll call for your cruise?  Most often, there will be locals sailing who can help answer your question.

I have and hopefully someone will have an answer.

17 hours ago, tshved said:

You may want to start this question as a thread on West Coast Departures here:

West Coast Departures - Cruise Critic Community

We're undecided about our Dec. 3 cruise on the Koningsdam.  We're fine with the pre-cruise testing.  While we're very pro-mask, the idea of having to wear one for much of a week-long cruise is not appealing.  On the other hand, we REALLY want to get back out to sea.