Will you stay or will you go?

julia

16 minutes ago, RRFan said:

We did book through a TA but they said HAL is requiring passengers to contact them directly.  Today is the 30-day out for the Sept 4 sailing which we're on.  I am on hold now.  Seems to be lots of folks in front of me doing this.  Thank you for the info.

Um, sorry, but I'm throwing down the BS flag on your TA. I have never, ever heard of this.  All transactions, including canceling, must go thru the TA.  Please come back here and let us know if you are successful in canceling directly?  Thx!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

A— Going.   I don’t mind wearing a mask and I don’t mind taking a rapid test 3 days prior. 

I laughed as I read "I don't mind taking a rabid test 3 days prior."! Not the same for sure!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, VermeulT said:

I'm on the fence.  I want to cruise SO SO badly, but the extra steps and stress might not be worth it. As @agathasmum said - "This is not the relaxing cruise vacation I had hoped it would be."

Like you, I want to cruise so badly.  But, trying to do so with the hoops one has to jump through--with no guarantee that one could embark or even if the ship will sail--I am not spending the thousands of dollars for such a "vacation".  

1 hour ago, Sir PMP said:

Well, Hal should provide testing at the pier or at designated place, or airport, because  it doesn't make sense to have pax flying into Seattle and not having a place to be tested..

100% agree.  I read a post that guests from Europe will be tested at the pier at no charge.  The testing needs to be available for all guests from wherever they come.  At no charge.  (If needed, such an expense could be built into the cruise fare.)  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Will go to Caribbean in November 2021 and February 2022 - these cruises are just for relaxing on verandah. Will wait and see about Alaska next July - that's with DD, DS and their spouses. Plus have excursions booked.

Talked to my HAL PCC today and was told my Caribbean cruises this year are not affected by mandatory COVID testing, required for other cruising regions (so far)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Talked to my HAL PCC today and was told my Caribbean cruises this year are not affected by mandatory COVID testing, required for other cruising regions (so far)

It currently runs through Oct 31st but obviously can be easily extended based on whatever caused them to put these protocols in place a few days ago.

• Like 1

We are booked for the 8/15 Greek Isles. Considering the fact the area around Athens is reportedly on fire and that there is a red-alert Level Four Travel Advisory and the CDC and the WHO warn against traveling in Greece, we are not going. I am hoping HAL does right by us and cancels the cruise or at the very least gives us credit towards rebooking when the powers that be tell us it's safe to travel. 

• Like 1

Per their website, HAL will provide free mandatory antigen testing at the pier for all passengers for cruises embarking in Europe following EU Healthy Gateway Protocols.

Not free only for Europeans.

2 hours ago, julia said:

Um, sorry, but I'm throwing down the BS flag on your TA. I have never, ever heard of this.  All transactions, including canceling, must go thru the TA.  Please come back here and let us know if you are successful in canceling directly?  Thx!

Yes, when I finally got through HAL told me our TA had to cancel our trip.  Sooooo, I called them and asked for a manager.  He was wonderful and worked all afternoon to get everything straightened out.  We got about 1/3 of what we paid back in refund to our credit card.  The rest is on a future cruise credit.  We're very happy with that considering everything.  Today was 30 days before our Sept 4 cruise so I knew today was our deadline to get it done.   I hope everyone that cruises has a great trip and that nothing else comes up to hinder your trips.  The test (and mask to a lessor extent) was a deal breaker for us.  We do have a sea/land/sea to AK booked in Sept '22.  We will return to cruising as soon as all of this craziness subsides.  Best wishes to all!!

• Like 2

Interesting I just saw Royal Caribbean is also requiring the testing but only till August 31st

This is what RCI is stating.

Last week, we introduced a revised COVID-19 testing requirement for guests that are sailing from the U.S. on cruises 5 nights or longer. Every guest age 2 years and up must now provide a negative PCR or antigen test result taken no more than 3 days before their sailing, regardless of vaccination status. This expands upon the test requirements that existed for our unvaccinated guests, to create an extra layer of safety for all guests and crew.

Starting with August 12th U.S. departures, we are again expanding this protocol. This testing requirement will now apply to all cruises departing the U.S. regardless of cruise length. It will be in effect until August 31st and is subject to change including extension. We will be emailing impacted guests, primarily those onboard three and four night sailings departing Florida, with this testing protocol revision today.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience, however, with the recent increase in the Delta variant in local communities, it is a sensible additional protocol to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19.

I wonder if HAL won't back track a bit on what they have stated.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Interesting I just saw Royal Caribbean is also requiring the testing but only till August 31st

This is what RCI is stating.

Last week, we introduced a revised COVID-19 testing requirement for guests that are sailing from the U.S. on cruises 5 nights or longer. Every guest age 2 years and up must now provide a negative PCR or antigen test result taken no more than 3 days before their sailing, regardless of vaccination status. This expands upon the test requirements that existed for our unvaccinated guests, to create an extra layer of safety for all guests and crew.

Starting with August 12th U.S. departures, we are again expanding this protocol. This testing requirement will now apply to all cruises departing the U.S. regardless of cruise length. It will be in effect until August 31st and is subject to change including extension. We will be emailing impacted guests, primarily those onboard three and four night sailings departing Florida, with this testing protocol revision today.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience, however, with the recent increase in the Delta variant in local communities, it is a sensible additional protocol to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19.

I wonder if HAL won't back track a bit on what they have stated.

Oh, I hope so. My cruise is in September. I don’t mind the mask, but the test is a pain.

Edited by dmcfad2
  • Like 2

Details are missing.  When exactly does the 72 hours begin?  What format of results is acceptable? Is an emailed result acceptable and, if so, can it just be on a phone or tablet or must it be printed?  What is acceptable medical observation of test?  (I do tend to worry and overthink things.)  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crew News said:

Not doubting you but HAL's Health & Safety Guidelines on the Website sure makes it sound as if all 2021 cruises require the test:

In accordance with CDC guidelines, our 2021 cruises departing from U.S. ports are available for guests who have received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the  beginning of the cruise and a negative medically observed viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within 72 hours of their embarkation. Requirements for 2022 itineraries will be announced as available, in accordance with CDC guidelines and updated travel protocols provided by governments, ports
and public health authorities.

3 hours ago, Jemima said:

Details are missing.  When exactly does the 72 hours begin?  What format of results is acceptable? Is an emailed result acceptable and, if so, can it just be on a phone or tablet or must it be printed?  What is acceptable medical observation of test?  (I do tend to worry and overthink things.)  

HAL Brand Ambassador Seth Wayne has answered some questions on his FB page. I hope HAL gets some of these finer details in print, so there can be one standard answer. Good luck!

Edited by syesmar

We read the uirrent HAL health requirements for 2021 cruises .  Oir nest HAL cruise is  March 2022   

Here is my concern about the HAL health requirements The PCR or other test ,we found out at CVS cost $139 .00 each or $278   . We were also told by our Medical Advantage plan our tests are feee at CVS pharmacy 

Regardless of the above here is my problem with all this ,even though all  pax have  been vaccinated  &  have gotten the PCR or the other test approved by HAL within 72 hours  , & masks must be worn in all indoor settings on the ship ,what guarantee that no one will get this virus ;as what happened on a Celebrity Ship in Juneau ,Alaska . People got the virus & became ill from people on land & then brought it back on the ship with them being asymtomatic  & where air evacuated  out of Juneau 

We are all different in our feelings about   getting back on cruise ships during this time when the Delta variant is so  easily spread &  who  knows what is next to come on the horizon ,  The issue is should any one pay their total cruise fare 90 days before that cruise leaves ?  I personally ,feel that with all these changes not only by the CDC & the cruise lines that it becomes very difficult to lay out Thousands of dollars on a unknown   .

Personally ,I am taking a very hard look at the risk /reward  scenario of paying up front for a unclear future vacation situation   .We also have a B2B m14 night total cruise on Princess starting Jan 8 ,2022  .This is a lot of money for those 3 cruises & no guarantees ,at least booking a hotel room we can cancel a few days in advance & no out of pocket costs . All the odds favor the cruise lines not the passengers imo ,  when it comes to  thousands of dollars 

We are not down on cruising ,just  far too uncertain  now because of the rapid spread on these new variants & that even those of us who are vaccinated can still get ill ,especially  any senior aged people with underlying medical  conditions 

During these very trying times we need  lots of prayer  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jemima said:

When exactly does the 72 hours begin? 

Count it backwards.  It is less than 72 hours (exactly 3 days) prior to your embarkation time.  If your boarding time is at 11 AM on a Sunday, the test needs to be done after 11 AM on the prior Thursday.

11 AM Thursday to 11 AM Friday = 24 hours

11 AM Thursday to 11 AM Saturday = 48 hours

11 AM Thursday to 11 AM Sunday = 72 hours

I hope this helps answer at least one of your concerns.  

🕚+🕚+🕚=🌴🌴😊

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 2

IMO the 72 hour tests are meaningless.  If I get a test in CT within 72 hours of boarding - I'm still going through an airport, on a plane, through another airport, and spending a night in a hotel in my depart port city.  TONS of ways to pick up some spores of the virus before I board.
Even if you test me as I sit in the terminal - those spores I just picked up haven't been in my system long enough to register on a PCR test.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, VermeulT said:

IMO the 72 hour tests are meaningless.  If I get a test in CT within 72 hours of boarding - I'm still going through an airport, on a plane, through another airport, and spending a night in a hotel in my depart port city.  TONS of ways to pick up some spores of the virus before I board.
Even if you test me as I sit in the terminal - those spores I just picked up haven't been in my system long enough to register on a PCR test.

Agree, almost as bad as the temperature checks.  It’s possible they may catch a few cases but it sure turns everyone on their head.  Wonder how many get the test and test positive that would have boarded not knowing. 

• Like 1

We very reluctantly canceled our Nov 10 cruise on the Rotterdam.  We are vaccinated & didn't look forward to wearing masks or getting tested prior, but would have done that.  But HAL announced they'd allow no portable oxygen concentrators on board which made the cruise impossible for us.  I hadn't realized that the platinum insurance was non-refundable, even if the cruise was canceled before final payment, but could live with that...*except* that I honestly feel, in this case, that money should be refunded to us as my husband medically requires the portable concentrator.  I do have a call in to our TA to see if HAL would be willing to extend any grace with that.  (Not criticizing their decision to not allow POC's,  I get it, but we'd paid the insurance money before this change was enacted.)

• Like 1