Will you stay or will you go?

julia

17 minutes ago, JeanieCM said:

I hadn't realized that the platinum insurance was non-refundable, even if the cruise was canceled before final payment, but could live with that...*except* that I honestly feel, in this case, that money should be refunded to us as my husband medically requires the portable concentrator.  I do have a call in to our TA to see if HAL would be willing to extend any grace with that.  (Not criticizing their decision to not allow POC's,  I get it, but we'd paid the insurance money before this change was enacted.)

IMO they should refund it.  THEY are cancelling your cruise. You didn't initiate it.  Like you I kind of get them restricting people that need POC due to higher risk and "for the greater good" but ... they're denying you a refund of what you paid because of your [husband's] disability.

The more I think about it, the more I feel that this is VERY unfair of the cruise lines to push this on communities that are bleeding resources as it is, especially with something they can easily afford themselves, it's this type of act that fuels the hatred of cruise ships in many places.  People keep saying they had no problem finding tests, well good for them, that isn't the case in many other places around the country with increasing infections, where they are needed for people that are really sick.  I'm surprised the media hasn't gotten wind of this.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JeanieCM said:

I hadn't realized that the platinum insurance was non-refundable, even if the cruise was canceled before final payment, but could live with that...*except* that I honestly feel, in this case, that money should be refunded to us as my husband medically requires the portable concentrator.  I do have a call in to our TA to see if HAL would be willing to extend any grace with that.  (Not criticizing their decision to not allow POC's,  I get it, but we'd paid the insurance money before this change was enacted.)

Maybe these people at North Carolina Department of Insurance can help you:  Assistance or File a Complaint | NC DOI

We are booked for a caribbean cruise in late November. We are only two and a half hours by car away from the port so flights and hotels are not a concern. So we are going (unless some new stuff hits the fan before then).

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, atexsix said:

The more I think about it, the more I feel that this is VERY unfair of the cruise lines to push this on communities that are bleeding resources as it is, especially with something they can easily afford themselves

I'm not saying that I totally disagree with you in terms of what should be a priority for testing, however I do think it's a little off-base to say that cruise lines can "easily afford" to pay for testing. They have been sitting idle with little cash flow for about 18 months now and some (all?) have resorted to seeking huge infusions of cash to keep going....

Perhaps this is more a case of "maybe the CDC was right that it is too early to start cruising again"?

• Like 3

Even if I did want to cancel now, I am assuming that the new change in mask and testing policy does not qualify me to cancel my upcoming September coastal cruise without penalty. I have made final payment and cancellation fees have started. I didn’t buy insurance. Of course, that is a risk I took, I guess. It just didn’t occur to me that testing would be required if vaccinated. They were pushing the cruises saying no masks with 100% vaccinated passengers. The masks are no problem, but I’ve been looking at testing places near me and the rapid antigen test is hard to find. The PCR test is easier to find, but then I have to be concerned about getting the results in time. I wonder if the Covid guarantee about getting future FCC if one tests positive will apply if we get to the pier without being able to get test results beforehand? Just one more thing that needs to be qualified by HAL.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dmcfad2 said:

Even if I did want to cancel now, I am assuming that the new change in mask and testing policy does not qualify me to cancel my upcoming September coastal cruise without penalty. I have made final payment and cancellation fees have started. I didn’t buy insurance. Of course, that is a risk I took, I guess. It just didn’t occur to me that testing would be required if vaccinated. They were pushing the cruises saying no masks with 100% vaccinated passengers. The masks are no problem, but I’ve been looking at testing places near me and the rapid antigen test is hard to find. The PCR test is easier to find, but then I have to be concerned about getting the results in time. I wonder if the Covid guarantee about getting future FCC if one tests positive will apply if we get to the pier without being able to get test results beforehand? Just one more thing that needs to be qualified by HAL.

Check if this policy applies to you.  You may get all your fare back in a combination of cash and FCC.  https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/flexible-cancellation.html

Not going.  We were booked but when HAL changed the embarkation date, it threw all our plans out the window.  The dogs’ vacation home was not available with the new dates.

Now, I believe it was serendipity.  We’ll wait for next year.

Well, as the OP, I can say that many of your replies have really helped us...

remain entirely on the fence! 

We have a little over two weeks to either stay or go, and right now it's 50-50.  Sigh....

6 hours ago, dmcfad2 said:

I was booked on 28 Aug sailing to Alaska. I canceled today, the last day of 75% penalty phase. Tomorrow is 100%. They waived the penalties and said said I would  get a100% refund back to my credit card in 30-90 days. I was thrilled as I didn’t have insurance.

do give HAL a call or your TA

• Like 5

6 hours ago, KirkNC said:

It’s starting to turn into the cruise lines worse nightmare.

49 minutes ago, kazu said:

Not going.

Completely understand why the cruise lines needed to begin sailing their ships.  (McDonald's would go out of business if they couldn't sell the items on their menu.)  Understand the "pent up demand" that exists among so many to cruise again.  (That's me as well.)  For those that choose to do so, expect "hoops" to jump through and "hoops" that seem to be changing from sailing to sailing.  Bon voyage to all who choose to experience this.    

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, agathasmum said:

They waived the penalties and said said I would  get a100% refund back to my credit card in 30-90 days. I was thrilled as I didn’t have insurance.

THAT is great customer service and encourages one to patronize the business in the future.  

• Like 1

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/six-royal-caribbean-passengers-test-positive-covid-19/D5TOY6LJ3VCCZDEBRVU6Y3OD3I/

This news story was from one of our local Seattle stations 4 days ago.  So the media has gotten wind of it.  At the end of the story something is stated about Celebrity offering free dockside testing, but so far nobody else has mentioned that.  

The other telling thing about the story is Royal Caribbean's attitude, "it's your problem" is the way it comes off.  

10 minutes ago, atexsix said:

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/six-royal-caribbean-passengers-test-positive-covid-19/D5TOY6LJ3VCCZDEBRVU6Y3OD3I/

This news story was from one of our local Seattle stations 4 days ago.  So the media has gotten wind of it.  At the end of the story something is stated about Celebrity offering free dockside testing, but so far nobody else has mentioned that.  

The other telling thing about the story is Royal Caribbean's attitude, "it's your problem" is the way it comes off.  

I checked the celebrity board and there's no mention of this, it could be something the reporter got confused.

1 hour ago, atexsix said:

At the end of the story something is stated about Celebrity offering free dockside testing, but so far nobody else has mentioned that.  

Celebrity was only offering to provide the testing on the first cruise following their policy change, as they somehow realized that asking people to arrange for a test with only three days or so prior to their cruise was not fair.  

To their credit, at least HAL is providing more notice.

1 minute ago, cruisemom42 said:

Celebrity was only offering to provide the testing on the first cruise following their policy change, as they somehow realized that asking people to arrange for a test with only three days or so prior to their cruise was not fair.  

To their credit, at least HAL is providing more notice.

Thanks!  

11 hours ago, JeanieCM said:

But HAL announced they'd allow no portable oxygen concentrators on board which made the cruise impossible for us.  (Not criticizing their decision to not allow POC's,  I get it, but we'd paid the insurance money before this change was enacted.)

Is this something new? My mom sailed with us on a two-week HAL Alaska cruise with a POC. It had to be one approved/certified by ?FDA? or whoever the ruling body is. They are not inexpensive. I had bought a non-approved one for cheap and had to eat that cost and get her the Philips Respironics SimplyGo.

10 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Is this something new? My mom sailed with us on a two-week HAL Alaska cruise with a POC. It had to be one approved/certified by ?FDA? or whoever the ruling body is. They are not inexpensive. I had bought a non-approved one for cheap and had to eat that cost and get her the Philips Respironics SimplyGo.

It is new, related to the pandemic.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Boytjie said:

It is new, related to the pandemic.

Well, that makes as much sense as hardware stores not renting carpet cleaning machines due to COVID. Unless they just don't want the risk of people with COPD on board (if they get sick they tend to get much sicker).

Our answer is A! Hubby and I are going on 9/18 on the Nieuw Amsterdam for our 30th wedding anniversary (which is 9/21)! (Assuming - and hoping - it's not canceled) We are going with the flow and don't mind the extra protocols and precautions. It helps that we live in the burbs of Seattle so we don't need to fly this time and covid testing timing won't be so tricky (but it can be done!). And hey, some R & R with beautiful views from our aft verandah cabin sound idyllic regardless 🙂 Not gonna lie, I was excited that it's a fully vaxxed cruise and initially no masks would be required but if we canceled things based on mask policies and covid testing we wouldn't really do much or travel. I work for an airline so I wear a mask all day when working. It's not a big deal to me. I certainly respect others' decisions to cancel however. To each their own, everyone has to do what's best for them especially during these trying times. Hopefully some of you here will be on the same cruise......Bon voyage!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, atexsix said:

The more I think about it, the more I feel that this is VERY unfair of the cruise lines to push this on communities that are bleeding resources as it is, especially with something they can easily afford themselves, it's this type of act that fuels the hatred of cruise ships in many places.  People keep saying they had no problem finding tests, well good for them, that isn't the case in many other places around the country with increasing infections, where they are needed for people that are really sick.  I'm surprised the media hasn't gotten wind of this.

The cruise lines are not making you travel. That is your individual choice. Infections are rising in the vast majority of the country at this time. If you feel that your area is bleeding resources and you feel that you may be taking a test away from someone that is really sick so you can go on a cruise than you need a take a look in the mirror. 

• Like 3