Cruising with Children

isdoo

Question on children

I have not cruised with children for a long time........  and so I have rather ignored the situation for children especially who have never cruised before.

Captains Club - I believe that they cannot register? Is that correct? 

Internet - where included, I assume they get the same as the parents as far as connection is concerned.

App - Do they download the app to their phones or do they use their parents or what? 

Any other tips for first time children sailing.

This will be in a suite on Silhouette

Children cannot join the Captains Club until they are 18 bug save those sign and sail cards because they will get credit for all cruises sailed once they do turn 18 and join. Someone may ask why save the cards, Celebrity has their records but computer systems have changed over the years and info is lost.  I know because it happened to us with our son. 

We were in a Royal Suite and our son who is and adult had to purchase an internet package as the third in the room.  That was before all the recent changes.

I would definitely have them put the app on their phone. 

Edited by dkjretired
  • Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 7:35 AM, dkjretired said:

Children cannot join the Captains Club until they are 18 bug save those sign and sail cards because they will get credit for all cruises sailed once they do turn 18 and join. Someone may ask why save the cards, Celebrity has their records but computer systems have changed over the years and info is lost.  I know because it happened to us with our son. 

We were in a Royal Suite and our son who is and adult had to purchase an internet package as the third in the room.  That was before all the recent changes.

I would definitely have them put the app on their phone. 

Thanks for this.  Our son (12) is Crown & Anchor member on RCI, and I know that they automatically assigned me a member number on Celebrity and Azm., so was going to call to get my wife and son their numbers on Celebrity before our cruise next year.  Sounds like they won’t give him one until he is 18.  

1 hour ago, RSLeesburg said:

Thanks for this.  Our son (12) is Crown & Anchor member on RCI, and I know that they automatically assigned me a member number on Celebrity and Azm., so was going to call to get my wife and son their numbers on Celebrity before our cruise next year.  Sounds like they won’t give him one until he is 18.  

While I have never done it, make sure you keep  copies of all the reservations your son takes.   When he hits18 they will give him the credits for those cruises.     I've read a couple threads about this over the years.

2 hours ago, RSLeesburg said:

Actually, it’s ironic that when we first started to cruise Celebrity with our kids in early 90s you had to pay $35 for a family membership which included the children who were 7 and 9 at the time. I still have their Captains Club numbers with only five digits on it. Actually had someone at Celebrity tell me that was impossible until I sent them a copy of the card.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

While I have never done it, make sure you keep  copies of all the reservations your son takes.   When he hits18 they will give him the credits for those cruises.     I've read a couple threads about this over the years.

My son had sailed both with us, and also with his grandmother numerous times.  When he turned 18 all his information was there, no issues. So at 20 he's well on his way to Select.

X has a very nice children program and from what I have seen many would rather be there than  with their parents 

Personally I have grand children and wouldn’t want to take them on a cruise.  I am selfish and want the remaining time of my life with my wife.

If I was sailing with my own children I would consider X as the experience is  exception for my wife  and I  and the children would have  a great time even though the ship isn’t a amusement park.  The attention and relationship that the staff gives to the children is fantastic from what I have heard and noticed on board.   In the dining room a family was next to us.  I asked if their kids were in the children program and they said no as they didn’t think they would like It.  A few nights later they thanked me for suggesting it and that their children couldn’t wait to get back in the morning or after dinner, and were disappointed when it wasn’t available. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

Hi isdoo!

Captain's Club - My two kids grew up cruising Celebrity (starting 2003), and Celebrity kept track (glad they did, because I wouldn't have thought to ...) When my daughter turned 18 and signed up, she was instant Elite, and son is expecting same next year. We've been on NCL and RCI, but their absolute favorite has always been Celebrity; both loved Celebrity's kids program much more over programs of the other lines. I agree that on many cruises, they have preferred time there over time with parents ( ... so more time at the Martini Bar for us 😁)

Internet - Last cruise 6/2019 on Edge, in a CS, they both had internet access without an extra fee (even though when we booked, it was only for two ... and we didn't question this!). Even if you miss out on "complimentary" internet, when we've used on a prior cruise, it was for one device at a time, so you don't necessarily need to buy an additional plan unless you plan on using simultaneously on more than 2 different devices.

App - They both downloaded the app onto their own phones; handy to have them check things themselves instead of always asking.

First Time Sailing Tips - It would be helpful if you share how old your children are?  (Though I am very near the expiration date of being able to share thoughts on "cruising with children.")

On 8/8/2021 at 11:15 AM, Jim_Iain said:

I will.  This will be our first cruise on X.  Our son has his points for his RCI cruises, but I will keep a folder for our cruises on X.  it is weird that RCI allows kids to earn points, but whatever.  We may take a few more Celebrity cruises, so will keep everything!  

7 hours ago, RSLeesburg said:

I will.  This will be our first cruise on X.  Our son has his points for his RCI cruises, but I will keep a folder for our cruises on X.  it is weird that RCI allows kids to earn points, but whatever.  We may take a few more Celebrity cruises, so will keep everything!  

Just an FYI, they can't be combined when he turns 18.   

On 8/7/2021 at 5:44 AM, isdoo said:

Question on children

I have not cruised with children for a long time........  and so I have rather ignored the situation for children especially who have never cruised before.

Captains Club - I believe that they cannot register? Is that correct? 

Internet - where included, I assume they get the same as the parents as far as connection is concerned.

App - Do they download the app to their phones or do they use their parents or what? 

Any other tips for first time children sailing.

This will be in a suite on Silhouette

at this time i would not risk my child sailing. nor my wife 

7 hours ago, LouChamp said:

at this time i would not risk my child sailing. nor my wife 

Sailed last week on Equinox..it was glorious..good many kids on board too..seemed to be having fun..scavenger hunts, etc...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our 3 under twelve grandkids would be far safer aboard a Celebrity ship IMO than being in school with untested and unvaccinated students, teachers, classroom aides, etc.. While some of the adults may be vaccinated, it's not a requirement, and no one needs to be tested.

• Like 3

Something must have changed, our children achieved elite/diamond status before they were 18, they even got their diamond pins.  I can't find any of their old Celebrity sea passes but the RCL sea passes call out their tier and I'd swear it was the same on X.

1 hour ago, i-m-ed said:

Something must have changed, our children achieved elite/diamond status before they were 18, they even got their diamond pins.  I can't find any of their old Celebrity sea passes but the RCL sea passes call out their tier and I'd swear it was the same on X.

Celebrity currently do not allow CC members who are under 18, they used to but not for the past few years. They do sometimes make mistakes.

13 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Our 3 under twelve grandkids would be far safer aboard a Celebrity ship IMO than being in school with untested and unvaccinated students, teachers, classroom aides, etc.. While some of the adults may be vaccinated, it's not a requirement, and no one needs to be tested.

Good point 

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

This is a common feeling here.  Not sure why some are reacting to your opinion.  Have a good one!

Wish i knew.  Thank you for your understanding. It is probably because their head are in the sand.