There is some discussion about closing down travel from the USA to Europe again...

Stockjock

The surge we are seeing worldwide of the Delta variant of Covid 19 is very worrisome. Until a couple of weeks ago I was feeling great about my October 31st `8 night Grand Voyage on MSC Seashore but I have serious concerns now we may see this and many more cruises cancelled.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, notladjr said:

The surge we are seeing worldwide of the Delta variant of Covid 19 is very worrisome. Until a couple of weeks ago I was feeling great about my October 31st `8 night Grand Voyage on MSC Seashore but I have serious concerns now we may see this and many more cruises cancelled.

I have a fall sailing out of "Rome" with final payment fast approaching.  While I want to go, for the first time ever I am seriously considering pulling the plug on the trip.  I'll wait until the last minute to decide.

Just spoke with the GF and we're giving it just over a week and if the numbers don't improve a lot, we've decided to cancel prior to final payment.  Major bummer, but if the risks are quite high, not worth taking those risks, imo.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, MarkusToe said:

Internally spoken, it's the reaction of the travel ban of the US....

Ursula highlighted in her last speech to Mr president...I will do something if you do not lift the ban....

And here we are...

While there is some truth to this, if you look at the USA numbers, they've legitimately spiked like crazy.  We are in a much different position versus a few months ago.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

9 hours ago, MarkusToe said:

Internally spoken, it's the reaction of the travel ban of the US....

Ursula highlighted in her last speech to Mr president...I will do something if you do not lift the ban....

And here we are...

And, probably would be in the best interests of the EU as well as the US if the ban would be enacted.  At least, at this time.  

11 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

And, probably would be in the best interests of the EU as well as the US if the ban would be enacted.  At least, at this time.  

The sad thing is that we went from maybe 10%-15% possibility of cancellation a few weeks ago to 80%-90% chance now.  Fortunately, I'm still about 10 days outside of final payment.

I looked at Total CruiseFlex and while it's absolutely better than nothing, the payments would basically become non-refundable.  Payments can be moved to a new cruise departing up to 09/22/2022, and we have a cruise we are interested in that falls within that time frame.  Problem is, if you can't use it, or all of what you've paid by that date, as I understand it, your money will not be refunded.  

In my view, for those in the USA outside of final payment, much smarter to cancel, get back all monies paid, and book a new fully refundable cruise once you find something that you like at a time when hopefully things are better from a coronavirus perspective.

It is ironic that the only country allowed to board MSC cruises (outside EU ) is the country with the largest number of ACTIVE cases and total number of cases.

But that may change soon.

Just a few hours back, 27 were found Covid positive on Carnival Vista sailing from Galveston.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2021/08/13/carnival-vista-cruise-covid-cases/

Edited by drsel
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, MouseBerry said:

MSC is allowed to operate cruises from UK as well, which is outside EU, but not outside of Europe. And normalised on population (new Covid cases in 7days per 100.000) UK is worse than US.

Cases have no bearing on illness or number of Deaths, many test positive but are not ill. UK Death numbers are low. many of those testing positive had had one or both jabs.

• Like 1

The EU are talking about stopping US entry NOT Europe, they are very different.

It was postponed from this week to be reconsidered in two weeks, it is clearly the EU posturing to "encourage" the US to reciprocate the relaxation the EU did some time ago, they are clearly tired of the lack of US action.

• Like 1

The discussion at EU level is to remove US from the 'green list' which recommends that EU countries allow entry to everyone from US (i.e. vaccinated and unvaccinated).   I assume the root cause is both rising cases in US as well as the lack of reciprocity for Europeans to visit USA.

Each EU country decides their own border-entry rules, and a common theme among the big countries (Germany, France, Spain, though not yet Italy) is that the entry restrictions only apply to unvaccinated travelers.   

My prediction - European countries will not go backwards and will remain open to vaccinated travelers (as well as reducing domestic restrictions for vaccinated people).  The only thing that could occur to change this is a new vaccine escaping variant.

7 hours ago, 8420PR said:

The discussion at EU level is to remove US from the 'green list' which recommends that EU countries allow entry to everyone from US (i.e. vaccinated and unvaccinated).   I assume the root cause is both rising cases in US as well as the lack of reciprocity for Europeans to visit USA.

Each EU country decides their own border-entry rules, and a common theme among the big countries (Germany, France, Spain, though not yet Italy) is that the entry restrictions only apply to unvaccinated travelers.   

My prediction - European countries will not go backwards and will remain open to vaccinated travelers (as well as reducing domestic restrictions for vaccinated people).  The only thing that could occur to change this is a new vaccine escaping variant.

I definitely hope you’re right, as we have a cruise in Italy beginning on the 28th. We are both fully vaccinated. 

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I definitely hope you’re right, as we have a cruise in Italy beginning on the 28th. We are both fully vaccinated. 

Check blog dot wego com for detailed travel advisories which are updated daily, although rather complicated.

You may have to check the travel advisory of every country where the ship docks.

Edited by drsel

20 hours ago, drsel said:

Check blog dot wego com for detailed travel advisories which are updated daily, although rather complicated.

You may have to check the travel advisory of every country where the ship docks.

Thanks! Good site. So far we are OK for the ports of call, we're only going to ports in Italy, Croatia and Greece. I'll keep checking until we leave in case there's a change. Thanks again.

Edited by DCGuy64
added more information

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

Thanks! Good site. So far we are OK for the ports of call, we're only going to ports in Italy, Croatia and Greece. I'll keep checking until we leave in case there's a change. Thanks again.

Also check kayak dot com travel restrictions.

You will be allowed to enter but you need to check if quarantine and/or rt-pcr rapid antigen test are required before flying

6 hours ago, drsel said:

Also check kayak dot com travel restrictions.

You will be allowed to enter but you need to check if quarantine and/or rt-pcr rapid antigen test are required before flying

So far they’re not required since we’re fully vaccinated, but we’re still getting tested the day before we fly just to be on the safe side. Thanks for the info! 

I don't understand why US keeps up the ban even after EU allows US to enter.

Delta is dominant in both regions and will keep on spreading.

Let vaxxed and tested ppl travel, that won't hurt more than what is already going on. Or does anybody really think that Delta will be last variant and the virus will disappear 2022?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UniPac said:

I don't understand why US keeps up the ban even after EU allows US to enter.

Delta is dominant in both regions and will keep on spreading.

Let vaxxed and tested ppl travel, that won't hurt more than what is already going on. Or does anybody really think that Delta will be last variant and the virus will disappear 2022?

Good question, no idea why the ban is still in force. APEX has asked the US government to drop the ban.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/apex-urges-us-to-lift-entry-requirements-for-europeans/

I think Europeans and other overseas visitors who are fully vaccinated should be allowed in. But at last check, the Biden Admin wasn't asking my opinion, LOL.

• Like 1