A potentially silly but valid question…

ToxM

…but not about covid related issues if that is a relief for some!

So after three attempts to cruise with my elderly mum, this next booked cruise we hope is a goer. 

She has severe mobility issues and happily we have managed to snag an accessible balcony. Because of her mobility issues any changes in temperature to her legs causes her problems. This is dealt with by using a heated blanket under her sheet at home in bed. I have managed her expectations that almost certainly she is not going to be able to bring her heated blanket with her and in trying to come up with a comparable solution we will be bringing a hot water bottle.

Thanks for reading so far - my question is this … if we still are able to enjoy turndown service in this strange new world of cruising, will a request to pre heat the bed with the hot water bottle be met favourably, or will we be ordering a carafe of very hot water every night? 

I realise this might sound like a trivial question to some but to my 78 year old mum who needs reassurance she is not going to be in pain every night it’s a valid question.

I would have posed the question to my TA, but would rather hear from the very experienced cruisers of O first. 

Thanks in advance.  

• Like 1

I would contact the special services dept at O & ask about bringing her heated  blanket 

It would probably need to be approved by  someone higher up in the  electrical end of things   but worth a try

They allow CPAP  machines so maybe they will allow her  blanket

Usually the housekeeping staff are off by 9 pm so not sure about warming the bed  before  but you could certainly order hot water from room service

I think yours is  a unique situation  so checking with O ahead of time is your best option

JMO

• Like 3

@ToxM Not a silly question at all. Very valid. Having traveled with my elderly mum for many years, who had special needs as well, I understand where you are coming from and I do hope your trip is finally a go. I know the trips my mother and I were able to take together meant so much to us both.

Although I have no concrete answer to your question,  I do agree that if you pose it directly to Oceania and get your TA on it as well, I am sure they can work something out.

Best of luck and happy travels, to you both!

(PS - I have watched every episode of Midsomer Murders at least 47 times - sadly, not an exaggeration - love that you chose "Midosomer" as your homeport!)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I would contact the special services dept at O & ask about bringing her heated  blanket 

It would probably need to be approved by  someone higher up in the  electrical end of things   but worth a try

They allow CPAP  machines so maybe they will allow her  blanket

Usually the housekeeping staff are off by 9 pm so not sure about warming the bed  before  but you could certainly order hot water from room service

I think yours is  a unique situation  so checking with O ahead of time is your best option

JMO

And perhaps her physician will give her a note.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

A consideration. The comforter on the bed is very very warm. Often too hot and we either remove it or kick it off during the night because it get too hot. That comforter may well provide all the heat she needs.

I wonder if her bed could be made with the comforter under the bottom sheet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clairol said:

@ToxM Not a silly question at all. Very valid. Having traveled with my elderly mum for many years, who had special needs as well, I understand where you are coming from and I do hope your trip is finally a go. I know the trips my mother and I were able to take together meant so much to us both.

Although I have no concrete answer to your question,  I do agree that if you pose it directly to Oceania and get your TA on it as well, I am sure they can work something out.

Best of luck and happy travels, to you both!

(PS - I have watched every episode of Midsomer Murders at least 47 times - sadly, not an exaggeration - love that you chose "Midosomer" as your homeport!)

I live right next to the town used as the setting for Causton 😉

I will definitely get in touch with my TA - thank you for your kind words 🙂

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

A consideration. The comforter on the bed is very very warm. Often too hot and we either remove it or kick it off during the night because it get too hot. That comforter may well provide all the heat she needs.

This is a good idea, but getting into those crisp white lovely sheets which are so nice and cool (I love it) will set off her pain, but the comforter is a good idea to keep everything toasty 🙂

28 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Would a heating pad do the trick?  Easy to pack and along with an extension cord, probably easy to use?

Things that can create a fire hazard are not allowed on ships. 

28 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Would a heating pad do the trick?  Easy to pack and along with an extension cord, probably easy to use?

That’s a good idea, I wonder if they would be allowed? 

17 minutes ago, ToxM said:

I suppose we could activate them and leave them in the bend … but they might not be a bit too intense in one area.. 

what about putting them on her legs ?

maybe you could try one at home to see if  they would be an option

Just a thought

I use  the back ones they have a gentle warmth & last  all day

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LHT28 said:

what about putting them on her legs ?

maybe you could try one at home to see if  they would be an option

Just a thought

I use  the back ones they have a gentle warmth & last  all day

There appears to be all sorts of caveats to what works and what doesnt for my mum, but I am definitely going to ask her if that is a possibility, i think even the light weight on her legs may make it a neg. But I definitely appreciate the suggestion!

From the O site as to what is not allowed (item 21) -- anything they do not supply with a heating element..

I wonder how many crossbows get brought onboard  🙂

Updated June 29, 2018

The safety  and security of our guests and crew is our number one priority. The following items are prohibited on-board Oceania Cruises Vessels. These items will be confiscated and not transported aboard . When an item is determined to be illegal the appropriate authorities will be informed. 

1. All illegal narcotics/drugs. (Including Marijuana prescribed for medical purposes and other items used as drug paraphernalia. This includes Hookah Pipes).
  2. All firearms including replicas, imitations, non-firing weapons, starting pistols and their components
  3. Air, BB or pellet pistols or rifles
  4. Any other projectile-weapon or item that resembles or can be mistaken as a firearm (e.g., paint ball guns)
  5. All ammunition or replica ammunition for listed line items 2, 3 & 4
  6. All explosives, component parts (i.e. detonators) including imitation explosives and devices
  7. Fireworks, flares, and pyrotechnics (excluding those which are part of the vessel’s lifesaving equipment and which have been properly manifested)
  8. Martial Arts Weapons (i.e. throwing stars, flails)
  9. Knives with a blade longer than 4 inches/10.16 cm
  10. Open razors
  11. Swords, Skean Dhus, or Kirpans
  12. Spears or spear guns
  13. Crossbows, crossbow bolts, and long bow arrows
  14. Blunt weapons including knuckle dusters, brass knuckles, clubs, telescopic batons, batons, flails or nunchaku
  15. Items containing incapacitating substances (e.g. gas guns, tear gas sprays, mace, phosphorus, acid and other dangerous chemicals that could be used to maim or disable
  16. Restraining Devices (i.e. handcuffs, leg, and head restraining straps)
  17. Flammable substances and hazardous chemicals. (e.g., petrol, methylated spirits, paint thinners, lighter fuel, etc.)
  18. Any other item made, adapted or intended for use as an offensive weapon
  19. Stun devices (i.e. Tazers and Stun Guns)
  20. Large batteries
  21. Items brought on board the vessel and not supplied by the Company containing any kind of heating element, such as but not limited to: immersion heaters, heating blankets, flat irons, water heaters, coffee machines with heating/hot plates, etc.
  22. Any remotely controlled or autonomously flying devices, toys or drones
  23. Self-balancing hover boards, air wheels, scooters, or Segways
  24. Compressed gas tanks, bottles, cylinders including dive tanks, propane tanks and large aerosol cans
  25. Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB), ham radios, satellite phones, transformers, lasers and laser pointers
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2021 at 11:27 AM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Here's what PAULMCO posted in his list of disallowed items.  It's item 21, but I thought that actually posting the sentence would relieve folks of reading them all, if they were so disinclined.  But it's worth reading them all...some are amusing. The red emphasis is mine.

21. Items brought on board the vessel and not supplied by the Company containing any kind of heating element, such as but not limited to: immersion heaters, heating blankets, flat irons, water heaters, coffee machines with heating/hot plates, etc.

Maybe there is an medical exemption, so asking O directly or having the TA ask would be prudent. 

Edited by 1985rz1

Thanks for the list of prohibited items, apart from nixing my mum’s heating blanket, my suitcase will be lighter due to me not taking my portable Martial Arts Dojo and exercise equipment (!)

I’ll get the TA to do some digging. Thanks all 🙂

4 hours ago, ToxM said:

Thanks for the list of prohibited items, apart from nixing my mum’s heating blanket, my suitcase will be lighter due to me not taking my portable Martial Arts Dojo and exercise equipment (!)

I’ll get the TA to do some digging. Thanks all 🙂

If Oceania provides the blanket -- then you are OK...  They just do not want guests bringing items that effect safety without approvals.  Guess need to unpack my automobile battery in my luggage...

LHT -- tell DH that no Ham radios   🙂

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Thanks 1