Iona Thoughts

Cruiserjules

4 hours ago, Cruise_Rookie_2010 said:

We're on Iona departing 25th Sept, there's very little information on testing other than the departure test will be provided at Southampton. I can't find any information about the pre-arrival in UK test but it looks pretty clear that passengers are required to complete a locator form 48 hours before arriving back in the UK, and in the absence of a positive statement from P&O I'm assuming that they will not provide tests, so it's down to the passengers to make their own arrangements. Same issue with arrival in both Portugal & Spain where evidence of negative tests within previous 72 hours is required to enter the country. We'll be at sea so not sure how we can comply. I've asked the question with P&O customer service but so far nothing forthcoming other than "check the website".

But if you travel on Iona on the 25th but don’t get off at any port, have you actually been anywhere!

With P&O charging to let people off the ship there will likely be a significant number who don’t bother and just treat it as a ‘cruise to nowhere’ the same as the current staycation cruises that are bobbing around off the French coast.

Does being on a ship that docked somewhere mean you have *been* there? Who knows, because there is damn all guidance on either the UK government website or P&O’s website.

It is my understanding that if your ship docks in a country you are generally deemed to have entered that country so if that country requires you to have completed certain COVID procedures you have to comply. Normally P&O would inform you of the requirements before your cruise and if you don't meet the requirements you would be denied boarding. These countries are sovereign nations and within their territorial waters their rules apply, not the UK's or P&O.

In these COVID times everything is uncertain, a countries entry requirements could change once you have sailed from the UK. For example I have a cruise booked to Madeira, the Canaries and Spain/Portugal in January. This is still a gamble and might well end up as a cruise to nowhere or a mystery cruise to somewhere. I would hope that if say Portugal changed the entry requirement for Madeira after we left Southampton P&O would have the onboard testing facilities to perform at least rapid PCR testing. Same for the return to Southhampton. I have read that some countries are varying their entry requirements for cruise ships, maybe? Italy deeming that cruise ship passengers are considered to be in transit so the normal COVID entry requirements are waived or varied.

P&O are not being awkward or uncaring, They are just as confused as we are, if not more so!

What is worrying is the final payment for my January cruise is due in October a full 90 days before the cruise 'might' depart. At my age the loss of 18 months of cruising may never be recovered so I am likely to take the gamble and pay the balance.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, picsa said:

As before, please point to the UK government website that actually says that.

Just because you believe something to be true, doesn't necessarily make it so.

There are no "current protocols" for international cruises, because international cruises were prohibited. So if you are talking "current protocols" then presumably you mean prior to COVID when international cruises could take place. In which case there were no testing requirements, no forms, etc. for return to the UK whether you had got off the ship or not. So is that what you believe to be the current status?

Not a bad summation really, I certainly have not seen any re-entry testing procedure for cruise ship passengers. 

Since most cruises from the UK will have calls in several countries, then how will that operate, similarly what about each port stop, do they follow the rules for the last port of call, or the UK  or a complicated average of the 2, by the time you reach the final port when you have visited 3 or 4 countries, you could have swab sticks protruding from every orifice!!!😊

• Haha 2

Hi everyone, I don't post on here but I do watch topics with interest before going on cruise holidays!

This one has definitely got my attention as we're due to go on iona 25th sept. and I keep hoping that someone has heard from cruise line what exactly will be in place.

Like others we are concerned re lack of clear  information surrounding protocols for returning to uk.

I contacted NHS helpline and was advised test is required in the 3 days before return to uk as we would have visited  (currently) amber list countries, also further test on day 2 of return.

The guidance may all change at next review which I think is around 16th sept.

After many failed attempts to contact P&O I did manage to get through, was told they are "working hard to get things sorted" and would be contacting guests within couple of days (this was a week ago).  No response to any questions as she said they didn't know what will be in place. 

I do sometimes think that maybe P&O are waiting to see if countries move to green list, then perhaps nothing would be required? If this didn't happen, will we be required to bring tests with us...just my mind working overtime!

NHS  helpline directed me to.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cruise-ship-travel

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-abroad-from-england-during-coronavirus-covid-19

There are others for Scotland, Wales and NI

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, painterman64 said:

I do sometimes think that maybe P&O are waiting to see if countries move to green list, then perhaps nothing would be required

You still have to be tested before and after entry to the UK, even from a "green" country. 

1 hour ago, painterman64 said:

NHS  helpline directed me to.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cruise-ship-travel

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-abroad-from-england-during-coronavirus-covid-19

There are others for Scotland, Wales and NI

The first link says nothing informative about this issue or of relevance.

The second is written in respect of people going to a country, not people on a cruise who may or may not set foot on land in the country.

If the rules require a “pre-departure COVID-19 test - to be taken in the 3 days before you travel to England” then since UK law treats a cruise as a single journey, then you are travelling from England to England. 

So for the Iona cruise on the 25th, then presumably you could take a pre-departure for England test in the three days preceding the 25th since as soon as the ship leaves Southampton then you are travelling to Southampton.

Of course that is absurd, but that is what anyone travelling out of England on a one day trip can do currently; take the test before they leave.

And if you wanted to do something else, then it would need to be either the 6th, 7th or 8th of October, with Iona being docked in Lisbon on the 6th. So practicality how do you do it if a proportion of passengers don’t get off and can’t get tested in Lisbon? Rely on people bringing a test? P&O carrying out the tests? And how do you report the results of the test if it is done on the 7th or 8th when most people won’t have internet access.

Then there is completing the Passenger Locator Form in the 48 hours before arrival at Southampton when Iona is at sea and again most people won’t have internet access. 

And all this for some passengers who never left the ship between Southampton and Southampton, the same as the passengers on the ships bobbing around off the French coast.

This is getting worrying. My Iona cruise arrives back in Southampton on the 29th January. The last port of call is a Lisbon overnight on the 25/26th. According to Gov UK the last opportunity for the test is Wed the 26th and the result must be available before you board (airplane?)

If you must source this test yourself good luck in finding a Lisbon provider that will do the test in the morning and guarantee to get the result to you before the ship sails. so there goes your second day in Lisbon and if you fail the test or don't get the result you will be stranded in Lisbon.

What is lacking is rules for cruise ship travel. IMO P&O leaving you to your own devices would be a very bad situation. Ideally P&O should either administer the test themselves or have a local provider ready. If they did this they could do the tests during the journey to Southampton. If a local provider is used it should be possible to deliver the result when the ship has already sailed, in effect you are on the 'airplane' which has its own integral isolation facilities. This means the ships won't be sailing at full capacity. The best method for the Passenger Locator Form is to complete it on the ship and P&O send to UK immigration

Edited by davecttr

Picsa, you appear to be echoing my thoughts exactly as regards the restart if international cruising.

We are booked on the Northern European cruise on 23rd October which is due to go to Germany and the Netherlands. At present, green countries require a test 72 hours before returning to the UK. How can P&O expect every passenger (3000?) to take a test? Also, who do they report a possible positive test to?  How can the ship disembark passengers that have not been cleared by UK border force as having evidence of a negative test as would be required if entering the UK by air?

There ares o many questions that, unlike wowzz's belief, are not covered by the UK gov website or P&O website.  Also, how can passengers return to a UK ship from an excursion if the country they are visiting requires a negative test to be able to return to the UK?

All very confusing, and I would not be at all surprised if our cruise becomes a cruise to nowhere or a UK port only cruise. (I wouldn't mind either way to be honest).

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

A quick question for those who have been on an Iona staycation:

Was there a Tropical theme night?

Cruise Personaliser only mentions the Gala/Celebration night.

Just wondering whether or not to pack a tropical shirt.

TIA

No there wasn't. The only 'special' night was the Celebration(Formal) night. There were people around the ship in tropical shirts on other nights though.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, daveoc said:

No there wasn't. The only 'special' night was the Celebration(Formal) night. There were people around the ship in tropical shirts on other nights though.

That'll be me in two weeks then.

Most of my cruise attire is designed for the Caribbean, not Southampton in the autumn!!!! 🌴🍹⛱️

20 minutes ago, Bgees said:

There ares o many questions that, unlike wowzz's belief, are not covered by the UK gov website or P&O website. 

Exactly - If anyone assumes they can guess what the rules are then they are in for a world of pain and trouble when they discover they are wrong.

Unless it explicitly says “do this, then that” on a UK Government website then you *will* be mistaken as to what you need to do.

22 minutes ago, Bgees said:

All very confusing, and I would not be at all surprised if our cruise becomes a cruise to nowhere or a UK port only cruise. (I wouldn't mind either way to be honest).

Likewise. I am booked on the Iona 25th September, but have no intention of getting off anywhere so don’t really care if it just a cruise vaguely somewhere towards Spain and the Med.

• Like 1

I wonder if it’s better to do a cruise to say Norway? At least all the ports are in one country. As I’ve said before my next cruise is 14 days to the Med - a lot of money for us. I would have been happy bobbing about in the channel for 4 nights but not for 14 at the price we’re paying. It’s so challenging, I hope I don’t have to move it again but I’m not happy to pay that price for little or no ports!

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Bgees said:

Picsa, you appear to be echoing my thoughts exactly as regards the restart if international cruising.

We are booked on the Northern European cruise on 23rd October which is due to go to Germany and the Netherlands. At present, green countries require a test 72 hours before returning to the UK. How can P&O expect every passenger (3000?) to take a test? Also, who do they report a possible positive test to?  How can the ship disembark passengers that have not been cleared by UK border force as having evidence of a negative test as would be required if entering the UK by air?

There ares o many questions that, unlike wowzz's belief, are not covered by the UK gov website or P&O website.  Also, how can passengers return to a UK ship from an excursion if the country they are visiting requires a negative test to be able to return to the UK?

We are due on a W Med cruise on Britannia leaving 9th October, I too dont mind s cruise to nowhere, but I would prefer Med weather so I hope it at least fulfills that part of its itinerary.

If I was going on a cruise in the next few weeks, I'd certainly be concerned  about requirements to get into countries and to get back in to the UK.

However, it's my view that any requirements for pre entry testing would be handled by P&O, in the same way that they deal with all other entry requirements, e.g. getting customers to complete landing cards etc. 

If the pre - entry conditions can't be met, either the ship doesn't go into that port or at the very worst the cruise is completely cancelled.

Requirements for entry to countries and the state of the pandemic are changing and fluctuating all the time, so realistically P&O aren't going to know themselves until shortly before departure.

In other words, all anybody can do is wait and see what happens. Unfortunately, being in a state of uncertainty is all part and parcel of 'learning to live with it'. If people aren't comfortable with this (I'm not good with it myself, then the easiest answer is don't go on cruises for the time being.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I wonder if it’s better to do a cruise to say Norway? At least all the ports are in one country. As I’ve said before my next cruise is 14 days to the Med - a lot of money for us. I would have been happy bobbing about in the channel for 4 nights but not for 14 at the price we’re paying. It’s so challenging, I hope I don’t have to move it again but I’m not happy to pay that price for little or no ports!

This was our thinking when we changed our Baltic cruise on Arcadia next year to one on Iona going to Portugal and Spain.  We thought that two countries must be easier to cope with than 6 countries. Plus we want to try Iona.

Our next cruise is on Queen Victoria next May, with  all UK ports -  surely that should be straightforward ........ 

• Like 2

Thank you for your review - I have just got back from Iona and will be posting my own review.  I think it's fair to say that I agree with most of what you have said - beautiful ship but definitely lacking the Wow factor I was expecting.  It's only a small thing - but wholly agree with the hairdryer - I always bring my own but as it was packed on the last evening thought i would use theirs - very good!

No drawers is an issue I think - fine for 7 days but struggling a bit for space possibly for longer cruises.

Sounds like you had all the bells and whistles for your entertainment - sadly nothing like the same on our cruise.  Had a lovely time but there were certainly some issues which I wlll reserve for my review.

Can I ask a question about entertainment?  Food and Drink is well covered on the P&O website, and that there are shows in the theatre and aerial acts.

But what of all the rest of typical activities?  What of lectures? On-board choirs? Bridge lessons? Photography courses?   There is a comment that suggests dance lessons are available, but that is it

I can find no mention of any of this sort of thing.

Can you summarise what was available on your trip for people who do not want to spend all day eating, drinking and sunbathing?

31 minutes ago, WestonOne said:

Can I ask a question about entertainment?  Food and Drink is well covered on the P&O website, and that there are shows in the theatre and aerial acts.

But what of all the rest of typical activities?  What of lectures? On-board choirs? Bridge lessons? Photography courses?   There is a comment that suggests dance lessons are available, but that is it

I can find no mention of any of this sort of thing.

Can you summarise what was available on your trip for people who do not want to spend all day eating, drinking and sunbathing?

I think the problem is that Seacations would not be typical of "normal" cruises,  so whatever information you get,  may not be valid for longer cruises. 

13 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I think the problem is that Seacations would not be typical of "normal" cruises,  so whatever information you get,  may not be valid for longer cruises. 

Yes, you are right.

However, it is a Staycation cruise I am interested in, since I will be taking one shortly, so what was available on recent Iona cruises is useful information.

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2021 at 12:45 PM, wowzz said:

You still have to be tested before and after entry to the UK, even from a "green" country. 

I bet they are loving this gravy train.I've just phoned a random pharmacy in Calais and made an appointment on Friday morning for 2 LFT's 25 euro each with a 48hr EU certificate.Bit different from the schiesters here.The 25 euro is set by the government so nobody can profiteer from it.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, WestonOne said:

Yes, you are right.

However, it is a Staycation cruise I am interested in, since I will be taking one shortly, so what was available on recent Iona cruises is useful information.

My friend got home 10 days ago following a 7 day Iona staycation. They had 2 singing sessions during that time, but had to wear masks throughout. I know they attended line dancing most mornings but am not sure if they had to be masked for those. 

• Thanks 2