How was boarding today 8/14 with the new covid testing requirements?

cyclist_guy1

4 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Pure speculation at this point.  It's the requirement now.  And I would be careful about using the 72 hour label.  Carnival is using the 3 day rule meaning anytime during the 3 days immediately prior.

Thanks. But isn't 3 full days equal to 72 full hours? 

From Carnival website:

Fully Vaccinated Guests — New Testing Requirements Effective August 14, 2021

Vaccinated cruises are available for guests who have received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the sailing day and have proof of vaccination.

Fully vaccinated guests must also present the negative results of a COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within three days prior to embarkation. For example, if the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken any time from Wednesday through Friday. Guests may also take the test on the morning of embarkation so long as they are guaranteed to receive their test results before their time of check-in. 

Underlining is mine.  I'm getting tested Wednesday for a Saturday departure.

Edited by ninjacat123

8 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

From Carnival website:

Fully Vaccinated Guests — New Testing Requirements Effective August 14, 2021

Vaccinated cruises are available for guests who have received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the sailing day and have proof of vaccination.

Fully vaccinated guests must also present the negative results of a COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within three days prior to embarkation. For example, if the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken any time from Wednesday through Friday. Guests may also take the test on the morning of embarkation so long as they are guaranteed to receive their test results before their time of check-in. 

Underlining is mine.  I'm getting tested Wednesday for a Saturday departure.

Cool and thanks

11 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

Absolutely NOT.  The 72 hour rule dictates the TIME on Wednesday (for a Saturday departure) one can acceptably test.  That was (and maybe still is) the policy for Hawaii. So if your flight to the islands begins at 3pm, dare not test before that exact time 3 days prior and expect it to be accepted.  Carnival is NOT doing that.  So a test anytime on Wednesday is acceptable for a Saturday boarding. Minor, but very important distinction.

38 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

Do we think that this type of 72 Hour testing will continue? It may possible go away if the Cruise population abides by the onboard rules? 

Thoughts? 

Doubtful, at least for the foreseeable future.  The virus is raging out of control again, especially in the south where there are so many unvaccinated people that it has free reign.  I just can't see Carnival, or any cruise line, not protecting themselves and their bottom line until the situation gets much better.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

ninjacat nailed it. 
You are quite correct that 72 hours = 3 days but here’s the subtlety of the distinction between the two in this case. And it was done so as to benefit all of us, the cruising public.

Here’s a very real example from our departure yesterday.
We had our antigen tests done at a local CVS at 9:20 AM on Wednesday morning (results back within an hour). We checked in at the port in Galveston at 10:30 AM on Saturday and began boarding at 11:30 AM. 
If the rule was 72 hours, we wouldn’t have been able to board as out “test validity” would have expired at 9:20 AM on Saturday. 

A small but VERY important difference. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe817 said:

Bgwest, than you for your detailed analysis of the POG parking lots. I was working off memory of 2 years ago, and I was mistaken. You are correct. The parking garage is a LOT closer to the terminal than in Lot A, where we are to park. Thanks! 

Joe, I found your contribution and observation helpful, not daft.  Combined with bgwest's clarifying map of the garage and parking lot, I can see how some people would choose the $87 and a (free?) shuttle while others would opt for $112 and a short walk to the terminal (both prices for seven days).

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

ninjacat nailed it. 
You are quite correct that 72 hours = 3 days but here’s the subtlety of the distinction between the two in this case. And it was done so as to benefit all of us, the cruising public.

Here’s a very real example from our departure yesterday.
We had our antigen tests done at a local CVS at 9:20 AM on Wednesday morning (results back within an hour). We checked in at the port in Galveston at 10:30 AM on Saturday and began boarding at 11:30 AM. 
If the rule was 72 hours, we wouldn’t have been able to board as out “test validity” would have expired at 9:20 AM on Saturday. 

A small but VERY important difference. 

I hope you get to try JiJis for dinner one night if you like that kind of food. 

4 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Joe, I found your contribution and observation helpful, not daft.  Combined with bgwest's clarifying map of the garage and parking lot, I can see how some people would choose the $87 and a (free?) shuttle while others would opt for $112 and a short walk to the terminal (both prices for seven days).

Thanks Intreprid. And yes, the shuttle is free. And for me, it saves a lot of energy from walking, which this old fella will need once we get on the ship. 

Since parking is also a topic here - our parking at the port for the Mardi Gras last week was $136. They've gone up steadily over time. The biggest jump was a few years back (not sure if other ports followed suit) when they added on for an extra day. In other words a 3 night cruise would mean a parking fee for 4 days (arrival and departure day - even though it's actually less than three 24 hour periods). A 7 night cruise means you're paying for 8 days of parking.

Still - I don't want to hassle with a shuttle, so I'll pony up.

Tom

8 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Since parking is also a topic here - our parking at the port for the Mardi Gras last week was $136. They've gone up steadily over time. The biggest jump was a few years back (not sure if other ports followed suit) when they added on for an extra day. In other words a 3 night cruise would mean a parking fee for 4 days (arrival and departure day - even though it's actually less than three 24 hour periods). A 7 night cruise means you're paying for 8 days of parking.

Tom

Tom, I'm curious why you didn't just take an Uber/Lyft or taxi to the port?  We're so close, that's what we plan to do next week - it will end up being much cheaper.

11 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

Maybe a Floridian or two can help us all out here? My question is:

Florida has always been a favorite USA location for USA and World travelers and visitors (Cruises, Disney, The Keys, etc.) for decades.

With all of those individuals potentially visiting annually, why would any age eligible Floridian not want to get vaccinated? If nothing else, to protect themselves from the out of State and/or out of Country visitors? 

I am not trying to do anything but understand the current climate in Florida? Many of us will be eventually cruising from Florida. I am really am puzzled.   

Thanks

As a full time resident of Florida, we don't understand the numbers either. Everyone our age (retired seniors) that we know,  has been vaccinated. Without doing a statistical study,  my guess is it is the younger urban population that is skewing the percentages.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cruisemom2 said:

Tom, I'm curious why you didn't just take an Uber/Lyft or taxi to the port?  We're so close, that's what we plan to do next week - it will end up being much cheaper.

This way I don't have to rely on others. I considered having our youngest drop us off and pick us up at the port, but work interfered with that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I hope you get to try JiJis for dinner one night if you like that kind of food. 

Not really our thing but have reservations at the steak place and the Italian place. 
They both appear to be really good. 
Had lunch at the Italian place on embarkation day. 

• Thanks 1

I have no idea how to respond to a specific post so I will just say that John Heald said you do NOT have to worry about the timing of your test.  Anytime on Wednesday for a Saturday sailing is okay. As far as antigen vs. PCR, PCR is more sensitive and is slower result-wise. Antigen is quicker, as in 15 minutes, and will be less sensitive as in many more false negatives. I'm going for antigen...

1 minute ago, Medtech2 said:

I have no idea how to respond to a specific post so I will just say that John Heald said you do NOT have to worry about the timing of your test.  Anytime on Wednesday for a Saturday sailing is okay. As far as antigen vs. PCR, PCR is more sensitive and is slower result-wise. Antigen is quicker, as in 15 minutes, and will be less sensitive as in many more false negatives. I'm going for antigen...

Hit the quote button. 

We boarded Mardi Gras on 8/14. Parking at terminal 3 could not be more convenient, there is a covered walkway from the garage to the terminal. We had our COVID tests Wednesday at cvs and just pulled up the online document at check in. It was no more difficult than precovid check in. Luggage drop off is on the way to parking, very well laid out. 

On 8/15/2021 at 1:33 PM, Bgwest said:

I did exactly the same thing!! CYA

Better to have too much than not enough. 
It occurred to me with my CDC card being hand written, it sure looked like it might be too easy to falsify. That led me to obtain a document from my state health department to have is an official back up.

Hmmmm wondering if I can get that. We are cruising on Sept. 12 for our 50th anniversary. Would hate to be denied boarding.

21 minutes ago, yerdsyerds said:

We boarded Mardi Gras on 8/14. Parking at terminal 3 could not be more convenient, there is a covered walkway from the garage to the terminal. We had our COVID tests Wednesday at cvs and just pulled up the online document at check in. It was no more difficult than precovid check in. Luggage drop off is on the way to parking, very well laid out. 

That's the day we (made space on the ship for you!).

I think, terminally speaking 😄 that they could make one change to improve things there. Right as we were leaving the terminal with our luggage the skies opened up. It was a dash across the road to get into the garage. With all the investment there, why no covered walkway?

Tom

• Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 2:34 PM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Tom

Somebody has to pay for that new terminal…..

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

That's the day we (made space on the ship for you!).

I think, terminally speaking 😄 that they could make one change to improve things there. Right as we were leaving the terminal with our luggage the skies opened up. It was a dash across the road to get into the garage. With all the investment there, why no covered walkway?

Tom

I agree that if it was covered the distance it would have been a much better situation.

1 hour ago, drafterdw said:

Hmmmm wondering if I can get that. We are cruising on Sept. 12 for our 50th anniversary. Would hate to be denied boarding.

I’m in Collin Co. Went to the County Health Dept. 
Filled out a one page form and walked out with the official State of Texas document a few minutes later. 
No charge. 
No idea how other counties are handling similar requests but it sure couldn’t hurt to inquire.