Will we cruise with half full ship ☹️

traceytd

I am getting pretty discouraged. I was checking the number of staterooms still available on my November 20 2021 Enchanted cruise. I would say that only half the balcony and suites are booked and hardly any insides are booked at all.

What does your cruise look like. 
Do you think I will be sailing in November?

🙏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, traceytd said:

I am getting pretty discouraged. I was checking the number of staterooms still available on my November 20 2021 Enchanted cruise. I would say that only half the balcony and suites are booked and hardly any insides are booked at all.

🙏

Looking at the number of available cabins means  nothing. The cruise could be virtually full, but cabins have not yet been allocated.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Looking at the number of available cabins means  nothing. The cruise could be virtually full, but cabins have not yet been allocated.

You think so? I hope hope hope your right. 🙂 I need this cruise so bad. 
Do you mean with people who chose guarantee staterooms? It would have to be a lot of them.

1 hour ago, traceytd said:

🙏

Where can you find out how  many staterooms are available?

Princess has been sailing the Majestic at about 2/3 full. This gives them more room to spread things out. It will probably be the first of the year before they start filling the ships.

You also have no way of knowing how many cabins are booked as guarantees. these may not be assigned until close to sailing. 

If the ship is actually half  full, they will sail that way. better half full than empty.

• Like 4

If the ship is half full consider yourself extremely fortunate. No crowds, no lines, great crew to passenger ratio, and more. I remember we on a transatlantic in 2009 on the Grand. There were less than 1,500 passengers vs. the capacity of 2,600. One of the best cruise experiences we ever had. No crowds anywhere. Everything open as normal. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, dave_k58 said:

Where can you find out how  many staterooms are available?

Do a mock booking to look at available rooms. The problem is that you need to remember that there may be a number of guarantee cabins waiting assignment.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dave_k58 said:

if they sail at a reduced capacity - would that affect what restaurants were open, which bars, hours of operation etc?

We are currently sailing on the Majestic at 75% capacity.

Everything is open with no restrictions. Room service has been prompt.

Ordered breakfast room service for 7:30-8:00 and had it delivered at 7:33.

Perfect!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, traceytd said:

I just don’t want them to cancel 🙂

I would not worry much about that. Plenty of time for them to book cabins yet for No. 20th. Plus remember that they have crew and ports already set so they will sail if allowed, even if capacity is somewhat reduced. After all they started the Majestic at 60%. Relax and have a great cruise. Keep the Enchanted in ship shape for us. We will be on in April.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, traceytd said:

I just don’t want them to cancel 🙂

Neither do I. I don't know where the break even point is on a sailing, but I'm pretty sure it's more cost effective to have half full sailings than no sailings. I suppose they could try canceling some and consolidating into full cruises, but I also suppose they'd get some pretty angry and possibly canceling people if they did that. 

I'm still waiting for my cabin assignment on the Majestic. It will be sometime between now and Sunday morning when I board the ship. The latest I've ever received an assignment was three days before cruises--and both times that was for Alaskan cruises. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, traceytd said:

🙏

We are also on this trip, and just had a major issue come up, which may be related. Within the last day or so, our booking was changed by Princess, and we've been bumped form our specifically and carefully chosen cabin, booked last year, to a worse cabin, farther fwd and with a much smaller balcony. Because the new cabin is technically a higher category, Princess consider it an upgrade, but it's definitely not. Our TA is trying to sort it out with Princess, but I got the impression that the change is due to a re-organization of the passengers due to sailing with reduced capacity. We're waiting to hear back from our TA  as to possible remedies, but I'm not hopeful. Annoying that they chose to wait literally until the day of final payment to drop this on us.

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

We are also on this trip, and just had a major issue come up, which may be related. Within the last day or so, our booking was changed by Princess, and we've been bumped form our specifically and carefully chosen cabin, booked last year, to a worse cabin, farther fwd and with a much smaller balcony. Because the new cabin is technically a higher category, Princess consider it an upgrade, but it's definitely not. 

Did you "tick" the no upgrade box?

11 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Always. Our file always says no upgrade of any kind, even meta. This seems to be a different situation form a simple unwanted upgrade.

In which case I would be as angry as you are.

I wonder if some cabins are being held back for possible quarantine purposes,  but even so, you are right to feel aggrieved  

7 hours ago, dave_k58 said:

if they sail at a reduced capacity - would that affect what restaurants were open, which bars, hours of operation etc?

My experience half capacity everything was open and operational and I expect that would be the situation for current cruises. What Princess did do was close off entire sections of cabins and consolidated passengers to cabins on certain decks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skynight said:

My experience half capacity everything was open and operational and I expect that would be the situation for current cruises. What Princess did do was close off entire sections of cabins and consolidated passengers to cabins on certain decks.

Which is exactly what happened to us. Had the new cabin been a true upgrade we would be fine with it, but this new cabin is a standard balcony cabin with the postage stamp-sized balcony, while our original cabin had a larger balcony.

• Like 1