Will we cruise with half full ship ☹️

traceytd

2 hours ago, lx200gps said:

We are also on this trip, and just had a major issue come up, which may be related. Within the last day or so, our booking was changed by Princess, and we've been bumped form our specifically and carefully chosen cabin, booked last year, to a worse cabin, farther fwd and with a much smaller balcony. Because the new cabin is technically a higher category, Princess consider it an upgrade, but it's definitely not. Our TA is trying to sort it out with Princess, but I got the impression that the change is due to a re-organization of the passengers due to sailing with reduced capacity. We're waiting to hear back from our TA  as to possible remedies, but I'm not hopeful. Annoying that they chose to wait literally until the day of final payment to drop this on us.

I would hate that unless they upgraded me to a suite. I’m in an angled balcony which is larger than a regular one. 
I hope you get your stateroom back.

see you an the ship.

🙂😎

10 minutes ago, traceytd said:

i tried to find where to tick the “no upgrade” box but can’t find it. Can you tell me where to find it please.

🙂

There really isn't a no upgrade box you can access. Princess or your travel agent has to put that in your record.

On 8/17/2021 at 8:55 AM, traceytd said:

I am getting pretty discouraged. I was checking the number of staterooms still available on my November 20 2021 Enchanted cruise. I would say that only half the balcony and suites are booked and hardly any insides are booked at all.

What does your cruise look like. 
Do you think I will be sailing in November?

🙏

On 8/17/2021 at 4:58 PM, lx200gps said:

We are also on this trip, and just had a major issue come up, which may be related. Within the last day or so, our booking was changed by Princess, and we've been bumped form our specifically and carefully chosen cabin, booked last year, to a worse cabin, farther fwd and with a much smaller balcony. Because the new cabin is technically a higher category, Princess consider it an upgrade, but it's definitely not. Our TA is trying to sort it out with Princess, but I got the impression that the change is due to a re-organization of the passengers due to sailing with reduced capacity. We're waiting to hear back from our TA  as to possible remedies, but I'm not hopeful. Annoying that they chose to wait literally until the day of final payment to drop this on us.

I am on the same sailing as both of you.  On our sailing's thread we are trying to get people to sign up for a M&G.  Both of you would be welcome.  traceytd is already on our thread so lx200gps why not come join us?     

I looked at my Sept 30 sailing and huge blocks of cabins show up as green in a mock booking. It looks like there are more then 50% available. I don't believe that so many people took a gty. I am way past final payment so  I believe we will sail with a greatly reduced capacity. Imagine not having to get to the theatre 45 minutes early to see the first show. I also think the resurgence of the covid and it's variants are causing many people to wait to cruise until the pandemic is more controlled.

My cruise is this Sunday on the Majestic. I received my cabin assignment this afternoon, and others on our roll call also reported receiving theirs. From my looking at the available cabins, there seems to be a little more than 400 available right now. That would mean having around 2,750 passengers on my cruise. It will be interesting to hear when the Captain's Circle rep tells us the numbers at the party next Thursday night if this works out to be true. At double occupancy, the Majestic holds 3,560. 

We're the second cruise on the Majestic where they're requiring everyone have a negative Covid test within three days of the cruise. (I had mine at CVS this afternoon. It was quick and easy.) That could also end up reducing the number on board if anyone tests positive.

6 hours ago, caribill said:

Did you get a free upgrade?

Yes, I received a slight upgrade. It was from the lowest category of inside cabin to the highest. It's a great location, just a few cabins away from the central stairs/elevators on the Dolphin Deck. If I had picked out this cabin initially, it would have cost me $1,000 more. There's no way it's worth that much more. That's one reason I don't mind taking a chance by booking guarantees. That said, we had a great cruise one time when we were in the most forward inside cabin on the Sun Princess. We could really feel the seas in that cabin, and I loved it.

In all our years, we've only had one bad experience booking a guarantee. That was an "upgrade" from an obstructed view guarantee to a supposedly unobstructed one. Cabin P201 on the Caribbean Princess really needs to be categorized as obstructed, though. It's at the bow of the ship and has a recessed port hole. It's also narrower than most other cabins. There was only room for one nightstand, and my side of the bed was pushed up against the wall. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/17/2021 at 7:55 AM, traceytd said:

I am getting pretty discouraged. I was checking the number of staterooms still available on my November 20 2021 Enchanted cruise. I would say that only half the balcony and suites are booked and hardly any insides are booked at all.

What does your cruise look like. 
Do you think I will be sailing in November?

🙏

We just went on MSC out of Miami. 1197 onboard, capacity 5,500. It was awesome. I've seen about the same across various lines, 20-50% max. I'm more worried about the ships coming from the UK and a 14 day quarantine period like other lines are experiencing. Sailing Regal as it ARRIVES from the UK on Nov 17. Sailing up to 50% should be the norm until after the year's end. I would not worry about the line canceling. 

• Like 1

What is wrong with sailing on a half empty ship as opposed to an over crowded full ship.  As far as I am concerned, the fewer number of passengers the better.  Good for me; bad for the cruise line but that is their problem and I don't care about their problems.

DON

1 hour ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

Just got off the Celebrity Summit with a total of 300 passengers (capacity is over 2k). It was great!  All venues were open and we sometimes had the pool to ourselves. They only had one showtime each night instead of two but we don’t go to the shows anyway. 

Somehow I think we'll have more that 300 for our New Years cruise on the Summit. Fingers crossed she sails.

3 hours ago, navychop said:

Somehow I think we'll have more that 300 for our New Years cruise on the Summit. Fingers crossed she sails.

We also sailed out of St. Maarten instead of Florida. 

What about the mask requirement? Do you think that will deter people?  We have a back to back in December on the Sky and would love a half empty ship!

On 8/17/2021 at 7:52 AM, dave_k58 said:

Where can you find out how  many staterooms are available?

Do a mock booking & look at how many staterooms you see available. You could count the staterooms available on each deck if you wanted an exact number. 

If you do check deck by deck please post what you find & for what cruise. 

Tom😀

5 hours ago, gvre said:

Just got off the Majestic we had about 1800

The next cruise was 2500 for a ship that hold about 3800 and a crew of about 1400

It was great

We were on this sailing too.  Absolutely loved the low passenger count.  Lots of room on the ship and in port!  

• Like 1