Vaccine Requirement Extended

jpc763

22 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

The e-mail clearly states unvaccinated children will not be allowed on the cruise.  If people can't take self-responsibility for their situation (and I agree...they'll show up at the port with "that dumb look" on their faces) it's their problem.

I agree to a certain extent.  Absolutely read and re-read everything from NCL and understand your responsibilities. But I sure hope NCL follows up with something more than that email to make sure cruisers with children under 12 know all of their options.  Otherwise, NCL has failed in my opinion.  We cruise on Jan 2 out of Miami on the Encore with 1 child who is under 12.  We'll be watching closely.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

I hope so too, the kids need some protection 

There's a very good chance the vaccines will not be approved for under 12.  From what I have seen, Moderna, Pfizer, etc have not even submitted trial data for under 12.

• Like 1

Just now, johnoj said:

There's a very good chance the vaccines will not be approved for under 12.  From what I have seen, Moderna, Pfizer, etc have not even submitted trial data for under 12.

I mean, that is unfortunate, but if enough adults got the vaccine, they would have protection from the herd

As it stands, I feel like if kids cannot be vaccinated, it's too risky for them to cruise. Imagine if a child got sick and died from Covid on a cruise, not only would that be tragic, but the press would be relentless. 

I think NCL's extension is a great thing! Yeah it sucks for people with kids but 2020-2021 is just one huge "it sucks" so idk what to say beyond that. 

• Like 10

Does the cancellation policy allow you to cancel within 15 days of 12/31?  The website states: Yes, if a guest had an active reservation as of April 5, 2021 for a cruise with a vaccination requirement (all sailings through October 31, 2021), or an active reservation as of August 18, 2021 for a cruise vaccination requirement (currently all sailings through December 31, 2021), and the guest is unable to comply; the guest will be permitted to apply the full value of all amounts paid to a new future cruise credit or, at their discretion, be provided a cash refund in an amount equal to their original cash payment by visiting www.ncl.com/case-submission. Refund amount will be subject to Norwegian's cancellation fee policy communicated to our guests at time of booking and can be found on our website www.ncl.com/about/cancellation-fee-schedule.

But I noticed the last sentence mentions the fee schedule (in a link) which in many instances talks about 61 days?   Definitely confusing.  We have a cruise scheduled on Jan 2 and we know at this point it could ver well get swept up in a move to further extend the vaccination requirements.  Just trying to get out ahead of this and figure out my options.

It seems to me having a reservation prior to Aug 18 allows me to essentially cancel within 15 days for a FCC or refund.

5 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

I mean, that is unfortunate, but if enough adults got the vaccine, they would have protection from the herd

As it stands, I feel like if kids cannot be vaccinated, it's too risky for them to cruise. Imagine if a child got sick and died from Covid on a cruise, not only would that be tragic, but the press would be relentless. 

I think NCL's extension is a great thing! Yeah it sucks for people with kids but 2020-2021 is just one huge "it sucks" so idk what to say beyond that. 

Yep, I get why they're doing it.  But when does it end?  A kid under 12 is more likely to get it at school with unknown vaccination rates than on a cruise with around 95% vaccination like DCL, Carnival, etc.  So, not sure I totally agree but I can understand the hesitancy.  We'll likely have to get a refund and move to a different cruise line or just go to a resort.  Bummer. We do like NCL.

10 minutes ago, johnoj said:

Yep, I get why they're doing it.  But when does it end?  A kid under 12 is more likely to get it at school with unknown vaccination rates than on a cruise with around 95% vaccination like DCL, Carnival, etc.  So, not sure I totally agree but I can understand the hesitancy.  We'll likely have to get a refund and move to a different cruise line or just go to a resort.  Bummer. We do like NCL.

cruises are different from a school tho. Like cruiselines have to deal with  unfair press and a different set of standards. So yeah, it is unfortunate but after being on pause for so long and so easy to get shut down again, I think it is the correct path and people who want to cruise NCL with kids will have to find other options

10 minutes ago, johnoj said:

Considering it's "more likely" for an unvaccinated kid to get covid at school...it's an even better reason to not allow them on the ship!

NCL...please keep your requirements the strictest at sea.

• Like 11

1 minute ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Considering it's "more likely" for an unvaccinated kid to get covid at school...it's an even better reason to not allow them on the ship!

Yep, if I had kids, I would have to make the hard decision to keep them home and get them a tutor. It's really unfortunately dangerous out there for kiddos right now 😞

1 minute ago, aubreyc1988 said:

cruises are different from a school tho. Like cruiselines have to deal with  unfair press and a different set of standards. So yeah, it is unfortunate but after being on pause for so long and so easy to get shut down again, I think it is the correct path and people who want to cruise NCL with kids will have to find other options

Yep, I get the business side of it.  I just don't get the 'science' side of it thus the comparisons to school, DCL, etc.  The whole NCL 'follow the science' seems weird when other lines are doing just fine with kids on board.  But NCL can do what they feel they need to do and I'll respect their decision.  I just may need to go elsewhere unfortunately.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

That's why you test and only board with negative results.  Just like Carnival, Royal, DCL and the list goes on.  I have no problem with NCL doing what they think is best for their company, but there really isn't any 'science' to prove it's any safer.

• Like 1

Just now, johnoj said:

Yep, I get the business side of it.  I just don't get the 'science' side of it thus the comparisons to school, DCL, etc.  The whole NCL 'follow the science' seems weird when other lines are doing just fine with kids on board.  But NCL can do what they feel they need to do and I'll respect their decision.  I just may need to go elsewhere unfortunately.

NCL is following recommendations from the SailSafe Panel, according to them. I can't speak to what other cruiselines are doing with their different set of rules, but if NCL is really following their panel, then they are trying to "Follow the science" by following the advice of many well known medical professionals. 

Just now, johnoj said:

That's why you test and only board with negative results.  Just like Carnival, Royal, DCL and the list goes on.  I have no problem with NCL doing what they think is best for their company, but there really isn't any 'science' to prove it's any safer.

it's definitely safer having 100% vaccination onboard than 95%. Yes, vaccinated people can get covid and spread it, but if they are only spreading it to vaccinated people, the likelihood of breakthrough cases is less than if there is spread among unvaccinated guests. 

How much safer, no idea, but I would say most experts would agree that sailing 100% vaccination is safer than 95% 

• Like 4

@johnojYou have options.  If NCL doesn't suit your needs there are plenty of other vacations/cruises available to you.  It doesn't make sense for you to keep your current NCL reservation with so many other ships sailing out of Miami.  Less stress for you...for sure!

"We" opt to cruise on a 100% vaccination required  ship.  NCL fills our needs.

• Like 5

Just now, MsTabbyKats said:

@johnojYou have options.  If NCL doesn't suit your needs there are plenty of other vacations/cruises available to you.  It doesn't make sense for you to keep your current NCL reservation with so many other ships sailing out of Miami.  Less stress for you...for sure!

"We" opt to cruise on a 100% vaccination required  ship.  NCL fills our needs.

Agreed.  We love the Haven though.  It's a tough decision.  Based on what appears to be a relaxed cancellation policy now though I think we can safely watch it a bit to see if they push past 12/31.

2 hours ago, Sam Ting said:

Good. Now If they decide to bypass Florida on the cruises out of New York we are in!

They are already cruising from FL

And this is GREAT news. The more you can mitigate the risk of headlines that there has been a widespread outbreak onboard a ship the better.  

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 4

We are cruising over Thanksgiving and I was prepared to cancel if they didn't mandate 100% vaccines.  Very relieved this mandate happened.  It's unfortunate for those with children, but it is the best decision, IMO, to be able to continue cruising as safely as possible.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Sugar0802 said:

We are cruising over Thanksgiving and I was prepared to cancel if they didn't mandate 100% vaccines.  Very relieved this mandate happened.  It's unfortunate for those with children, but it is the best decision, IMO, to be able to continue cruising as safely as possible.

Agree! Too many kids hospitalized now.

• Like 1

I am in the same boat-Have a cruise on the Encore Nov. 14, 2021 out of Miami and was seriously considering cancelling due to the expiration of the current the 100% vaccine mandated thru  Oct. 31, 2021. So glad they extended the 100% requirement now thru 12/31/21. I want so much to hopefully cruise safely again and also hope masks will still not be required while cruising.

• Like 1

I'm not surprised to see this and feel much better about cruising at Christmas with NCL.   I am not a parent, but I did take my nieces and nephews on a Disney Christmas Cruise a few years ago and the kids still say it was their favorite Christmas vacation.  It's a great option for those who are canceling NCL.

And yes, I do know it costs more.

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

However, if a kid gets it at school, easy to just quarrantine at home.  Not so easy (and expensvie) to do so at sea and then sent whole family back to home from who knows where.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnoj said:

What's the basis of your statement that "there's a very good chance the vaccines will not be approved for under 12" ?

Per this article published today Pfizer expects to have its data ready to apply to the FDA for EUA for 5 to 11 year-olds by the end of September. Based on previous experience with this vaccine it hasn't taken long after application is made to receive the EUA.

Moderna looks like they won't be ready until year's end.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/08/18/1027035486/covid-vaccine-children-under-12-your-questions-answered

31 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

What's the basis of your statement that "there's a very good chance the vaccines will not be approved for under 12" ?

Per this article published today Pfizer expects to have its data ready to apply to the FDA for EUA for 5 to 11 year-olds by the end of September. Based on previous experience with this vaccine it hasn't taken long after application is made to receive the EUA.

Moderna looks like they won't be ready until year's end.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/08/18/1027035486/covid-vaccine-children-under-12-your-questions-answered

Thanks for posting.  Good information that looks more updated than what I was looking at even just weeks ago.  But I'm seeing October or later now on some articles too.  Looks like Moderna is the furthest away from under 12 since they are still pending even for 16.  Pfizer could be close if they can submit by October.  Even then it could be months, and even then once again we're dealing with EU not full FDA.  It will be interesting to see the timing since it took about 5 months after the vaccines were introduced to give just one of them the OK for 12+.  I'll try and find that article I read back in the June timeframe that questioned the submission and trials and whether or not a vaccine might ever be approved for 12 and under.