USA Today reporting tests hard to find

Titan_Cruiser

Yes, its gotten nearly impossible to find tests in my area as well.  Plus, wait times to get back PCR tests are increasing (I took one about 2 weeks ago, was told 24 hour turn around, it was actually 3 days as the back-up from Delta was starting).

My first cruise back is a week away from yours; hopefully Delta has peaked and testing becomes  more available again.,

I've been monitoring the CVS pharmacies near me that do the rapid test, they all take reservations up to two weeks out and at the moment they all are booked for the next 4 days. Fingers crossed.  

Unfortunately the situation with people booking multiple appointments "just to be safe" is going to create a shortage of testing options for everyone else just like those who hoarded toilet paper early in the pandemic helped create that shortage.

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Titan_Cruiser said:

This is my worry for my Oct 31 Magic cruise. will I be able to find a test to take 3 days before boarding? 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/as-the-delta-variant-rages-across-the-us-its-getting-harder-to-find-covid-19-tests/ar-AANx9iZ?li=BBnb7Kz

We are on the same cruise…did not know testing was such an issue. Now I’m looking for availability around me as well. My son and I also have a September (quick) 4 day on the Sunrise, I better get on the ball and start making plans for testing!

Since Walmart is taking appointments months in advance, I went ahead and got on the schedule before my October and December cruises just in case appointments become scarce. I am testing at Walmart and CVS next week ahead of my Mardi Gras cruise.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Titan_Cruiser said:

This is my worry for my Oct 31 Magic cruise. will I be able to find a test to take 3 days before boarding? 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/as-the-delta-variant-rages-across-the-us-its-getting-harder-to-find-covid-19-tests/ar-AANx9iZ?li=BBnb7Kz

That's why I bought a 6 pack of the kits from emed.com, security and convenience 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Titan_Cruiser said:

I probably missed something but I thought the at home test was not acceptable to Carnival. 

it depends on the test. if the test is verified via telehealth service then it can be used on carnival.

2 hours ago, TravelBluebird said:

Yes, its gotten nearly impossible to find tests in my area as well.  Plus, wait times to get back PCR tests are increasing (I took one about 2 weeks ago, was told 24 hour turn around, it was actually 3 days as the back-up from Delta was starting).

My first cruise back is a week away from yours; hopefully Delta has peaked and testing becomes  more available again.,

Wouldn't the 3 day turnaround defeats the purpose...?

3 hours ago, dlbaqua said:

I'm getting concerned about my Sept 9th cruise. CVS here is taking appointments a week out so hopefully I can get one.

I've said this on a couple of other threads but better to be safe than sorry - please consider researching a Plan B in advance. CVS cancelled our rapid antigen appointments in the Richmond, VA two days before the scheduled date. we had booked two weeks in advance and scrambled to find available appointments elsewhere (Walgreens 25 minutes away).

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, newpherchris said:

I've said this on a couple of other threads but better to be safe than sorry - please consider researching a Plan B in advance. CVS cancelled our rapid antigen appointments in the Richmond, VA two days before the scheduled date. we had booked two weeks in advance and scrambled to find available appointments elsewhere (Walgreens 25 minutes away).

This is my concern. You can make appointments and try to be prepared but if the day arrives and they don't have any tests then you are out of luck. It just seems like a big gamble. Between the cruise cost, flights, hotel, transfers, and coordinating vacation from work there are a lot of ducks to line up for it to all hinge on a simple test that may or may not be available. Luckily I have 10 weeks until we sail so hopefully things will peak soon and be better before late October. If I was scheduled to cruise in Sept I would be very concerned. 

4 hours ago, Titan_Cruiser said:

Testing is available everywhere. We will be getting ours at our local Walgreens. You go to Walgreens web site and schedule the test. You drive up to the window, show them your ID. They hand you the swab and container. You swab each nostril and put it in the container. In a few hours you have your results. Do not believe everything you read. So bogus just to scare people.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, newpherchris said:

And there is the problem of people booking multiple tests means there are less appointments available for others.

• Like 3

I work for a business that requires weekly testing if not vaccinated. Cost is not covered by insurance. They are very specific on the test required. You cannot work until results come back. If you have to take time off a third time because results are not back, you resign your position. You cannot get unemployment because it is a voluntary termination by you from the job. 

The shortage of tests are going to get much worse soon. 

• Like 1

I cruise Saturday and I ended up having two rapid test appointments at two different CVS locations cancelled before I settled on a PCR test at a neighborhood Walmart (via Quest Diagnostics).  I was worried about the PCR test taking too long, but in my area they say 24 hour turn around.  I went on Wednesday at 11:30 and had the result in my email Thursday morning at 10am.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Testing is available everywhere. We will be getting ours at our local Walgreens. You go to Walgreens web site and schedule the test. You drive up to the window, show them your ID. They hand you the swab and container. You swab each nostril and put it in the container. In a few hours you have your results. Do not believe everything you read. So bogus just to scare people.

Testing is not available everywhere.  The nearest CVS that does rapid testing is an hour away from me.  The nearest Walgreens that does rapid testing is about an hour and a half away. 

• Like 2

It was a struggle to get tested here. The Walgreens was only offering the PCR test with no guarantee of when you would get results. The rapid tests were reserved for people who were exposed or showing symptoms. Quest randomly canceled my husband’s test.   

According to the Walgreens I called, they have been running out of supplies.