Princess extends COVID protocols for USA based sailings until December 31st

CineGraphic

4 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Seriously misleading headline. What was Carnival supposed to do? Stay in port until she got well or died?

Keep her on the ship which isn't an appropriate location for a seriously ill person?

The article doesn't mention "abandoned", only the eye-grabbing headline.👎

The author actually states "abandoned" a few times. Which I agree, they did not do. But isn't this lawyers blog always inflammatory?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, flutprop said:

The author actually states "abandoned" a few times. Which I agree, they did not do. But isn't this lawyers blog always inflammatory?

Yes.  He sues cruise lines for a living.  

Carnival had a duty to all the other guest on board to remove the unfortunate lady from the ship and a duty to continue on the cruise they paid for.  Besides, she was in a Belize hospital, not just dumped on the pier with her suitcase while the crew waved bye bye.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jadn13 said:

I think many of these protocols are here to stay, unfortunately.

Taking your shoes off at airports in the US is still a thing and it's just a protocol we got use  to- Unless you have TSA precheck

I have a feeling some of these new protocols will be kept for the long haul.

courtesy of the fellow that had a bomb built into his tennis shoes

• Like 1

This news isn't a surprise, but if extended further (likely) it makes our January 4th sailing challenging.

January 1 seems an unlikely date for a COVID test.

January 2 virtually no testing in our area on Sunday's.  

January 3 is our planned travel day to reach the pier, I'd hate to leave home with fingers crossed that results arrive by the time we wake up in Los Angeles the morning of boarding but if necessary . . .

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, wrongwaywatson said:

I don't mind the vaccinate requirement or the testing, but I hate the masking requirement.

I have decided to adjust my attitude toward masks.  I don't like them (it turns out I can't walk and wear a mask at the same time) but since I'm stuck, I'm becoming a mask fashionista.  I have bought some new ones to match my outfits, including a pink sparkly one for formal night.  If I have to wear the darned thing, it should at least be cute! 😁

• Like 8

6 hours ago, jondfk said:

This news isn't a surprise, but if extended further (likely) it makes our January 4th sailing challenging.

January 3 is our planned travel day to reach the pier, I'd hate to leave home with fingers crossed that results arrive by the time we wake up in Los Angeles the morning of boarding but if necessary . . .

CVS, Walgreens, airports will all be open for rapid tests.  I wouldn't take a chance with a PCR regular test.  Labs will be closed, courier service maybe be sketchy.  Maybe Princess will have more in place?  Can always hope.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kay S said:

I have decided to adjust my attitude toward masks.  I don't like them (it turns out I can't walk and wear a mask at the same time) but since I'm stuck, I'm becoming a mask fashionista.  I have bought some new ones to match my outfits, including a pink sparkly one for formal night.  If I have to wear the darned thing, it should at least be cute! 😁

Also check airline requirements if you have to take a flight. Some are now saying no cloth masks and specify what is acceptable 

On 8/20/2021 at 11:15 PM, 007colocruz said:

Does not make sense to me 

For the health of all, I wish that smoking was only outside or in Churchill’s.

i can’t see anyone smoking WITH a mask on!

• Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 9:08 PM, CineGraphic said:

This should be a good reminder to anyone cruising.  First that she was over 65, so on Medicare.  Medicare and many supplements do NOT cover you outside of the US.  Secondly, she got sick on the 4th day so most likely she caught it prior to boarding.  And very important, if you are on a cruise ship they are not equipped like a hospital and will put you in a port hospital - we have known one person this happened to and another who barely missed being put off a ship with an injury.  Another thing to note, is to give medical power of attorney to a travel mate if you are not traveling with a spouse, otherwise you are left to the medical staff.  

Obviously if the woman needed to be put off the ship to be put on a ventilator. It seems that maybe the new protocols of having to have a negative test before boarding will help alleviate a case like this. 

• Like 2

We have MedJet insurance in addition. It is very reasonable. $365 covers both of us for a full year ( multiple trips). It takes over if you are admitted to a foreign hospital and airlifts you home ( with doctors care) to any hospital you want. Friends of ours used it in Peru and said it was fantastic. My friend made one phone call and they took over and got her husband home and dealt with all the red tape. 

• Like 1

We are booked on a cruise departing LA on Saturday,  November 27, 2021 which is part of Thanksgiving Weekend.  If health facilities are closed how much leeway time do you think Princess will allow us to get Covid tested and results within their required 72 hour window?  

Thanks for responses.  

53 minutes ago, grandmaa said:

We are booked on a cruise departing LA on Saturday,  November 27, 2021 which is part of Thanksgiving Weekend.  If health facilities are closed how much leeway time do you think Princess will allow us to get Covid tested and results within their required 72 hour window?  

Thanks for responses.  

I believe you can get your test done as early as possible Wednesday morning ... that's about as much leeway as they will probably give you.  I know that some airports have rapid PCR testing with tons of appointments available throughout the whole year (although with an associated cost).  Maybe you could investigate that option.  

2 hours ago, grandmaa said:

Thanks for responses.  

It wouldn't hurt to ask Princess if they are considering another day leeway around the year-end holidays.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, jondfk said:

Get one of the self-done rapid tests that they monitor via video call

• Like 2

On 8/21/2021 at 3:14 PM, Kay S said:

Yes.  He sues cruise lines for a living.  

Carnival had a duty to all the other guest on board to remove the unfortunate lady from the ship and a duty to continue on the cruise they paid for.  Besides, she was in a Belize hospital, not just dumped on the pier with her suitcase while the crew waved bye bye.  

Hmmm..Although I have no reason to believe all of this is true in the article--why is this Cruise Law website the ONLY place I can see this on the internet? One would think the media would be ALL over this. Quite odd...

🤷‍♀️

15 minutes ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

Hmmm..Although I have no reason to believe all of this is true in the article--why is this Cruise Law website the ONLY place I can see this on the internet? One would think the media would be ALL over this. Quite odd...

🤷‍♀️

Some YouTubers picked it up.

10 hours ago, jwattle said:

Get one of the self-done rapid tests that they monitor via video call

Can you explain more about this option.

Is it accepted by Princess?

How do we know it's a legit site?

I had planned on going to the airport for the rapid test. 

However, we are going to run into the Thanksgiving weekend returns. 

14 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

We have MedJet insurance in addition. It is very reasonable. $365 covers both of us for a full year ( multiple trips). It takes over if you are admitted to a foreign hospital and airlifts you home ( with doctors care) to any hospital you want. Friends of ours used it in Peru and said it was fantastic. My friend made one phone call and they took over and got her husband home and dealt with all the red tape. 

Price is not so good for those who have reached age 75.

5 hours ago, caribill said:

Price is not so good for those who have reached age 75.

I am 74 and my husband is 76 . He needs the doctor to fill out a form, I don’t. With things the way they are and that we don’t want to stop traveling , the few dollars extra don’t matter

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hugger said:

Can you explain more about this option.

Is it accepted by Princess?

How do we know it's a legit site?

I had planned on going to the airport for the rapid test. 

However, we are going to run into the Thanksgiving weekend returns. 

One is Abbott Binax Now. It is acceptable by Princess. Print out the Princess qualifications and then use those when getting your test at the store or online in advance. The Abbott Binax has a twelve month shelf life. Several of the self administered, monitored tests are sold at CVS/ Walgreens, etc., so you can buy it beforehand and have it with you, do it when you choose. 🙂

Edited by jwattle
  • Like 3

100 percent vaccinations AND testing seems like belt and suspenders to me.  Watch the numbers and see who is being hospitalized and dying from Covid.  Those who are not vaccinated!

If we continue to panic every time someone tests positive for a Covid and/or its variants, we will never get out from under the thumb of the CDC and return to normal.

The more venues and activities that require proof of vaccination to participate the better.  Those who refuse the vaccine should be required to ring a bell and yell Unclean, Unclean.  (sarcasm alert)

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

I am 74 and my husband is 76 . He needs the doctor to fill out a form, I don’t. With things the way they are and that we don’t want to stop traveling , the few dollars extra don’t matter

It has been a while since I checked, but the few dollars extra were almost twice the price of those under age 75 for an annual contract.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jwattle said:

One is Abbott Binax Now. It is acceptable by Princess.

But is essentially unavailable since the manufacturer destroyed most of its inventory and stopped its manufacture.  The company is scrambling to restart production.

https://www.fiercebiotech.com/medtech/as-covid-surges-yet-again-abbott-responds-to-report-it-destroyed-old-diagnostic-tests