Oasis Test Cruise begins when Henri arrives...thoughts/concerns?

It appears that Tropical Storm Henri (presently 70 m/h winds and high surge) will arrive in Connecticut area during the period the Oasis starts its boarding protocols. Keep in mind the Oasis departure (still at 6:00 p.m.) on Sunday. Will they still sail on time? If not, then when? And what about all the people who are flying in or for that matter, driving in? Then there is the discussion of low tide versus high tide and clearing the bridge on departure. What are your thoughts and/or concerns?

22 minutes ago, Sigma Cruiser said:

It appears that Tropical Storm Henri (presently 70 m/h winds and high surge) will arrive in Connecticut area during the period the Oasis starts its boarding protocols. Keep in mind the Oasis departure (still at 6:00 p.m.) on Sunday. Will they still sail on time? If not, then when? And what about all the people who are flying in or for that matter, driving in? Then there is the discussion of low tide versus high tide and clearing the bridge on departure. What are your thoughts and/or concerns?

There's no reason that Paxs cannot board and wait it out and still test the protcols.  From all indications  Henri will skirt the  NJ coast and affected by only by ocean surge of about 3 feet and choppyness.  I remember the last cruise from  Bayonne in Sept. '19, our last port was Halifax and hurricane Dorian was headed there.  Anthem left early and docked the night before debarkation.  In essence we slept while docked in Bayonne.

19 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

It's a small storm and it appears any significant impact besides breezy and rain will be far enough east.

Accuweather is calling it a tropical storm now.  Most of the impact will be in the New England area.

I really appreciate all your optimism.  All packed, we have 12:00 boarding time🙏I really wouldn’t mind sitting on the ship overnight if we have to.  We sail in the opposite direction of this stupid Henri, so hoping no worries.  Thanks again for your good thoughts.

Marietta

• Like 4

I wonder if they will be able to get provisions delivered tomorrow or if they can reschedule for today.   Some companies may not want their drivers on the road tomorrow.  It is now a hurricane.   While most deliveries are likely to be local, some may come from Long Island.   Best wishes to all who are traveling.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, HerWorshipfullness said:

It has strengthened to a hurricane 🌀, you will probably hang out on the ship and head out after it passes. 

🍹 Hope everyone has a fun and safe trip!!! 🍹

I'm about 25 minutes south of  Bayonne and it's still Tropical Storm warnings.

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

It's a small storm and it appears any significant impact besides breezy and rain will be far enough east.

Were you in the area when super storm sandy hit?  this will have the same punch as sandy.

1 hour ago, gerig said:

Were you in the area when super storm sandy hit?  this will have the same punch as sandy.

Not even close. This is a much weaker and smaller storm than Sandy ( the largest storm by diameter ever on record) and taking a much different path.

Edited by smokeybandit

1 hour ago, gerig said:

4 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

2 hours ago, HerWorshipfullness said:

It has strengthened to a hurricane 🌀, you will probably hang out on the ship and head out after it passes. 

🍹 Hope everyone has a fun and safe trip!!! 🍹

1 hour ago, gerig said:

Bandit knows all, it will just be a few raindrops, nothing to worry about.

Full Moons this weekend won't help matters either with the high tides. What about that Bandit, any info about that.

May be best to board the ship as scheduled and just bob up and down in the Hudson all night and not go past the bridge until the next day and then go out to sea.

Also would be worried about leaving car on a ground parking lot too, if they get the flooding that is projected around that area.

Free cruise or not, may be better to just skip it.

Edited by Jimbo

47 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Yes, I was. Hunkered down in my basement as Sandy passed 90 miles north of me. 

Henri ain't no Sandy for NYC

Well I live on Long Island which had so much damage.  The winds are expected to be as bad and with the storm surge with full moon it is expected to be quite dangerous and damaging.  I hope not but better to be prepared.

4 minutes ago, gerig said:

Well I live on Long Island which had so much damage.  The winds are expected to be as bad and with the storm surge with full moon it is expected to be quite dangerous and damaging.  I hope not but better to be prepared.

Long Island may have issues, especially eastern.  NYC shouldn't.