Best strategy for cancelling our family reunion cruise

Carla3

We have a family reunion cruise on Dec 29 2021 to Mexico. It’s seem highly unlikely now that we will all be able to go. We are Canadians and have family members who have the mixed does (AZ and Moderna) kids under the age of 12 who are unvaccinated. We are thinking of pushing out the cruise date to February 2022 and hope that this gives us enough time to get “things” sorted out. Here’s my question. Do we make final payment before September 30th and then cancel so that we can receive a bonus in FCC to use towards the new sailing date? I’m not even sure Princess is offering a bonus FCC now if you cancel your sailing. There is a tiny chance we might be able to sail as it’s my understanding that Oct31st there is another update about kids sailing so in that case I’d like to keep my original booking! The February sailings are more expensive than my original booking and cabins less desirable so it’s a really bummer.

I don’t think there are any bonus FCC for cruises cancelled by passengers.  

Based on what you mention in your post a good option for you is to have your bookings moved to a later sailing date.  This is very easy to do-  you just let your TA or Princess know the new voyage date and your deposit transfers to the newly selected voyage.  Once the sailing date is moved keep your eye out for price drops so you can ask for cruise to be refared (although your TA is probably watching for you).

Also, as a side note, did you have your TA set your family up as a “group”?   If not that’s worth asking about.  

( disclaimer: I am not sure if there are different rules/policies for Canadian travelers but hope this info is helpful)

Edited by Shelly97060
  • Like 3

We are also booked on the same cruise with a family group, which includes our 7 yr old granddaughter.  I have been told by a Princess Rep that if kids under 12 are not able to get vaccinated by the time final payment is due, all families booked with kids under 12 will have their cruises cancelled by Princess prior to making their final payments.

You may want to call Princess and confirm this information.    

• Like 2

It breaks my heart that you may have to cancel your family cruise.  My best memories are cruises with all the kids and grandkids and assorted in-laws.  We have taken our grandchildren with us (just the two of us) on many cruises.  (My goal has always been that they should know the world is bigger than the town they live in.)  The older ones are now teens and have been vaccinated, but the little one still can't go.  She learned to walk up and down a long ship hallway, and she was cruising even before that.  I think the thing I miss most about cruising is that special time with my babies.  (BTW, even the teenagers will act like they know you in public and look up from their phones to talk to you!)

Of course, I am no help with your immediate problem, but I just want you to know how sad I am about all of this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kay S said:

It breaks my heart that you may have to cancel your family cruise. 

Btw, if our kids and granddaughter are cancelled because of the vaccine issue, we are still going!  Our kids have made a land-based back-up plan...

• Like 1

Princess offered me a move over since my cruise was cancelled.  Same category/same price.

All you can do is call and ask.  Maybe they will offer you a move over to 2022 instead of you cancelling out.  Explain to them:

That it is a family reunion.  

That is was booked before the new no children protocols.

That you really would like to do this with Princess.

I would by-pass the call center and send an email directly to customer service.

I'm sure someone out there has an email contact address.

COVID-19 Guest Protocols

Updated August 20, 2021

Princess' CruiseHealth protocols and procedures have been designed to maximize the health and safety of our guests and crew while delivering a memorable vacation experience. Below are the measures currently planned for the vaccinated cruises sailing from the United States through December 31, 2021. View frequently asked questions for these vaccinated cruises from the United States.

From

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/covid-19-guest-protocols/

So no unvaccinated from the US this year. Hopefully the children’s vaccine will be approved soon. I would ask if they are price matching on the replacement cruise. They have been doing that in other cases when bookings have to be changed thru no fault of the pax. It would be reasonable in your case to expect that. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 1

One solution would be to forget about a family reunion cruise and rent a large house somewhere.  For years, we would do that every summer for the entire family and everyone enjoyed themselves.  You don't have to cruise to do a family reunion.

DON

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

if kids under 12 are not able to get vaccinated by the time final payment is due, all families booked with kids under 12 will have their cruises cancelled by Princess

Sad but understandable.  I wonder what happens to her FCC. Can it transfer to me?

23 hours ago, Shelly97060 said:

( disclaimer: I am not sure if there are different rules/policies for Canadian travelers but hope this info is helpful)

Princess treats Canada and USA the same in terms of cruise sales, rules, policies.  Of course, there are specific country travel rules and restrictions that come into play outside Princess' control.