BinaxNow Covid-19 Ag test card review and info

Smmessineo

4 hours ago, turquoisewater said:

Does anybody know if a person can pack the test kits in their carryon luggage or does it have to be in checked luggage?

There is no problem packing them in your carryon. I just got back from Europe and we carried them on airlines and on the cruise ship. In fact, somewhere it says that you should carry them in your carry on bags (maybe an airplane baggage hold is too cold).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Have people here seen the text regarding the FDA authorization through 12/31?  I have to take my test on Jan 1 for my Jan 3 sailing.  I've not seen info anywhere else about the possibility of tests ordered from Optum not being FDA authorized after 12/31.

"By when should I order my home test kit? Do the test kits have an expiration date?

Your test kit should arrive within the three business days that follow your order date. For the best shipping experience, we recommend placing your order at least a full week before the day you plan to take your test. Our current allotment of home test kits is FDA-authorized through December 31, 2021, and can be used any time until that date. We hope to have test kits available for our 2022 cruise guests soon."

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/accepted-covid-tests

7 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Have people here seen the text regarding the FDA authorization through 12/31?  I have to take my test on Jan 1 for my Jan 3 sailing.  I've not seen info anywhere else about the possibility of tests ordered from Optum not being FDA authorized after 12/31.

"By when should I order my home test kit? Do the test kits have an expiration date?

Your test kit should arrive within the three business days that follow your order date. For the best shipping experience, we recommend placing your order at least a full week before the day you plan to take your test. Our current allotment of home test kits is FDA-authorized through December 31, 2021, and can be used any time until that date. We hope to have test kits available for our 2022 cruise guests soon."

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/accepted-covid-tests

That's interesting.  When I go to order the test through a link on the Celebrity website here's what I get.  They say the tests are good at least through February 8, 2022.

image.png.771127e88453f6221d38e99001b52ea0.png

Edited by Ipeeinthepools

Yes that's the expiry of the test.  Since the tests were approved by EUA by the FDA in Dec of 2020 I'm just wondering if there is some issue with the EUA expiring.  They are generally not expected to be in effect for more than a year and be followed by full approval.

It looks like Celebrity may have just inserted confusion with their text.   When ordering the 6 pack directly from eMed you get this text which seems more clear in specifying the FDA approval as the expiry date for the test kit itself.

"The test kits you are about to purchase from eMed have been authorized for use by the FDA at least through February 1, 2022, after which they will expire. It’s possible the test kits you order from eMed may have an expiration date later in February 2022, but we cannot guarantee that. eMed looks forward to offering COVID-19 test kits with longer expiration dates in the near future."

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack?hsLang=en

I guess I got all excited over more poor Celebrity communication.

I have tests leftover from our early Nov sailing. Bought some extras for us (didn't need them) and a couple for my in-laws who decided to go to CVS instead.  Hoping they'll be ok to use for our Jan 29th sailing.  

Or if anyone needs a couple of tests for a sailing this month....

Edited by D C

21 hours ago, turquoisewater said:

Has anyone actually done a Abbott Binax Now home test while sailing?  I am wondering how well the various ship's wifi service will work for doing the test as have an upcoming sailing where I will need to be doing that.

I have not, but I can tell you the stream internet on Apex was awful, and this week on Reflection not much better. IMHO they are really misrepresenting their internet capabilities.  And this is with ships only half full!

4 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

I tried testing today as a test for a future cruise.  Their testing is evidently hosted on a AWS server which is having a widely publicized outage today.  The site says to check back later when they can resume service.

Emed still not working! 

Made last minute Walgreens apts for tomorrow, few openings before our flight. Hoping the ID NOW results come back fast. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Islandhop9 said:

Emed still not working! 

Made last minute Walgreens apts for tomorrow, few openings before our flight. Hoping the ID NOW results come back fast. 

Omg how stressful!!! Thank goodness you found appointments!!