BinaxNow Covid-19 Ag test card review and info

Smmessineo

So after reading through all these threads, I do not recall seeing anything that says that when you order the 6-pack through Emed that the order will be delayed due to having to be verified by a doctor since it is prescribed item. HUH?  I answered the questions given and it stated that I was qualified to purchase.  I continued the purchase, entered my CC info, etc.  Now it is saying it will take 24 hrs to be verified. Anyone else get this?

1 hour ago, grnidlad8 said:

So after reading through all these threads, I do not recall seeing anything that says that when you order the 6-pack through Emed that the order will be delayed due to having to be verified by a doctor since it is prescribed item. HUH?  I answered the questions given and it stated that I was qualified to purchase.  I continued the purchase, entered my CC info, etc.  Now it is saying it will take 24 hrs to be verified. Anyone else get this?

Yes. Took less than 24 hours for approval though. They're technically prescription tests. 

Read whole thread. Did a little digging and found that if you order the:

Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Antigen Card Home Test with eMed Telehealth Services

from Optum through the Carnival or Princess site links, you can only buy in packs of two (@$69.99 + tax for the 2 tests;), so if you want 3 tests, you have to order two packs (@$139.98 + tax for the 4 tests)

CARNIVAL:

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack/?utm_source=carnival&utm_medium=referral&utm_term=&utm_content=2-pack&utm_campaign=travel_ready_covid_test&utm_nooverride=1

PRINCESS (note that this is the same link as Carnival😞

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack/?utm_source=carnival&utm_medium=referral&utm_term=&utm_content=2-pack&utm_campaign=travel_ready_covid_test&utm_nooverride=1

But through the Celebrity site link, you can order 3 tests (@$99.99 + tax for the 3 tests).

CELEBRITY

https://store.optum.com/celebrity-cruises/

I still have a few weeks before we need ours (Oct 30 from LA), so am still looking at other options - but it is not looking better than the Optum//eMed tele-test option. HATE that I only need two tests but must consider buying three in case something is wrong with one of the test kits (as reported by a couple posts earlier in this string)!

Also - just the skeptic in me - interesting that each link informs Optum in regards to whose site you came from (Carnival, Celebrity, etc) - wonder if the cruise lines are getting a commission on these sales (even though the price directly through Optum's web site is the same as via the cruise lines)?

Prescription verification on ordering, but they don't require identifying everyone who will take the test. Got it. Yet another brilliant strategy undermining medical efficiency. "Let's pretend we need a doctor's approval" and then they send it to a signature machine they have named "the doctor."

Edited by mayleeman

On 10/5/2021 at 12:55 PM, D C said:

Just had an Optum/BinaxNOW kit arrive without the security seal.  They're sending a replacement ASAP.   Good reason to order early and/or order extras. 

We did a practice test a couple of weeks ago and I really don't think the monitor was looking that closely at box.  I'm not even sure they could have seen the seal on the box with my phone sitting across the table.  If you didn't say anything, I think you would have been ok.

• 2 weeks later...

Revived our 3 pack yesterday in the advertised time from Optum store. That was the good news. Bad was that they were so smashed  that the ends of each package had popped open and could look in to see the kit, and take the stuff out if desired. The seals on the edge of box were okay. A call too Optum customer service and a new order on the way.

Don't delay if you are getting close to sailing.

And the expiration date was 9/19/21 with a notice that it was extended for 3 months.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/7/2021 at 10:48 AM, CenTexan said:

Also - just the skeptic in me - interesting that each link informs Optum in regards to whose site you came from (Carnival, Celebrity, etc) - wonder if the cruise lines are getting a commission on these sales (even though the price directly through Optum's web site is the same as via the cruise lines)?

Probably, but (1) it's just a few dollars per test, (2) the cruise lines could use the $$$, and (3) the tests don't cost any less if you order direct from Optum or eMed.  I'm OK with it either way.

Ordered the tests as could not find anything local for the Rapid Antigen test. Looked this morning and several local CVS Minute clinics now taking reservations up to 4 days out. Have till mid November for the cruise, so glad to have the tests in hand, but would prefer using local if possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jhagen said:

Ordered the tests as could not find anything local for the Rapid Antigen test. Looked this morning and several local CVS Minute clinics now taking reservations up to 4 days out. Have till mid November for the cruise, so glad to have the tests in hand, but would prefer using local if possible.

We have our Rapid tests ordered through Optum.  But like you, we have an appointment at CVS for our test the Sunday before we sail.  The CVS out here schedules the testing up to 2 weeks in advance.  We feel confident that if CVS cancels our appointments (as some on this site have reported), we will still have time to take the home test.

• Like 1

Completed our testing this morning & it is good we had a backup kit because 1 kit had INVALID test results.  Only the blue control line appeared without any pink lines appearing in the test window after the 15 minute wait.  We were told we would be contacted to replace the kit that did not work properly.

Just now, neverlaysup said:

Quick question....if I buy the tests from OPTUM, does it require 2 tests 36 hours apart or just 1 test?

Thank you, I could not find the information on the OPTUM web site.

One test is good enough.  No need for a confirming test.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Nancycat said:

I am wondering, I am tested 2/week at work, I’m a nurse, would my work rest be sufficient? It is done by another nurse 

That's a very good question.  I haven't seen any reports of anyone who's tried something like this.  I think it could work IF the other nurse can type or write up the paperwork in a form that Celebrity can use with the data they need.  But obviously don't take my word for it.

2 hours ago, Nancycat said:

I am wondering, I am tested 2/week at work, I’m a nurse, would my work [t]est be sufficient? It is done by another nurse.

From the Celebrity Health & Safety FAQs, it appears the nurse could do it but the documentation has to meet certain criteria (and it must be an antigen or molecular PCR test; it cannot be the Abbott at-home test not designated as the monitoring kind). Do you get formal test results for your 2x weeklies? You might show Celeb one of those to see if it would pass muster.

What Type of COVID-19 Tests are Accepted?

If your sailing requires a pre-cruise test, here are some details about the kind of test you’ll need.

Accepted Types of Tests and Results

There are two common types of diagnostic COVID-19 tests and we accept either one: 

A molecular test, also called a PCR test or NAAT test

An antigen test, also called a rapid antigen test

The test must be supervised by a health professional, such as a doctor, pharmacy technician, public health worker, or telehealth representative.

You must receive a valid results document from your test provider that includes provider name, your name, the date the test was taken, type of test, and your negative result. This can be a printed document, email, or telehealth app notification. Handwritten doctor’s notes will not be accepted.

Edited by mayleeman

On 10/15/2021 at 4:06 PM, Honolulu Blue said:

Probably, but (1) it's just a few dollars per test, (2) the cruise lines could use the $$$, and (3) the tests don't cost any less if you order direct from Optum or eMed.  I'm OK with it either way.

All good points.  But I see it a little differently.  I wouldn't need to order these tests if they went back to the 3 day testing requirement, which was changed with no real science to back up the need for a change.  Not only could I avoid the stress of having to test AFTER I get to the port city  (as I fly in 2 days early and tests there are very difficult to schedule then for various reasons, including not having the car needed for drive up tests), but I would be able to get tested for free at home.  True, they aren't up-charging the tests, but if they are getting a discounted rate it would be ethical for them to share some of it with passengers, many of whom have had their own financial struggles due to the pandemic. 

And finally, and possibly most important, by offering this costly alternative, they are avoiding what they really should be doing, which is arranging for reasonably priced testing centers at the pier.  Testing is not likely to be going away anytime soon.  Testing centers should be set up at or near the pier.  I actually put that last thought on the shoulders of the governments of Florida and FLL/MIA as well as the cruise lines.  They want the revenue brought in by cruisers - how about they do something to make it easier for us to actually get on the ship!

Edited by phoenix_dream
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

From the Celebrity Health & Safety FAQs, it appears the nurse could do it but the documentation has to meet certain criteria (and it must be an antigen or molecular PCR test; it cannot be the Abbott at-home test not designated as the monitoring kind). Do you get formal test results for your 2x weeklies? You might show Celeb one of those to see if it would pass muster.

What Type of COVID-19 Tests are Accepted?

If your sailing requires a pre-cruise test, here are some details about the kind of test you’ll need.

Accepted Types of Tests and Results

There are two common types of diagnostic COVID-19 tests and we accept either one: 

A molecular test, also called a PCR test or NAAT test

An antigen test, also called a rapid antigen test

The test must be supervised by a health professional, such as a doctor, pharmacy technician, public health worker, or telehealth representative.

You must receive a valid results document from your test provider that includes provider name, your name, the date the test was taken, type of test, and your negative result. This can be a printed document, email, or telehealth app notification. Handwritten doctor’s notes will not be accepted.

It is the same exact test Celebrity sends, we do fill out a form ,and I administer them as well as other nurses we do each other as we have 100’s / week to do 

I ordered our tests for our upcoming cruise, downloaded the NAVICA app on DH and my phones, and set up our separate accounts. Is there anything else I'll need to do prior to starting the tests (once I've received them obviously)?

On 10/5/2021 at 12:55 PM, D C said:

Just had an Optum/BinaxNOW kit arrive without the security seal.  They're sending a replacement ASAP.   Good reason to order early and/or order extras. 

Wow - your post was at the top of a page and  I know I read it when you posted but normally I just go to the latest.  This made me get up and go check ours - and one of them the security seal was damaged when they put the sleeve on it so I will be contacting Optum right after I post this!   Thank you so much for mentioning to check them!!!

4 minutes ago, johnasmith99 said:

Is it smart to order a 3 pack even though for just two people?  Is it possible one test kit could get messed up so having a spare may be advisable?  I'm always thinking of having backup plans.  

That is why I ordered the three pack, but now my back up may not be viable.  Waiting to hear back from Optum.  My back up plans have back up plans...LOL