BinaxNow Covid-19 Ag test card review and info

Smmessineo

12 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

To be clear: they aren’t running the tests. They have posted a link to one of the online stores where you can buy the tests. 

I hope you have a great TA!

@joetop2467 wasn't referring to the Binax tests. He indicated that for his Apex transatlantic, X is testing everyone at embarkation. So they are in fact running the tests.

21 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

so how does it work with the camera.  Do I for my computer activate the camera first, or does the app do the work.   and what are the steps in order.   like how do I download the app through emed or through Navica. thanks in advance

I hope somebody answers your question as I am wondering the same thing about how the camera gets turned on when you use a laptop.  I am also wondering how you can scan the QR code or if that isn't necessary.  Please help any of you who understand this process.

Some additional shipping and expiration info on the Abbott BinaxNow proctored home tests:

This past Sunday (Sept. 12), we ordered the 6-pack of test kits directly from eMed. Their promised 2-business day delivery was spot on; our kits were delivered by FedEx this morning (Tuesday, Sept. 14).  The original expiration date on the box is Oct. 3, 2021, but I looked up the lot number on line and found an Abbott letter showing that the expiration date is actually Jan. 3, 2022, given the extension they got from the FDA.   

Before we purchased the kits, we noticed that eMed says (in their Refund policy) that the kits they are shipping now have an expiration date as early as December 2021.  I called eMed's customer service to ask exactly what this meant (Dec. 1? Another specific date in December?  All of December?)  I was told that the kits would be good through at least December 2021.  And that's what we got.

Hope this is helpful. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, turquoisewater said:

I hope somebody answers your question as I am wondering the same thing about how the camera gets turned on when you use a laptop.  I am also wondering how you can scan the QR code or if that isn't necessary.  Please help any of you who understand this process.

You shouldn't need to turn on the camera unless you have turned it off by default. See below link for a walk through on the whole process: 

• Like 1

We have several upcoming cruises booked -- one the end of Oct, one the end of  Nov and then another one in March.  I was wondering what the expiration dates were on the eMed tests ordered.  Ordering a 6 pack would cover all three cruises for me and my husband and it is a little less expensive than ordering a two pack each time....but it only makes sense for the 6 pack if the expiration date goes out as far as April 2022.  

What were the expiration dates of the test packages you ordered?

5 minutes ago, Paulette3028 said:

We have several upcoming cruises booked -- one the end of Oct, one the end of  Nov and then another one in March.  I was wondering what the expiration dates were on the eMed tests ordered.  Ordering a 6 pack would cover all three cruises for me and my husband and it is a little less expensive than ordering a two pack each time....but it only makes sense for the 6 pack if the expiration date goes out as far as April 2022.  

I ordered twice from Optum, both were 2 packs. The expiration dates were pushed out to January 5, 2022 for all 4. 

22 minutes ago, Paulette3028 said:

Please see my comment 229, just a few posts above yours, which has the info you are looking for.  Ordering now will not get you expiration dates suitable for your March cruise. 

We did our tests this morning and thought it was an easy process.  Since I wanted to use my laptop and wasn't able to get the Navica app on it, I was able to go to emed's website and connected to Navica that way. I'm not sure if you can do this through Optum.  I had already loaded the app on my phone and did the registration so I had my password to log on.  They check the audio, camera and network before you get started.  When my husband tried to do his after mine, it would only go back to my account so he opened up an incognito window and was able to log on.  It helped using the laptop because it was easy to aim the camera to see both myself and the counter top where the test was.  The only other issue we had was that when I purchased the kits, I must have misspelled his first name on the initial registration so he had to fix it before continuing....ooops! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, MartinsCruise said:

We did our tests this morning and thought it was an easy process.  Since I wanted to use my laptop and wasn't able to get the Navica app on it, I was able to go to emed's website and connected to Navica that way. I'm not sure if you can do this through Optum.  I had already loaded the app on my phone and did the registration so I had my password to log on.  They check the audio, camera and network before you get started.  When my husband tried to do his after mine, it would only go back to my account so he opened up an incognito window and was able to log on.  It helped using the laptop because it was easy to aim the camera to see both myself and the counter top where the test was.  The only other issue we had was that when I purchased the kits, I must have misspelled his first name on the initial registration so he had to fix it before continuing....ooops! 

Optum is  just a reseller.

Its the same e-med kits.

Edited by The_Mac

48 minutes ago, The_Mac said:

Its the same e-med kits.

Thank you for sharing your experience.  It appears that a person could potentially do this while on a cruise ship to prepare for a follow up cruise on a different cruise line.  All you would need is wifi - no phone calling necessary.  Any others have experience with this yet?

Edited by turquoisewater
posted on wrong comment

47 minutes ago, The_Mac said:

Its the same e-med kits.

1 hour ago, MartinsCruise said:

Thank you for sharing your experience.  It appears that a person could potentially do this while on a cruise ship to prepare for a follow up cruise on a different cruise line.  All you would need is wifi - no phone calling necessary.  Any others have experience with this yet?

3 hours ago, turquoisewater said:

Not yet, but soon.

We got tested at a Kaiser drive through site today for a cruise out of Seattle on Friday. Kaiser here is extraordinarily efficient at this. In the past, we've gotten our results in 12-16 hours. It was more crowded today, and testing is up, so I won't be shocked if we don't have our results back as quickly. Just in case, we have the monitored test kits on hand.

Upon disembarking, we have appointments at a Kaiser facility in Seattle for new Covid tests, in anticipation of boarding a different ship, on a different line, on the 26th. Again, just in case, we have additional Binax monitored tests. 

Three days after we fly home, we will get back on the second ship here in SoCal. We only have two monitored tests each, so we will order more if we end up needing them for the first two. 

I hope we won't need to use the monitored tests for any cruise, but I'm glad we have back-up plans in place. 

We have some un-monitored test kits, too, just in case we ever feel we need them. 

On another note, our oldest son lives in northwest MT, does your user name have anything to do with beautiful Flathead Lake?

On 9/15/2021 at 6:57 PM, MamaFej said:

Not yet, but soon.

We got tested at a Kaiser drive through site today for a cruise out of Seattle on Friday. Kaiser here is extraordinarily efficient at this. In the past, we've gotten our results in 12-16 hours. It was more crowded today, and testing is up, so I won't be shocked if we don't have our results back as quickly. Just in case, we have the monitored test kits on hand.

Upon disembarking, we have appointments at a Kaiser facility in Seattle for new Covid tests, in anticipation of boarding a different ship, on a different line, on the 26th. Again, just in case, we have additional Binax monitored tests. 

Three days after we fly home, we will get back on the second ship here in SoCal. We only have two monitored tests each, so we will order more if we end up needing them for the first two. 

I hope we won't need to use the monitored tests for any cruise, but I'm glad we have back-up plans in place. 

We have some un-monitored test kits, too, just in case we ever feel we need them. 

On another note, our oldest son lives in northwest MT, does your user name have anything to do with beautiful Flathead Lake?

Actually the name is from the water in the Caribbean.  But, you are correct.  Flathead is beautiful.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2021 at 4:13 PM, MartinsCruise said:

Thanks a bunch for your information on how to use the laptop to get tested. Will do that for our November cruise.

As regards to your husband using a incognito window to log in - Did he use your login or did he have to have his own account on Navica?

Also how did you obtain the tests? Celebrity? or ?

Thanks in advance.

We live in Boise and been having trouble finding a place to get tested. No one does the quick test for us here. Nearest Walgreens that would do the test is in Walla Walla. 4 hours away. 

CVS says they don't do it and neither does AFS. So looks like we may have to do this Celebrity test. 

How does it work anyway? I see we connect with them on video but how do they get the sample from us? Theres just the 2 of us old farts. Should we buy more than one test just in case there's a problem with first test? 

Our final payment is due soon and are so nervous that we won't be able to find a place to do the test before our flight. 

Thank you for your help

On 9/14/2021 at 2:06 PM, seapad said:

You shouldn't need to turn on the camera unless you have turned it off by default. See below link for a walk through on the whole process: 

@pooh/tigger  Please watch this video - it is very helpful and Tony even messes up one test so we learn to not do that!  

• Like 2

I ordered a couple 3-pack tests this morning and I hope the testing goes better than the order process so far.  I think the tests got shipped but my Visa card company identified the Optum website possible fraudulent activity and locked my card.  I received the note that says the tests have shipped but I can't access the package tracking because my computer network says the Optum network isn't secure.

This was supposed to be easy.